TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Guest sues Universal Studios Florida for a scare

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212296325.shtml

A Florida woman is suing Universal Studios because their haunted house was "too scary" and caused her emotional distress.

Cleanthi Peters, 57, brought her 10-year-old granddaughter to Universal's annual Halloween Horror Nights back in 1998. According to Peters, she and her granddaughter were approaching the exit of the theme park's haunted house when an employee with a chainsaw -- minus the chain -- leaped out and pretended to attack them.

Peters and granddaughter fled toward the exit with the frightening Leatherface clone giving chase. The terrified duo then, allegedly, slipped on a wet spot on the floor and went down for the count. After they fell, the lawsuit says, the employee continued his attack, crouching over them and thrusting his chainsaw in a menacing manner. According to Peters' lawsuit, the ordeal inflicted "extreme fear, distress and mental anguish" -- the kind of mental anguish that only $15,000 in cash will alleviate.

Universal Studios has not yet responded to Peters' lawsuit.

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE IS 10 YEARS OLD. THE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN IN 2000. THIS ISN'T RECENT NEWS.

Edited by Wes

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow this happened in 1998? What is it with people just now bring up cases about things that happened 10 years ago? Disney is now going through the same thing with Tower of Terror from an incident in 1998 aswell.

Like Disney I hope Universal keeps a still back on this other wise people will see this and start walking all over them. And the judge and who ever else involved with this case, I hope will use common sense.

I like how they describe it as "Too Scary" I mean common people what do you expect when you go to a clearly marked halloween event. If you want a happy jolly experience than you should have just stayed at Magic Kingdom

If you look at the article it was published in 2000, which means this has likely already been dealt with. Otherwise if this had been pending for 12 years I'm sure a statute of limitations (and with those it's ironic that the initials are SOL, because if you miss the statute of limitations that is indeed what you are) would have tolled by now.

Now I'm not sure how this was resolved, but I'll make my guess in case anybody finds out. I'm going to say that the park either settled for something in the range of $1000 or (and more likely) simply got the case dismissed during summary judgment. It is actually very difficult to prove Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, so difficult that generally the party is unable to do so.

I did my first haunts last year and I was curious about the legal liability angle with HHN because some of the scaring was quite extreme, I saw one girl pinned on the ground with two chainsaws at her. I personally think it's all fun and games and when you walk through the gate you're fair game, and I'm sure HHN has the legal angle covered as part of their risk management.

As far as that claim goes, what a load of bollocks, if she had been injured then fair enough but being scared? Now I'm off to sue the producers of The Exorcist for giving me a lifetime of nightmares.

12 year old claim. I guess the economy hit her hard and she needs a paycheck of some kind.

I also understand that some people would get freaked out by someone chasing them with a chainsaw, real or not, but do they REALLY think that the park would let someone chase guests around with a chainsaw that could hurt or kill someone???

12 year old claim. I guess the economy hit her hard and she needs a paycheck of some kind.

I also understand that some people would get freaked out by someone chasing them with a chainsaw, real or not, but do they REALLY think that the park would let someone chase guests around with a chainsaw that could hurt or kill someone???

Hence why there is no Chain on the saws...

I did my first haunts last year and I was curious about the legal liability angle with HHN because some of the scaring was quite extreme, I saw one girl pinned on the ground with two chainsaws at her.

Not sure if I would recommend for the park to take it that far, once the person is on the ground I'd suggest letting them up at that point. But I can promise you that Universal has an entire team of lawyers telling them what they can, and cannot, do.

Again as far as this being a 12 year old claim, I think this was just an old story, since it was posted on the web in 2000. This makes even more sense considering that there is only a 4 year Statute of Limitations for most intentional torts (emotional distress is considered an intentional tort) so if they were trying to bring this now the Statute of Limitations has long since tolled.

I remember, I think his name was Jeff, at Knott's, during the WCB management presentation, relating a similar story of some guests complaining that portions of their Haunt were too scary. To which he replied, "That's like going to a steak house and saying, Ooh... My steak is too delicious".

I just read this article in the New York Times that is frightenly similiar to the above article.

A New York man is suing The Museum of Natural History because their sand exibit was "too boring" and caused him emotional distress.

Chris Con, 29, brought his 28-year old wife to MONH's annual Sand has Cleavage Day back in 1998. According to Con, he and his wife were approaching the exit of the the museum's sand expose when an employee with a bag-- minus the sand -- leaped out and pretended to help them secure a levee.

Con and wife fled toward the exit with the informative curator giving chase. The lethargic duo then, allegedly, fell asleep on a soft spot on the floor and went down for the count. After they woke up, the lawsuit says, the employee continued his informative speil , crouching over them and thrusting his sand bag in an educational manner. According to Cons' lawsuit, the ordeal inflicted "extreme fear, distress and mental anguish" -- the kind of mental anguish that only $15,000 in cash will alleviate.

The Museum of Natural History has not yet responded to Peters' lawsuit.

..... wasting your time since 1998.....

People like this disgust me. I think they needed a little extra cash.
The article says: Published: Nov 17, 2000

But regardless, they still waited 2 years!

Filing a civil lawsuit 2 years after an accident is not unusual.

Edited by larrygator

I so see this is my head.

Universal employee gets this memo, starts laughing hysterically. Others come over to see what's so funny, more laughter ensues. This becomes a forwarded email around the entire management and general employees. Upper management see it's, more laughter and some high fives are past around. Sounding something like this "Hell Yes! We did it right.. obviously she didn't read the disclaimer but damn that makes me feel good!".

