Bay Beach Amusement Park Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Randomness

Re: Green Bay's Bay Beach to get the Zippin Pippin

Postby coasterdude5 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm really happy Green Bay made the decision to purchase the Zippin Pippin. No matter how little they can use, at least the "idea" of the coaster can live on somewhere else rather than being forgotten.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby uwgbdork » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am

Hands down, new or used, i am just happy i don't have to drive 3 hours for the nearest coaster anymore!!! This will be less than 2 miles from my apartment and will only cost a dollar to ride. It is all good if you ask me! I have been excited about this for years now since my college newspaper first did an article on the original masterplan when it was simply a proposal. Now only have to wait a year!! I can handle that.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:53 pm

http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/mar/18/its-officialzippin-pippin-belongs-green-bay/

The mayor of Green Bay signed an agreement Thursday to buy Elvis Presley’s favorite roller coaster. Jim Schmitt held a ceremony in which the city officially acquired the rights to the Zippin Pippin. It thrilled Elvis and countless others for years in Memphis, but the wooden roller coaster stopped running when a Memphis amusement park closed down in 2005.

Now, Green Bay will pay $35,000 to acquire the name, the design, and the history of the Zippin Pippin. And they’ll spend $3 million to re-create the classic ride at Bay Beach Amusement Park. Construction will begin this summer – and it’s scheduled to open in May of next year.

Schmitt says Elvis would be proud of the city's purchase. He's looking for private funding for the ride, including, "kids with lemonade stands." Schmitt indicates they're also working on a menu adjustment to add Elvis' favorite food, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, to their concessions.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheScooterGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:40 am

Is Bay Beach's Zippin Pippin a replica?! :wtf:
If so, than why tear down the one at Libertyland?!
You've crossed the boundary, WMG!

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 am

^Zippin Pippin at Libertyland was left standing for many years and was deteriorating. Part of it actually collapsed and none (or very little) of the wood was salvageable. So Bay Beach bought the original design and decided to build it from scratch while trying to still keep that "classic" feel for less money than designing a new wooden coaster.
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 am

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100420/GPG0101/4200538/1978

Green Bay officials have signed a nearly $2 million contract with a consultant to oversee design and construction of the Zippin Pippin roller coaster. Martin & Vleminckx Rides LLC, based near Orlando, Fla., has agreed to shepherd the project starting this summer. The historic wooden roller coaster is scheduled to open in May 2011 at Bay Beach Amusement Park.

Although the consulting deal was signed last week, Martin & Vleminckx already has helped Green Bay procure the mechanical framework of another defunct roller coaster called the Thunder Eagle to build the Zippin Pippin in Green Bay.

Purchasing and refurbishing the secondhand machinery will trim thousands of dollars from the Zippin Pippin price tag, officials said.

City leaders plan to spend $3 million re-creating the Zippin Pippin, which previously operated in Memphis, Tenn., and was renowned as Elvis Presley's favorite amusement park ride. Green Bay parks director Bill Landvatter said Martin & Vleminckx officials were helpful in pursuing the Zippin Pippin purchase from Memphis. Officials are certain the same consulting firm should oversee the project here, Landvatter said.

Martin & Vleminckx partner Chuck Bingham said his company took apart the Thunder Eagle coaster, so officials knew the parts were available. The wooden coaster operated briefly in 2001 in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., before financial difficulties closed the amusement park there. Green Bay has agreed to spend $215,000 purchasing and $182,000 refurbishing the Thunder Eagle's motors, brakes and other mechanics. New parts would have cost at least twice that much, Bingham said, adding that Martin & Vleminckx can attest to the quality of the Thunder Eagle machinery.

"We know exactly what's there and the condition it's in," he said. "All of that equipment will be like new." Using the Thunder Eagle parts and the historic Zippin Pippin design, officials hope to establish a major new attraction at city-owned Bay Beach.

City officials last month finalized the purchase deal, which gives Green Bay exclusive rights to the Zippin Pippin name, design, layout and history. Under its contract, Martin & Vleminckx will provide engineering and design work, acquire all lumber and other raw materials, fabricate the wooden coaster frame, and supervise all construction.

The Florida-based consultants have similarly managed other coaster projects in New York, Arkansas, Texas, Kentucky and elsewhere.

Monty Jasper, vice president of Cedar Fair Entertainment Co., said his Ohio-based company has hired Martin & Vleminckx many times for roller coasters and other projects. He called the consulting firm one of the few outside companies he would trust with virtually any amusement ride need.

"They're kind of a well-rounded group," Jasper said. "They know their p's and q's around wooden coasters and rides in general."
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:01 am

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20104280640

Green Bay city plan commissioners have cleared the way for construction of the Zippin Pippin roller coaster by rezoning the land and easing local height restrictions.

The roller coaster will be located on the west side of Bay Beach Amusement Park on property the city has acquired over the years for park expansion.

The city Plan Commission agreed Monday to rezone the land from residential to public institutional.

Commissioners also unanimously agreed to change the structure height restriction at city-owned Bay Beach from 35 feet to 70 feet to accommodate the new roller coaster.

Both actions must be ratified by the City Council.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:29 am

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100722/GPG0101/7220526/Zippin-Pippin-contract-awarded

Despite concerns that the contractor is not based in Green Bay, the City Council has agreed to award the first contract for the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

SMA Construction Services LLC of Abrams won the job of building the coaster's concrete foundation at a cost of about $513,000.

The company outbid 10 competitors for the job with a proposal that was more than $100,000 below the city's estimated cost for the foundation job.

Some aldermen questioned whether the high-profile roller coaster project should be reserved for contractors based in Green Bay. But other aldermen noted that the second-lowest proposal would have cost the city an extra $65,000.

SMA Construction is scheduled to begin work in mid-August.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Band-Aid » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:34 pm

I know it's going to be a replica, but my main concern is that will it run almost exactly like the old Zippin Pippin? Will there be new trains or will they use the old trains?
"WHAT"
-Lil Jon

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:50 pm

Band-Aid wrote:I know it's going to be a replica, but my main concern is that will it run almost exactly like the old Zippin Pippin? Will there be new trains or will they use the old trains?

I thought the old trains had been previously sold at auction by someone who owns some sort of memorabilia location.

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!