Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 833: Iron Gwazi video & info!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The classic!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Discussion Thread

Postby dr.gumbo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 am

Boom!

In the upper left hand corner of the pic, there is a diagram showing the X, Y, and Z axes, and the Z axis is labeled as "nach oben" - this is German, and literally it means "after over". As I am not fluent in German, my best guess of translation is something along the lines of "top view", but I can't say for sure. Can any of the German members translate this correctly?

Anyway, the fact that there is German text on the blueprints immediately discounts B&M as the company, because B&M is in one of the French areas of Switzerland, and looking at the address of B&M's office, even their address is in French. So that leaves about three major companies left that might be the designers of the ride:

It could be Intamin, as the sheer size of the coaster and how spread out the layout is from the top view signifies that the layout is probably low to the ground (60 feet or less most of the time is my guess) points to a potential Wing Walker design. Plus, it's not unlike Intamin to build multiple lift/launch coasters.
I can see how they can theme it after an African bird or something, kind of like SheiKra (but then again, Furius Baco is themed to a vineyard) My guess is closer to a Wing Walker. As with Tranan, the wide profile of the trains seems ample to fix a bird with outstretched wings.
Although Intamin's sit down coasters are obviously more popular, they are much more compact than this layout; seeing as the layout resembles Furius Baco, my bet is a Wing Walker. Plus, Intamin is in a German speaking area of Switzerland (the biggest giveaway is again the address - Wollerau seems pretty German to me)

It could still be Mack, because it doesn't appear to have many block brakes, signaling a company that uses a small number of large trains (Gerstlauer and Maurer Soehne are the companies I am primarily referring to) and that company has so far made only one launched coaster, so they have the aura of the "shiny new toy" if you know what I mean. Plus, it's a German company. However, Intamin is more popular.

For the people who said that there were corkscrews and Zero-G Rolls, I doubt it. (Assuming it's a wing walker.) The only way I can give definitive proof is that if someone blows up the picture while simultaneously keeping it just as clear as the original photo of the blueprints - if I can see how the supports are connected to the track, I'd probably be able to guess if the coaster goes upside down or not.
Due to the diameter of the trains, the rolls have to be much longer to minimize the G's on the rider, so my guess is that those "corkscrews" at the top of the blueprints are just S-Bends, as they are pretty tight. (Similar to Kennywood's Sky Rocket or Seabreeze's Whirlwind.) But a Zero-G Roll could still be up in the air, as that can be done gradually.
However, looking at the pre-launch portion of the ride, those turns seem pretty sharp for a wing walker. Although the coaster can probably make those turns based on the articulation of the trains and their wheel assemblies, it still appears to be somewhat uncharacteristically tight when compared to Furius Baco.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby sam06pr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am

^^^
I don't doubt it will be intamin...just take a look here on this link I am pretty sure is them.
A wing walker? well I don't think it will be a wing walker, but you never know. Of course the big rumor is that it will most certainly be themed to a Cheetah, fast and low to the ground.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Could you imagine the price tag on a wing walker of that size. ... projected 4400+ feet.

I'm still sticking with a Maverick type coaster for the time being.

Over obsessive disney disorder

Postby DarkStitch626 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:35 pm

This has probably been said already, so I will make it brief. Has anyone thought multiple launches and with a layout like this it could be an extreme version of California Screamin' I mean what does that have? 1-2 inclined launches and one flat? :br

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Went to Busch Gardens today, and boy do I have some photos. They have 3 new topiaries growing at the stables, and the path is completely laid out with markers! Here are some pics.
HPIM1574 (640x478).jpg
Kangaroo
HPIM1575 (640x478).jpg
Cheetah
HPIM1576 (640x478).jpg
Giraffe (sorry for the no head!)
HPIM1582 (640x478).jpg
Path from the Skyride
HPIM1585 (640x478).jpg
Path towards Edge of Africa
HPIM1607 (640x478).jpg
Same path from the view of the Hyena/Lion section
HPIM1610 (640x478).jpg
And just so they remember what they were doing!
HPIM1614 (640x478).jpg
Outline of construction? You may notice the spray paint on the edge of the cliff next to the flags.
HPIM1618 (640x478).jpg
More outline
HPIM1605 (640x478).jpg
This was by the Lemurs in the Edge of Africa
HPIM1617 (640x478).jpg
And one more flag by the waterfall. I hope I'll be able to update more in August or September when there is more to see!

TPR Trip: InimidaTOUR
TPR Bash: East Coast Bash (2010), Busch Gardens Bash

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby sam06pr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:29 pm

DarkStitch626 wrote:This has probably been said already, so I will make it brief. Has anyone thought multiple launches and with a layout like this it could be an extreme version of California Screamin' I mean what does that have? 1-2 inclined launches and one flat? :br

It has been said to have 3... the description of the blue prints does seem to indicate so. :b :b :b

Awesome pics jjune4991!!! Those topiary look interesting. I am sure they mean they are attached to the several projects going on.

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Deleted by author
Last edited by themeparkman25 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:15 pm.
Follow the construction of my Manta Model!.*
1/16/12 - Construction Complete!
*Model is being build from scratch.

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Those are some nifty pics, and remind me of the installation of Storm Runner back in 2003/2004. One thing I did notice from the pics is there is a similarity (of course, it's all relative) to those of the aformentioned SR- and just about the same pacing between 'markers' as SR; whether this is an indicator of an Intamin or not I'll not guess- as we all know, such similarities are purely coincidental...

I'm putting 1-1 it's an Intamin, though-

Did Medusa in the front and back

Postby atem122 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Plus, Intamin is in a German speaking area of Switzerland (the biggest giveaway is again the address - Wollerau seems pretty German to me)

I never saw the address on the plans, but if this is true, then it 100% is Intamin as they're based out of Wollerau.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:20 pm

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us a press release about their new offer towards stranded guests visiting Orlando.

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is offering free one-day admission to any United Kingdom, Irish or Continental European tourists stranded in Florida due to the interruption in international air travel caused by Icelandic volcanic ash.

The offer is valid starting Saturday, April 17, 2010 at SeaWorld Orlando, Aquatica in Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

Stranded tourists must present to the parks' front gate Guest Services window a valid return airline ticket from Wednesday, April 14, 2010 through Wednesday, April 21, 2010 or until normal flight schedules resume.

One ticket will be offered at each park for each return flight ticket presented. Children under age 3 are free.

Further information is available by calling 1-888-800-5447.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!