HHN Management is a twisted little group who probably had grins and drinks after this memo arrived. I've worked haunted events and houses long enough to know when people want to sue you for doing your job, your doing something right!

Sadly I wish HHN would get back to this, it seems like since about 2005 it's gone downhill. The houses are beautiful and well done but the scares.. what scares? I'm a jaded old bat but normally I'll get at least a startle scare in haunted houses, the last two years I've gotten nothing out of HHN. Which just starts the year long debate with my husband of "How to rip it apart and really scare the hell out of people"!

Oh my god guys!!!! look at this press release from Magic Mountain!

THREE COASTERS TO DEBUT IN 2001

TRANSFORMING SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN

From Theme Park … To "Xtreme Park"!

Now More Roller Coasters Than Anywhere On The Planet!

Six Flags, Inc. today unveiled plans to debut …not one …not two … but THREE … roller coasters next year at Six Flags Magic Mountain just outside of Los Angeles. The extraordinary capital expansion not only represents the largest capital investment in the Park's 30-year history, but is unprecedented in Southern California's theme park Mecca.

"We dropped a bombshell that's sure to echo throughout the industry," stated Del Holland, vice president and general manager of Six Flags California. "We've always held our ground as one of the world's best thrill parks. But with So. California's rapidly changing theme park climate, it's the perfect opportunity to elevate our status and become number one … a chance to redefine the Park and stake our claim as the world's one and only Extreme Park."

Known world-wide as a thrill ride haven, the additional three roller coasters puts Six Flags Magic Mountain in a league of it's own …transforming the noted thrill Park from "theme park"… to "The Xtreme Park!" With an unmatched world-class coaster collection now totaling 15, The new Xtreme Park will set a Guinness Book World record for more coasters than anywhere else on the Planet.

"Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in quality thrill ride innovation, and bar none, Six Flags Magic Mountain leads the pack always adding the biggest and the best," noted Gary Story, president of Six Flags, Inc. "There's no better way to commemorate Six Flags' 40th anniversary then to put the 'icing on the cake' in Los Angeles … the Park that truly exemplifies the powerful Six Flags brand."

"This type of announcement is simply unprecedented," said Paul Ruben, North American editor of Park World Magazine and noted roller coaster historian. "One of our industries most prestigious and highly touted honors is to reign as 'the Park' with the most coasters."

"It's like a strategic chess match played 'pawn for pawn' where it takes years, if ever, to dethrone the reigning power. And Six Flags will not only capture the coveted crown, but will do it with style … three coasters in one year … and two are record setters themselves!" added Ruben.

First out of the shoot debuting early spring 2001 is Déjà Vu, the next generation super boomerang roller coaster. Think you've experienced it before, think again …it's the tallest and fastest suspended coaster of it's kind.

Strapped in ski lift-style chairs suspended from the track above, riders will plummet 196 feet and fly at 65 mph over the outside of a vertical loop and a giant 110 foot-tall boomerang turn with nothing but the sky above their dangling feet. One time forwards, one time backwards … it's Déjà Vu.

Debuting late spring is X - another Six Flags cutting edge one-of-a-kind roller coaster designed to break all the rules. Unlike traditional coasters where trains only parallel the track, X is pushed to the extreme - for the first time riders will race in prototype vehicles that can now spin independently 360-degrees forwards or backwards on a separate axis - creating an unprecedented "don't know what to expect next" sensation. Perched on the edge of a massive 20-foot wide wing shaped vehicle, riders will plummet 200 feet to the ground, head first face down, and race at 76 mph spinning head-over-heels while performing acrobatics throughout the massive 3,600-foot twisting steel maze.

Not to be overshadowed by the big guns is Goliath Jr. - "The New Giant Among Kids Coasters". Also debuting late spring, this miniature version of one of the hottest rides in America today is a must for the young thrill seeker in training.

Since the park's inception in 1971, Six Flags Magic Mountain has provided more than 300 million roller coaster rides. The park ushered in the next generation of thrill rides in 1997 when it introduced Superman The Escape - the first and only ride to break the 100-mph speed barrier. Other record-breaking coasters include Viper - the tallest looping coaster in the world; Colossus - the tallest wooden coaster on the West Coast; and The Riddler's Revenge - the tallest and fastest standup coaster on the planet.

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company with a total of 37 parks in the United States, Europe and Latin America. Six Flags parks serve 19 of the 25 largest metropolitan areas in the United States. The parks annually host approximately 50 million guests worldwide. A publicly held corporation with corporate offices in New York City and Oklahoma City, the company's stock trades on the NYSE under the symbol: PKS.

BATMAN, and all related characters, names, rides and attractions names, and indicia are trademarks of DC Comics © 2000

Sounds awesome!

• 3 years later...
Debuting late spring is X - another Six Flags cutting edge one-of-a-kind roller coaster designed to break all the rules. Unlike traditional coasters where trains only parallel the track, X is pushed to the extreme - for the first time riders will race in prototype vehicles that can now spin independently 360-degrees forwards or backwards on a separate axis - creating an unprecedented "don't know what to expect next" sensation. Perched on the edge of a massive 20-foot wide wing shaped vehicle, riders will plummet 200 feet to the ground, head first face down, and race at 76 mph spinning head-over-heels while performing acrobatics throughout the massive 3,600-foot twisting steel maze.
Sounds prone to mechanical delays...I bet it doesn't open on time.