TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Wow, at my church today I went to a funeral for a friend who's husband is named Dick. At the reception drinking a Yuengling, my table talked about the Yuengling brewery not too far from Knoebels and I talked to my father about returning to the park soon, going to Centralia, and going on that brewery tour while in that area.

Here's the full obit- [edit- The Daily Item of Sunbury, PA has posted the obit- here's the link: http://www.legacy.com/dailyitem/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=136682921 ] This was taken from r.r-c.

Barbara Ellen (Cook) Knoebel passed into the Lord’s eternal peace

Friday, November 27, 2009 at the age of 66. She died peacefully at her

home at 206 Knoebels Boulevard, Elysburg, with her family by her side.

Born May 3rd, 1943 in Lykens, Pennsylvania, Barbara was the daughter

of the late Charles and Elizabeth Cook. She was a 1961 graduate of

Lykens High School and furthered her education at Polyclinic Hospital

becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse.

Barbara married Richard Knoebel on February 10th, 1968, a marriage

that lasted until her death, a span of over 41 years. They are the

parents of two sons, Richard A. and Brian L. Knoebel.

Barbara was a member of Elysburg Presbyterian Church. She was an

active member of Order of the Eastern Star having served as Worthy

Matron of Iris Chapter #306, Shamokin. She held the statewide office

of Grand Adah during 1984-85 and traveled throughout Pennsylvania in

this capacity. She was also active in the Pennsylvania Amusement Parks

Association and the International Association of Amusement Parks and

Attractions. She served on several IAAPA committees, most notable the

original Hall of Fame Committee.

At Knoebels Amusement Resort, Barbara was an important member of the

family business. She worked side by side with Dick serving as Manager

of the park office and Group Sales Manager. In the latter capacity she

assisted groups in planning outings and arranged catered meals for

thousands of guests each season.

In September Dick and Barbara traveled to California where Amusement

Today, an industry publication, honored them with the Golden Ticket

award as industry Persons of the Year for 2009.

In addition to her husband and sons, she is survived by four

granddaughters, Haley, Hannah, Abigail and Ashley. She is also

survived by a brother, Walter Cook, of Gowen City, sister in law Ruth

Cook, brother in law Ronald Knoebel and his family and sister in law

Leanna Knoebel Muscato and her family.

In addition to her parents, Barbara was preceded in death by brothers

Charles “Boom” Cook and Donald Cook.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Alan Horne Funeral Home.

Visitation will be held at the Elysburg Presbyterian Church, Friday

December 4th beginning at 5:00 pm and Saturday, December 5th beginning

at 9:00 am. Services are scheduled for 11:00 am at the church.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in

Barbara’s memory to Give Kids the World, Attn: Development, 210 S.

Bass Road, Kissimmee, FL 34746.

• 4 weeks later...

There is good and bad news on Kozmo Knoebel's Facebook page.

The good news is that the eagles have been moved into their new enclosure, and the Schoolhouse and Covered Wagon cottages have been moved. (I didn't know they had Schoolhouse and Covered Wagon cottages!)

The bad news is that we shouldn't expect Black Diamond to open before 2011 I know that they never gave a definite time for it, but Dick seemed optimistic at PPP this year and with them clearing the land for it before the new year even arrives, I'm surprised that they don't think they'll be able to construct it in one season. (I'm hoping that this means that labor is being diverted into getting Flying Turns ready for spring -- but they've been curiously silent on that since the new car chassis arrived last month.)

• 3 weeks later...

^With the finish that they have added to the trough, they would have to.

With work starting on Black Diamond, it sounds like things might've gone well with Flying Turns. I wonder what the final designs for the cars look like?

EDIT: I found a picture on Knoebels's facebook page that is over a month old now. Looks like the transfer track setion has been installed.

15457_337009630550_207828210550_9932587_4835239_n.jpg.ac85e24c07fa5119db066fff220067e5.jpg

Photo from Knoebels's facebook page.

• 1 month later...
Mar 05, 2010 (The News-Item - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- RALPHO TOWNSHIP -- Thrill ride fans will have to wait until 2011 for something new at Knoebels Amusement Resort.

That's when Black Diamond is slated to debut.

The ride -- originally called the Golden Nugget -- will be moved from Hunt's Pier in Wildwood, N.J., according to Knoebels spokesman Joe Muscato.

"It's a combination of a gentle family roller coaster and a horror ride," Muscato said, noting the theme was gold mining, appropriate for not only the coal region, but also the park.

"We've started construction for the (ride's) building adjacent to the mining museum," Muscato said. "We had to move the eagles and cottages."

From there, it's a simple transition from gold mining to coal mining.

"The ride has a great reputation," Muscato said. "It hasn't run in a number of years, but a lot of people were excited to see it saved."

In the meantime, the park will continue to offer its classic variety of fun family entertainment and quality food at low prices.

