Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1870 - Grand Carnivale at Kings Dominion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby eddie200330 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:03 pm

pkdcoaster wrote:
I305 went down for about an hour from about 2-3 While I was waiting for it.
They will not run 2 trains on I305 unless it is really busy cause they are having a real problem keeping the wheels cool so they run one train half the day then switch them.

JEFF

Didn't CP do the same thing with MF when it first opened. I remember the first season or so they kept switching trains off and on all day.
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Sat May 08, 2010 8:28 pm

redfoot12 wrote:
pkdcoaster wrote: I keep waiting for them to retrack the turns to make the ride more enjoyable but I guess that won't happen.

I keep waiting for them to dump the ride and build a GCI in its place.

Agreed. First of all it's really rough. No amount of retracking could prevent the massive spine alteration that ride provides. Second, and last, it's not a popular ride at all. Even on the most crowded days, I have only ever seen the line at the bottom of the stairs(about 10 minutes max).

In all honesty, it would be better to just replace the thing, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon :|.
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sat May 08, 2010 9:11 pm

CardCraze wrote:
redfoot12 wrote:
pkdcoaster wrote: I keep waiting for them to retrack the turns to make the ride more enjoyable but I guess that won't happen.

I keep waiting for them to dump the ride and build a GCI in its place.

Agreed. First of all it's really rough. No amount of retracking could prevent the massive spine alteration that ride provides. Second, and last, it's not a popular ride at all. Even on the most crowded days, I have only ever seen the line at the bottom of the stairs(about 10 minutes max).

In all honesty, it would be better to just replace the thing, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon :|.

I agree,why continue to throw money into a ride that next to nobody is interested in riding due in large part to it's roughness?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 pm

I still think it's funny (sad?) that people who go to Magic Mountain think that Terminator is a rethemed Psyclone. People who went to KD would probably think the same if a GCI went where Hurler resides.

I'd also like to add that I rode Hurler in 1995 for the first time and thought it was a fun ride. I rode it in either 2006 or 2007 and decided I'd never ride it again.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 am

^ If KD's Hurler is anything similar to what Carowinds Hurler does with the trim break then I probably wont be taking a ride on it anytime this season.

I have found grizzly a smoother woodie, which is quite sad. The best thing that the park could do would be to remove the Hurler and put an attraction back there that will draw a crowd.

BTW, is Shockwave (the forgotten coaster) still closed?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 am

KDcoasterMAN wrote:BTW, is Shockwave (the forgotten coaster) still closed?

King Dominion's shockwave? Unfortunately, no -- it was open May 1st.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Just got back home from a few hours at the park and both Shockwave and Hurler were open. I walked to Hurler around 1:45 and there was nobody in the queue and walked right up to the front row. This was with one train operation. It felt smoother to me than last year and I saw the two trims at the bottom of the hill but it didn't feel like they were doing anything to the ride.

I almost had a roll back on Volcano for my first time today but it slowly made it over the hill.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Sun May 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Cedar Fair is ruining our woodies. :(

No backwards Rebel Yell, removing what little forest was left around Grizzly, trimming Hurler making what was a rough ride that at least had a couple moments of decent airtime into a rough airtime-less piece of junk. Oh well... I305 is awesome so it balances out.

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Sun May 09, 2010 6:34 pm

For those of you that were not around when Hurler was new it was an Awesome ride when it opened in 1994. Smooth as glass with monster airtime on most of the hills. Here is a video from 1995 that I took. Check out the Hurler scenes! Very smooth and fast and you can see the people getting ejector air in the front. Video is a good look down memory lane too.

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

Enjoy, JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Sun May 09, 2010 6:37 pm

I went to KD today and I must say, as much as I used to love Hurler, it's now officially a piece of crap. The trim is at the bottom of the first drop and it is REALLY strong. I even heard the GP say "That was WAY slower than it used to be!!" Thanks Cedar Fair...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!