TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high.

I don't think many people have as high expectations for the ride as you think.

Just be happy that even though it has taken a few years longer than expected they haven't stopped investing in the park, and they are already working on other projects.

I live 15 minutes away from the park. Trust me, everyone I've talked to about it (while not enthusiasts) are A) fed up with how long it's taking and B) expecting an amazing ride.

Just be happy that even though it has taken a few years longer than expected they haven't stopped investing in the park, and they are already working on other projects.

I live 15 minutes away from the park. Trust me, everyone I've talked to about it (while not enthusiasts) are A) fed up with how long it's taking and B) expecting an amazing ride.

A) No body expected it to take this long and Knoebels is still putting out a great effort to get it open as soon as possible and they also need to make sure it is done right.

B) Who knows what the final product will be like. Some will love it some will hate it thats just how it is.

But I think when it is done it will be a nice family ride and something Knoebels can be proud of.

But I think when it is done it will be a nice family ride and something Knoebels can be proud of.

I think over time, you're probably right. Just like the Mack bobsleds you see at other parks. They don't blow people away, but it's a nice family ride.

In the short term though, I think people may be disappointed. I'm not sure how much more of a wild ride this version of the Bobsled is going to be over the current steel/fiberglass models out there, but if it ends up being equivellent fo a "Wooden Mack Bobsled" then I'm not sure it's going to meet some people's expectations.

I wonder if Knoebel's had known how long this was going to be in development for if they would have just opted for a really nice junior woodie instead...

Unless of course the ride turns out to be balls out crazy....

Edited by robbalvey

^I still have high expectations for the ride. I base this on listening to some podcasts from Knoebels where they discussed how the modern bobsled rides were "only a fraction as fun" as the old Flying Turns rides. I believe Dick himself had ridden one of the old Flying Turns rides. I'll take their word for it for now.

And if it just turns out to be only as good as a steel bobsled coaster, I do not care. I'd rather spend the day at Knoebels than just about any other park in the world.

Building a project as complicated in so many ways like this has to be a real challenge. I give -major- props to Knoebels for even attempting something that was going to cause headaches like this. How many people would ever say that Six Flags would even -try- to build such a machine? Very few, I'm quite sure. As a result, we wait. Patiently.

I am reminded of a quote= "To the victors go the spoils of war" when looking at it: A one of a kind bobsled, which hasn't been resurrected in wood in decades. That in itself is free promotion, despite the setbacks. Imagine the kind of news coverage such a thing will provide if marketed right.

I often wonder if the fine people at Knoebels will be brave enough to go after a classic steel coaster, such as a few of the ideas that Herr Achterbahn had been working on prior to his untimely passing. A 'reworked' Figure 8 bahn comes to mind, as with Knoebels preserving classic designs for future generations to enjoy we could see some true classics of the steel era come back to life- and hopefully as intense and wonderful as the predecessors were (Anyone remember the Thriller before it was 'neutered'?) Or could we encourage them to go after the MOTHER of all 'classic' woodies: the Crystal Beach Cyclone? I'll admit that it would have to be modernized for safety- but what a thrill it would be to give the CBC a go or three.

In short: Knoebels has the balls to try the 'long forgotten' designs of the past. They are paying a -very small- price for keeping our future generations historically informed on what very few of us have been able to ride on.

R.D.

I often wonder if the fine people at Knoebels will be brave enough to go after a classic steel coaster, such as a few of the ideas that Herr Achterbahn had been working on prior to his untimely passing. A 'reworked' Figure 8 bahn comes to mind, as with Knoebels preserving classic designs for future generations to enjoy we could see some true classics of the steel era come back to life- and hopefully as intense and wonderful as the predecessors were (Anyone remember the Thriller before it was 'neutered'?) Or could we encourage them to go after the MOTHER of all 'classic' woodies: the Crystal Beach Cyclone? I'll admit that it would have to be modernized for safety- but what a thrill it would be to give the CBC a go or three.

In short: Knoebels has the balls to try the 'long forgotten' designs of the past. They are paying a -very small- price for keeping our future generations historically informed on what very few of us have been able to ride on.

R.D.

I don't know how true this is, but years ago I was told Knoebel's had the plans to both the Rye Airplane Coaster and Idora Wildcat. Even if they were considering trying to resurrect one of them, I don't know where they would've put it. Unless I'm forgetting a place, the mountain is really the only place they have left if they want to build a major coaster.

If this ride is so much as average, they're going to get blasted for it,

Blasted by who? People on a roller coaster board? The ride could totally suck, or even never open, people will still go to Knoebels in droves and it will still be the greatest park around, and I don't think they're gonna lose much sleep over what a few people have to say about their new ride not opening on time.

I only have 2 things to say about the whole Flying Turns issue...

Firstly, It'll be done when its done, so stop complaining. Despite this one taking longer than usual, Knoebels has had a long history of constructing things slowly. This is partially because they are all HOME MADE and therefore unique and take extra care/time to do right. And usually its a quality>quantity thing since most of thier stuff is epic win. Plus the fact that they ARE working on other projects concurrently. They've started restoring a long defunct coaster and made a new kiddie since then....

Second, for those of you that dont think it will be thrilling enough, too bad. Even if this doesn't turn out to be the most amazing ride in the world, Knoebels still HAS the best wood I've ever been on. So if your really complaining about the Turns that much, the just give Phoenix some loving. Just means one less person in line for the new coaster I have to wait behind.

