TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Europe in the Air, i was wondering what that smell was. Took me forever to wade through all the coaster talk. Fist it was a trip report, then this coaster vs that coaster, and then it went to types of coasters, and then it got way to geeky for me and i didn't understand any of it.

Oh and by the way, robb didn't look that bad, you didn't have that frumpy "i been leading crazy coaster people around for days" look. Looks like you been hitting the gym. Those glasses gotta go though, they make you look like a tore up old man. Get lasic and be done with it.

Oh and all them 90's nick show were terrible. KT has yo gabba gabba, nuff said.

Europe in the Air actually sounds like fun. I just hope it's nothing like Corkscrew Hill. I love simulators, I mean I'm one of the few people I think that still loves Star Tours in Disney World and I'm still upset over the Back to the future ride being gone but I DID NOT like Corkscrew Hill. Much to rough and I felt I was going to fall out of my seat a few times. The movie it's self was cute and all but the ride was just awful.

From Busch Gardens facebook it sounds like Friday will be soft opening for Europe in the Air.

Busch Gardens Planning on coming to the park Friday? Well, come early and celebrate Ireland’s newest attractions – Celtic Fyre’s grand opening and test flights for Europe in the Air. The park opens at 9 a.m. for the special day. We’ll see you there.

Busch Gardens has applied for a 260 ft. height waiver!

JAMES CITY

Busch Gardens is seeking permission from James City County to build a new thrill ride for the 35-year-old theme park.

Park officials filed an application Tuesday with the county's planning department for height restrictions waiver for a "new ride not to exceed 260 feet above ground level," the county Web site said. Griffon is 205 feet high.

According to the application, the ride will be located in the park's Germany section.

Busch Gardens is opening a new a new simulated ride this season called "Europe Up in the Air." However, the Griffon ride— which opened in 2007— was the last roller coaster the park built.

Check back at dailypress.com and in Thursday's Daily Press for more on this developing story.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/williamsburg/dp-local_buschgardens_0429apr29,0,286647.story

^Exciting!

I don't want to get mine or anyone elses hopes up, but I'd like to bring up the fact that Intamin almost never sells something by itself, it always offers packages sometimes several rides at once, or sometimes several rides over a period of time.

Perhaps if BGT is really getting an Intamin Launched Coaster we could see BGW getting a kickass Intamin Drop Tower?!?!

I've always thought the Busch parks were lacking in the drop ride department!!!!

^^ I could really care less what it is as long as it is something close to that high ... And an Intamin to go along with all the B&M goodness they already have

Also, the soft opening of Europe in the Air hasn't gotten any love. No one going to check it out on Friday?

Here's more from today's Virginia Gazette:

Tower ride powers Busch

Busch Gardens plans to build a 26-story “tower” coaster that will easily eclipse the 205-foot peak of Griffon.

Blackstone to invest millions to remain competitive

By Cortney Langley

Modified: Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Originally Published:

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:17 AM EDT

JAMES CITY — Busch Gardens plans to build a 26-story “tower” coaster that will easily eclipse the 205-foot peak of Griffon.

An application to the county for a height waiver describes a “thrill attraction of a single tower not to exceed 260 feet above ground level.” That strongly suggests a drop coaster, along the lines of “Tower of Terror” at Universal Orlando or “Drop Zone” at Kings Island in Cincinnati, which tops out at 315 feet and holds 40 passengers.

A similar drop coaster ride is in Germany’s Hansapark. “Monte Zuma” lifts 30 riders 160 feet in the air, and either drops them, catapults them up, or goes up and down like a yo-yo.

The Busch application is timely, since the theme park tends to roll out a new ride every three years. A balloon was lofted last Thursday to gauge the visibility of the ride.

Expansion reinforces Busch’s place as the driver of tourism in greater Williamsburg.

The new ride will be located in Germany, next to Der Wirbelwind swing ride. The plans suggest the ride will not be built on the site of the Big Bad Wolf, which has been retired.

The Griffon was the last coaster, in 2007. Typically thrill ride blogs are loaded with speculation long before the rides open, but those websites have focused on the “Europe in the Air” simulation ride that Busch Gardens will debut this year.

The investment of millions in a new coaster shows that Blackstone Group, which bought Busch Entertainment’s 10 parks last year, is willing to invest heavily in new hardware before attempting to flip the park. Last week Blackstone released its first-quarter financials for 2010, reporting a $360 million profit. That’s a big turnaround from an $82 million loss a year earlier.

I'm sure that Universal will be surprised to find that it has a "Tower of Terror."

^Journalism at its finest right there!

Well, it is the Virginia Gazette--one of the worst papers anywhere.

^I recall Screamscape mentioning something about an indoor, themed drop tower for BGW a while back, but I can't find it on there now. I think something along the lines of Phantasialand's Mystery Tower would be pretty cool.

^Journalism at its finest right there!

Well, it is the Virginia Gazette--one of the worst papers anywhere.

^I recall Screamscape mentioning something about an indoor, themed drop tower for BGW a while back, but I can't find it on there now. I think something along the lines of Phantasialand's Mystery Tower would be pretty cool.

You also gotta love how its a "Tower Coaster" too!

Wonder if this paper would refer to a carousel as a "Walking Horse Coaster".

This is just PURE speculation, but if the rumors hold true that the next BGT coaster is an Intamin, I do wonder if they may have done a multi-package deal?

A coaster for BGT, and Drop Ride for BGW, a ??? for Sea World....

Also, remember that the indoor drop ride at Phantasialand is also an Intamin...I couldn't see Busch putting in your 'typical, off the shelf drop tower', but I can totally see them doing something like Mystery Castle...

Remember that Blackstone/Merlin owns a LOT of parks in Europe, so I can totally see them taking ideas from other European parks! Furius Baco, Mystery Castle, what next?

--Robb

Also, remember that the indoor drop ride at Phantasialand is also an Intamin...I couldn't see Busch putting in your 'typical, off the shelf drop tower', but I can totally see them doing something like Mystery Castle...

I don't know BGE but wouldn't a 260 feet castle look a bit too dominating and odd?

Still, if they can pull something along the lines of Mystery Castle, they'll have a winner. I absolutely LOVE that ride and the fact that it's indoors makes the drop seem larger than it actually is. Plus the capacity would be on pair with the other major rides at the park. Makes sense to me.

^^ That would be a nice idea though... While looking at Donkey, "I think that he's compensating for something? Heh?"

I'm rather curious where the ride would be located in the germany section of Octoberfest, it was mentioned near the De Whirlbel... I really don't see that much space over there unless the BBW Station would be removed or one of the flats would be removed. My speculation is the Bumper Cars. It's a very less than travels section of the park and it will bring more visitors back there and hopefully be the beginning of an expansion.

I don't know BGE but wouldn't a 260 feet castle look a bit too dominating and odd?

Still, if they can pull something along the lines of Mystery Castle, they'll have a winner. I absolutely LOVE that ride and the fact that it's indoors makes the drop seem larger than it actually is. Plus the capacity would be on pair with the other major rides at the park. Makes sense to me.

Remember that the Tower of Terror building at WDW is actually 199 feet tall, so realistically another 60 feet is not *that* much bigger.