Well, that, and the continued tweaking of Flying Turns. Introduced in 2006, the company is still working on the ride, which has gone through a number of growing pains.

"It'll be done when it's done," Muscato said. "I'm not going to call attention until it's finished properly."

The issue, he said, is taking a bobsled-style ride design from the 1920s and '30s, and making it meet modern performance standards.

"We've been testing a new train design with encouraging results," Muscato said.

Last year's attendance numbers were good, considering the economy and Mother Nature. Muscato is hoping for more of the same this year.

"In terms of economy, we're a good alternative. With free parking and free entrance to the park, it makes us more attractive," Muscato said. "We didn't get a good hot streak for the pool, and we had quite a bit of rain, though. We'll see what the weather brings."

Knoebels will be teeing off on a couple of projects at Three Ponds Golf Course next door, according to Muscato. The company will be installing a computer-guided irrigation system. That system will afford finer control to keep the fairways and greens in even better condition, Muscato said. That should be online by late winter or early spring.

Also, Three Ponds will be expanding its youth clinics. Now, when junior golfers begins lessons, they'll be handed a flag, similar to those seen on hole pins. And with each achievement reached during golf lessons, the teen will be awarded a patch that can be placed on the flag.

"As a young golfer reaches different milestones, they can attach the patches to the flag," Muscato said. "They can gain a sense of accomplishment as they learn about the game."

Tomorrow will also be Knoebels' annual job fair, which is slated for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Elysburg Fire Company. Muscato is expecting high numbers once again. Last year, there were 1,200 to 1,300 job hunters in attendance.

"The economy is still rough. We'll see what happens. We'll have all the managers there," Muscato said, those representing rides, entertainment, food services and games. "It's a good opportunity (for job seekers). Kids can go and apply right there. They usually schedule a follow-up interview that day."

The Carousel Organ Association of America will be bringing anywhere from 40 to 50 organs into the park from June 12 and 13.

The event, which runs every two years, "is a great chance to see everything from hand-crank street organs to trailer-mounted carousel organs," Muscato said. "We do it every other year to keep it fresh. This is the year they're coming in."

www.news.tradingcharts.com/futures/5/1/136289115.html

• 1 month later...

It seems like it's been quiet as far progress goes so I'm guessing that it could either be a good or bad thing. With opening day tomorrow, could it be possible for the park to suprise us and open it? I wonder what the trains will look like?

It seems like it's been quiet as far progress goes so I'm guessing that it could either be a good or bad thing. With opening day tomorrow, could it be possible for the park to suprise us and open it? I wonder what the trains will look like?

Honestly/sadly, FT isn't even worth talking about anymore. They're obviously not having a problem with being lethargic and (seemingly) borderline lazy about this project. I know it's a prototype, but it should not take FIVE YEARS to build one ride.

Honestly/sadly, FT isn't even worth talking about anymore. They're obviously not having a problem with being lethargic and (seemingly) borderline lazy about this project. I know it's a prototype, but it should not take FIVE YEARS to build one ride.

I wouldn't call it laziness. Just over-ambition.

Construction started on Flying Turns in 2006, but issues with the ride's wheels and other complications have pushed back the opening. Recently, the park ordered a new set of cars for the ride, and testing continues on them.

"I often say that we are still in the research and development portion of the ride," Muscato said. "We did a series of tests with the new car and are now addressing the things that we learned in that series of tests, so we can use that in the next version. It is something that is just going to take time."

Originally built in the 1930s, work has been slow-going on the free-form coaster ride, which does not use a track, but wooden chutes, much like a bobsled travels its course.

Park officials have said in the past that the process is like reinventing the wheel, since a ride like Flying Turns has not been seen in America in more than 40 years and none are currently in operation worldwide.

Excerpt from the following article:

republicanherald.com/news/knoebels-updates-infrastructure-1.739600

^I love Knoebels as much as the next person but that article is a total cop out. Please, you're 'reinventing the wheel', pat yourself on the back much?!?! That's absurd.

The simple truth is they're doing this with a very small budget, and don't have a real timeline so it's going to take A LONG TIME with lots of random trial and error.

Edited by SharkTums

I would rather have seen them shell out this money for a Boulder Dash-esque woodie, or even something like a Maurer Sohne spinning wild mouse in Whirlwind's place, at least that would be open by now.

I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high. If this ride is so much as average, they're going to get blasted for it, moreso than they would have had it just been a traditional over-the-winter construction.

I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high.

I don't think many people have as high expectations for the ride as you think.

Just be happy that even though it has taken a few years longer than expected they haven't stopped investing in the park, and they are already working on other projects.

I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high.

+1!

If they're having that much trouble making the train "behave", who's to say that the final version won't be so tame as to lose all the thrill? I mean, the only other bobsled I've been on is Disaster Transport, but it's my least-favorite coaster (non-painful coaster anyway) of any kind anywhere. (Yes, I'm aware that a Flying Turns layout is completely unlike any other bobsled layout, but slow is slow.)