TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Dominator had the trims before the Cobra Roll when Six Flags had the coaster before 2003 (If I am correct). Like Steve said, its a maintenance thing. Its cheaper to put in another trim brake than continual replacement wood and a possible lawsuit from those horrid turns.

^Here we go again with the endless CF complaints. You gotta understand, if putting a trim on a wooden coaster means cheaper maintenance costs and the ride not falling down around itself, then so be it. CF isn't the only park chain to ever trim a wooden coaster, so get the eff over it.

True but in this case they've made a bad ride even worse all in an effort to supposedly improve the ride quality from a comfort standpoint.

^I don't think I've ever noticed the trim brake on Dominator (I know where it is, but I've never felt it being used). Jeff, thanks for posting the video--I also remember when Hurler used to be a great ride.

^ Yeah the video was great! I personally loved seeing all of the old paint jobs on Anaconda and Shockwave. I think its funny that in 1995 they were the two premier coasters in the park other than Rebel Yell and Grizzly, and now, 15 years later, Allot of people can't wait to see them leave(I'm not one of them; (You just gotta know how to ride 'em)).

And CFC, I've never noticed the trims hit as well. Maybe once last summer...

I was standing on the exit sidewalk taking pictures by the Cobra Roll and when the train went by I heard the brake grab. Not that I noticed it on the ride but I heard it hitting when I was standing near it.

Last Sunday with one lap on 305 I completed a two Intimidators in one day run. I was at Carowinds' opening earlier in the day. What a trek to make the other with KD's 8 pm closing that night. I grayed 3/4 of the way through the first turn. The trims killed what I thought could be an El Toro or Maverick midcourse ejector air hill.

Are there any news about what's going on with the I305 wheels?

I mean when the only is that the wheels are getting too hot, the could install fans or something under the station to cool

them down or do something else.

They could install harder wheels to decrease wear but that would cause an increase in speed or they could do the opposite & install softer wheels which would reduce the speeds to a more tolerable level & increase the life span of the wheels but that may result in the ride stalling out.

Hey guys,

How reliable has 305 been this season? In particular last weekend?

I'm planning on being there Saturday and hope to get a few laps as well as some Bear, Lava & Alien action.

Both trains were running all day on Sunday so I'm hoping that they've worked out the issues with the anti-rollbacks for good. More than likely if it does go down, it's just one train needing something minor (new wheel, work on the anti-rollbacks) and they will continue running with just one train. I would advise hitting Volcano first as it gets a long, slow-moving line very early and Intimidator 305 keeps a quick line that shouldn't be over 45 minutes.

Hey guys,

How reliable has 305 been this season? In particular last weekend?

I'm planning on being there Saturday and hope to get a few laps as well as some Bear, Lava & Alien action.

Full queue Saturday night was only 20 minute wait and it was running both trains flawlessly. It had no issues at all the whole weekend that I saw when I was there.

^Here we go again with the endless CF complaints. You gotta understand, if putting a trim on a wooden coaster means cheaper maintenance costs and the ride not falling down around itself, then so be it. CF isn't the only park chain to ever trim a wooden coaster, so get the eff over it.

It operated for nearly two decades now under old management with no trims. All Cedar Fair has done with the woodies at KD is make them worse. It may cost them less money this way, but to me the fact of the matter is all of the rides are worse now and in the end that is all that matters from a guest's standpoint.

It operated for nearly two decades now under old management with no trims. All Cedar Fair has done with the woodies at KD is make them worse. It may cost them less money this way, but to me the fact of the matter is all of the rides are worse now and in the end that is all that matters from a guest's standpoint.

Hurler is the only lousy woodie that they've just made even worse while I've got no complaints about Grizzly's performance so far under CF ownership.

Don't you think that the reason that Hurler is so horrible now is because it has been performing outside of its limits for the last 16 years? I highly doubt some evil person up in Sandusky said *in evil voice* "nyyaahhhh....screw Kings Dominion, we're going to put a trim on Hurler just to piss them off, nyyaahhh!!" Decisions like that are made from an economical and maintenance standpoint. Sure, it may have run without one for 16 years, but now it's a horrible, rough, uncomfortable, piece of junk. You don't think that's a coincidence, do you?

I also rode Grizzly on opening weekend and thought it was running very well. I haven't ridden Rebel Yell since CF bought the park, but I know Thunder Road at Carowinds is going to be fantastic once its 5 year rehab is finished. From what I understand, Hurler is going to get an overhaul once they are done with Thunder Road.

Performing outside its limits? I think a lot of it has to do with the bare minimum amount of work it has been receiving maintenance-wise over the years. I said that I can understand from a financial standpoint why they would want to trim the ride, however from my perspective as someone who simply wants to visit the park and enjoy the ride, I don't like it. Decisions can be made for the park's interests, and guests can find fault in those if they feel it results in a worse experience at the park.

Of course no one had the bright idea of deliberately making the ride worse just to annoy people, the bright idea was save X amount of dollars by needing to replace Y amount of materials over the season. The unfortunate result is a worse ride, which does annoy guests.

Don't you think that the reason that Hurler is so horrible now is because it has been performing outside of its limits for the last 16 years? I highly doubt some evil person up in Sandusky said *in evil voice* "nyyaahhhh....screw Kings Dominion, we're going to put a trim on Hurler just to piss them off, nyyaahhh!!" Decisions like that are made from an economical and maintenance standpoint. Sure, it may have run without one for 16 years, but now it's a horrible, rough, uncomfortable, piece of junk. You don't think that's a coincidence, do you?

I just think that it's odd that they'd want to totally ruin a ride that only had its insane amounts of airtime going for it. Sure it cuts on maintenance costs, but now Hurler has absolutely nothing going for it. As I said earlier I overheard GP saying "That was so much slower!" If Cedar Fair really wanted to they could have retracked the entire thing, whether it be all in one year or over multiple years like Thunder Road and Rebel Yell and that would have made it better, structurally and experience-wise. I loved Hurler when it had mass amounts of airtime and I still enjoy the roughness that it has because it's not actually painful, but the no airtime thing makes me not want to ride it.