-Reon, who will continue to wait patiently as he plans his next Knoebels visit SINCE ITS THE BEST PARK EVER

If this ride is so much as average, they're going to get blasted for it,

Blasted by who? People on a roller coaster board? The ride could totally suck, or even never open, people will still go to Knoebels in droves and it will still be the greatest park around, and I don't think they're gonna lose much sleep over what a few people have to say about their new ride not opening on time.

Local GP people, for one, and they make up nearly all of Knoebel's attendance numbers. It's not something that's going to cause people to stop going, but it's going to be a black eye of sorts on the park's otherwise flawless record.

I think that enthusiasts will be satisfied with the end result because we realize how difficult the task Knoebels has undertaken is.

Meanwhile, I think the GP will be fine because it is truly going to be a one-of-a-kind ride.

Local GP people, for one, and they make up nearly all of Knoebel's attendance numbers. It's not something that's going to cause people to stop going, but it's going to be a black eye of sorts on the park's otherwise flawless record.

How many local GP people are you referring to? I'm local, the people I know that go to Knoebels don't even go for thrills, they go for the atmosphere, the prices, the fact that it's local, and company picnics. The past few years Knoebels has had their best years despite the crappy economy. Was it last year or the year before their opening day was by far the most crowded they ever had? Do you really think that people, who aren't enthusiasts, are gonna stop going to Knoebels if FT doesn't open?

How many local GP people are you referring to? I'm local, the people I know that go to Knoebels don't even go for thrills, they go for the atmosphere, the prices, the fact that it's local, and company picnics. The past few years Knoebels has had their best years despite the crappy economy. Was it last year or the year before their opening day was by far the most crowded they ever had? Do you really think that people, who aren't enthusiasts, are gonna stop going to Knoebels if FT doesn't open?

No, which is why I said:

It's not something that's going to cause people to stop going, but it's going to be a black eye of sorts on the park's otherwise flawless record.

It's making them look really bad. I know several people who already think that they've given up on it because there hasn't been any visual (or any other) signs of progress in nearly a year.

I just noticed that they have a notice up on Kozmo's Facebook page now,

The Flying Turns is not ready to open. We won't open the ride until we are 100% satisfied that the ride is both safe and thrilling. The originals were thrilling but not up to current safety standards. We're working on solving that.

So hopefully the final result won't be boring. But, I wish they'd explain in detail what the issues are. It's only 25mph, it's not going to pull a Whistler.

Had a great opening day and thanks to alot of track work Phoenix is running even better! Twister also had some work.

Dick gave a little speech during Lunch and told us about Black Diamond and mentioned work on the building should start monday!

Dick also mentioned that one of the recent earthquakes in california has put a delay on the progress of Flying Turns. Because the guys designing the trains has been locked out of his apartment due to damage to received and the data is locked in his apartment.

Here are a few photos of Black Diamond.

25132_1453061169099_1310377347_1272002_1203219_n.jpg.6a3129bb60062a9cb310c7dc20d7392c.jpg

25132_1453064329178_1310377347_1272009_6060779_n.jpg.dbb841f7bb57dc3846611096d3a4a235.jpg

25132_1453063529158_1310377347_1272008_7528558_n.jpg.a74cf7ab24a7fa1a18f32d96fe63ab88.jpg

OMG we have Vertical Construction!

Dick also mentioned that one of the recent earthquakes in california has put a delay on the progress of Flying Turns. Because the guys designing the trains has been locked out of his apartment due to damage to received and the data is locked in his apartment.

WHAT?!?!?

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

WHAT?!?!?

Eh, you'd be surprised. I've seen projects locked up for similar things that happen to one guy on the team. These days we try to keep everything on a server that everyone can access, but there's always stuff that people have to do off-line. At this point it hardly makes a difference anyway...

WHAT?!?!?

I thought the same thing when I heard that. But if a building is determined unsafe and the local government condemneds it than unfortunately no one can get in. Of course when your original file and back up are in the same building that does create a problem.

^Exactly.

Two things don't make sense about this:

1. There haven't been any earthquakes here that have led to building closures or anything being deemed unsafe. Trust me, if there was, it would be all over the news as Californians live for crap like that!

2. Having your backup and files and work, all that stuff in the same location with no remote access or backup is equally dumb and that person should be kicked off the project!

But then again, that goes back to one of my earlier points in this thread that Knoebels is doing this project with a small budget and no real time line so these are the types of workers you're left with!

^Exactly.

Two things don't make sense about this:

1. There haven't been any earthquakes here that have led to building closures or anything being deemed unsafe. Trust me, if there was, it would be all over the news as Californians live for crap like that!

There was one a few weeks back with the epicenter just south of the US Mexico border that was felt in some parts of California.

I just noticed that they have a notice up on Kozmo's Facebook page now,
The Flying Turns is not ready to open. We won't open the ride until we are 100% satisfied that the ride is both safe and thrilling. The originals were thrilling but not up to current safety standards. We're working on solving that.

So hopefully the final result won't be boring. But, I wish they'd explain in detail what the issues are. It's only 25mph, it's not going to pull a Whistler.

Maybe the only reason the originals were thrilling was because of the lack of safety standards.

^^That makes two of us who can't recall any reports of buildings being damaged by that quake.

I also agree that it is ridiculous to not have a backup anywhere.

Edited by Jew

^Yeah, thanks, I know that, I live here and felt it. It didn't ruin any buildings.

Several blocks of buildings in downtown Calexico, California were closed off after the Easter quake due to building damage (including two buildings that partially collapsed), and several buildings are still closed according to the town's website: http://www.calexico.ca.gov/