Photo TR: Carowinds & Intimidator232

4-7-10
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
All I want is a chainlift!

Photo TR: Carowinds & Intimidator232

Postby pkdcoaster » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 pm

This was my first trip back to Carowinds in 8 years. I was eager to try out their new coaster and get some missed credits that have accumulated at the park over the years. I was very impressed with the look of the park, The paint job on Nighthawk and that area really look great and the shortcut through Nighthawk was a welcome addition (most places close off shortcuts to get you to walk by more games/shops etc.)
Planet Snoopy was very well done and looked outstanding.
My first ride on Intimidator was in the morning and in the middle so needless to say the ride Sucked (not unusual, Apollo always sucks in the morning too) But towards the later half of the day both the front and back were delivering great rides. (although the trims were very inconsistent). These new B&M Hypers feel very different to me but I would give the edge to Diamondback as the better ride for the simple fact that the layout is better IMO.

As for comparing I232 to I305 you just can't.
If you like a smooth relaxing up & down ride then the B&M hypers are for you But IMO they never feel out of control or thrilling, just FUN.
On the other hand Intamin's FEEL out of control and totally unpredictable with balls to the walls speed and excitement.
I do prefer I305 but that is the type of ride I like, I232 is an awesome and much needed addition to round out Carowinds growing collection of coasters.

I am gonna rant a little about this whole assigned seating/single rider crap!(on Diamondback & Intimidator's) IT DOES NOT WORK! I am in NO way saying the crew is doing a bad job (They were really getting the trains out fast)but there were many instances of empty rows & empty seats (I counted 12 on one train) I NEVER see single riders in the single rider line, it is always GROUPS! The GP is so dumb on this one. they see a shorter line and think they are gonna get on faster but the regular line moves about 30 people per train (average) while the singles line moves 2 per train. most of the day yesterday the regular line had only 100-150 more people in it than the singles line. Once I rode twice before this group of girls rode once in the singles line. Not to mention the fact that People WANT to choose where to sit! I seriously do not think that whoever at CF thought of this crap has ever actually sat on the platform and watched how chaotic it is with people arguing where they want to sit or not sit and switching rows anyway. Not to mention they are paying an extra position at the ride. I wish they handed out surveys to all guests to see if they like being told where to sit. I saw more people complaining about the empty seats though.
This is not a Complaint of Carowinds but The CF policy in General that seems to be popping up on every one of their big new rides.

I really enjoyed my day though and all the staff at the park was very friendly and energetic. The Afterburn & Intimidator crews were very efficient all day long. (Good to meet Andrew on I232, tell your crew mates to keep up the great & courteous work, it was very appreciated)

Here is a link to all of the photos I took (full size HQ) http://jeaa.smugmug.com/Vacation/Carowinds
Here are some of my best pics from the day.

JEFF
TPR1100.jpg
The Reason for a 618 mile round trip in a day
TPR1200.jpg
They really need a big new flat ride (a Maxair would go great here)
TPR600.jpg
here we go, A good first drop is important
TPR1400.jpg
The pullout was very drawn out on this one for some reason
TPR400.jpg
Sadly the 2nd hill looks cooler than it is IMO
TPR1500.jpg
TPR500.jpg
TPR2000.jpg
TPR800.jpg
TPR2.jpg
A nice turnaround
TPR700.jpg
the strongest positive G's are after the turnaround entering the 4th hill
TPR100.jpg
very nice floater airtime
TPR1.jpg
TPR300.jpg
good pop of air in the front entering the MCBR
TPR900.jpg
TPR2200.jpg
patriotic pic
TPR1000.jpg
meh
TPR200.jpg
Good news Carowinds fans! It is not a used Vekoma!
TPR2100.jpg
quite the eye catcher from I-77
TPR1600.jpg
This whole area was really well done this year
TPR4.jpg
Still an Awesome inverted
TPR1700.jpg
Even without the Top Gun Theme
TPR3.jpg
Love the vibrant paint job
TPR1900.jpg
At least it was a little different from the other 2 I have ridden
TPR1800.jpg
it will not be another 8 years before I return.
Last edited by pkdcoaster on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:27 pm.
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Re: Photo TR: Carowinds & Intimidator232

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Nice pics of Intimidator! I can't wait to hit this in August. I didn't no that it had a single rider line which will be a big help since I will be by myself driving back to NJ from Orlando. I've never been to this park so I want to hit this first since it is the newest coaster.
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 pm

This may be a stupid question, but what is with this trend of the super slanted brake run? Anybody know the reason?

Nice TR :)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:58 am

Speeddeamon128 wrote:Nice pics of Intimidator! I can't wait to hit this in August. I didn't no that it had a single rider line which will be a big help since I will be by myself driving back to NJ from Orlando. I've never been to this park so I want to hit this first since it is the newest coaster.

Just make sure you ride Nighthawk early.

Nice job on the trip report, pkdcoaster. I really liked the closeups and angles you got of Intimidator.

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:33 am

WFChris wrote:This may be a stupid question, but what is with this trend of the super slanted brake run? Anybody know the reason?

These brake runs have magnetic brakes to slow the train down to a crawl. Much less wear & tear on the friction brakes.

The "super slanted" angle is needed to advance the train more quickly. hope that makes sense.

Good example I know of is TTD with an empty train, since that brake run is not very steep the train takes forever to clear the block. Since the angle is not very steep the train inches forward.

JEFF
Last edited by pkdcoaster on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:47 am.
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:34 am

I know what you mean, although Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah is even longer to clear the block because of the magnetic brakes. If I remember right, everytime we rode it during the TPR Texas trip, the train would have to stop on the lift until the other train made it into the station.

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

-Gary T.
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

East Coast Wes don't smell, honest.

Postby bgwfreak777 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:24 am

I saw one of the ops and she said that they expect to start doing single rider passes soon.

This should prevent groups from getting in the single rider line.

The past 2 times I've been there, the single rider was a longer wait than the regular line. :(

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby tiger01 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:11 am

Great Photos! It really shows of how beautiful the ride is. :omg:
I quit my job at the helium factory last week...I refused to be spoken to in that tone!

My newest rct3 park...Marine World [Rct3]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Blaq_Mamba » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:10 am

These are really nice pics. I especially like the one of the Intimidator's turnaround that looks kind of like a vertical loop.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Squid » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Great Trip report, and great photos. Hopefully I can make it up there this year to ride Intimidator.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive