Gary's 2010 Adventures - EAST COAST BASH! Page 12!!!!

East Coast Bash, one of the best events around!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Gary's 2010 Adventures - Six Flags Great Adventure Satur

Postby YoshiFan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Good luck with Great Adventure, I went today and it was jammed. Long lines for everything (even the Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train a junior coaster looked to be 30 minutes!). Full queues for El Toro, Nitro and Bizarro. I am afraid Saturday might be even worse. I left after riding Nitro (used an exit pass from Funatics and it still took almost 20 minutes!) and The Dark Knight.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Gary's 2010 Adventures - Six Flags Great Adventure Satur

Postby carolinacaniac » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Hey everyone,

So I have just made it to my brother's place here in D.C., and we have come to a decision to change up plans for tomorrow as SFA doesn't have their pass center open until later in the morning, so we are going to visit Hersheypark tomorrow, and then on Sunday, I am going to make a short visit to SFA to process my pass and catch a few rides, before heading back to Doswell to visit Kings Dominion again.......yes again.

As I was on my way to DC, I came to being within a short distance of KD, and thought it may be cool to see Intimidator 305 upclose and in person, so I made a quick stop, took a couple pictures, took a spin on Anaconda, as I-305 was down at the time, and got back in the car to get to D.C.

This update is to help tell the tale of my journey here to D.C. from work.

Tomorrow at Hershey, and the weather is supposed to be great! If you spot me, don't be afraid to say hey!

-Gary T.
003.JPG
Here we have Mr. Taylor's corner of the room and desk.....yes, my students are well aware of my enjoyment of theme parks!
001.JPG
This would be the best sight of the day, as they have all gone home for Spring Break, which means........
002.JPG
.....it's time for Mr. Taylor to begin his spring break weekend trip!
004.JPG
While I do teach in a mobil unit, it is really convienient at the end of the day, because.......
005.JPG
.......I park my car right outside, which means........
006.JPG
I can get right in and head up to DC!
008.JPG
Well, the drive was off to a slow start, as there was an unusual amount of traffic on I-95 in NC
009.JPG
Traffic usually bums me out, but at least we kept moving
011.JPG
Richmond Skyline Ahead
012.JPG
So here it is around 7:27......
013.JPG
....and Kings Dominion is just up ahead, and closes at 8........
014.JPG
....could be worth a stop!
015.JPG
Dominator at night!
016.JPG
Is this picture Bag-O-Crap worthy? :)
019.JPG
Since I don't recall there being a road sign welcoming to the District of Columbia, so I figured a blurry picture of the Washington monument would due for this time! Thanks for checking it out, its off to Hersheypark tomorrow!
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

East Coast Wes don't smell, honest.

Re: Gary's 2010 Adventures - Hersheypark Tomorrow!

Postby bgwfreak777 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 am

I had no idea you were a teacher, that makes 2 coaster lovers I know that are teachers.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby HPCrazy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Good luck with Hershey. Crowds were super terrible yesterday and will probably be even double or tripple today. Be curious to see any T/R's on how bad it will probably be.

Postby carolinacaniac » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 am

Hey everyone,

Yesterday, Kellen and I went to Hersheypark for the first time, and I must say that I truly enjoyed our visit there. It was a day of some great coasters, and comical moments! The weather was beautiful, and while the crowds were a bit large, the only long wait we had was for Fahrenheit at about an hour. Most everything else we were on within 25 minutes or less. Here is a breakdown of my thoughts on the coasters:

- Great Bear: An good B&M invert. It was not quite as intense as some of its other counterparts around the country, but it was still a lot of fun! I would have loved to get another ride on it, but with only one-train going, we decided that our last row ride was good for the day. Certainly one of my favorites at the park

- Trailblazer: A ok mine ride, a little shorter compared to others, and a bit jerky, but still gave some good views of other rides, such as Storm Runner

-Storm Runner: We rode it in the thrid row, and I was surprised by the ride! I knew it would be a great ride, but I was suprised at the airtime that it had. I figured it wouldn't have much air to it at all, but it had some spots of it here and there. The best part for me was the top hat. It did break down at one point, but the maintenance staff got it back up and going fairly quickly, so kudos to them!

-Sidewinder: Boomerang......enough said

-Wildcat: I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I rode Wildcat, as every GCI I had been on other than Gwazi Lion was a blast, but this one just didn't live up to the others for me. I think it shook a bit more than I would have expected for Millennium Flyer trains.

-Sooperdooperlooper: Having been on Shock Wave and Mind Bender, I have been spoiled by so awesome Schwarzkopf coasters....Sooperdooperlooper was an okay one. The loop was nice and intense, but the rest was kind of meh. Not much air to speak of on this one.

-Wild Mouse: Little to no brakes made this a fun ride. Some parts were a little hard on the sides, but still fun

-Lightning Racer: Either one of the racers is awesome! I think the racing aspect adds something to it. That and the ride itself is just a lot of fun! It was certainly on the higher end of the GCI list in my opinion! Kellen and I both had trouble with winning though, as we ended the day with a 1-5 record

-Fahrenheit: Would be the longest line of the day at an hour, but it was well worth it! The way the little pops of air came, I imagine this is what Maverick is supposed to be like when you are not thinking about your neck getting destroyed by the restraint. I really like Fahrenheit a lot! The transitions were nice and smooth, and the first drop was cool!

-Comet: We had an okay ride in the front that didn't do a whole lot, but a nighttime ride in the back made up for it! Always enjoy a classic.

One other thing that we did was check out Chocolate World in the middle of the day. The factory tour ride was pretty cool, and we were actually picked out to take a taste test of some new Jolly Rancher chewable candy. While that itself may not sound all that funny, it dawned on Kellen and I shortly after we started the test that we had been lured into a secluded room with the promise of candy.....It didn't help when the dialogue was something along the lines of "You two like candy?", "Yeah!", "How about you two come in this room here and we will have you test out some new products for us." We did get a free Hershey bar for our time, which was cool.

Overall, it turned out to be a great day, and I really enjoyed my time at Hershey. I can't wait until I have a chance to check it out again! This update will actually take to posts as I had taken over a hundred pictures to post on here, so I hope you all enjoy!

-Gary T.
001.JPG
A city called Cockeysville.....that cracks me up a little
002.JPG
A redbox at McDonalds.....now if only I see a man eat his own head will I be able to say that I have seen everything
003.JPG
Who is this guy? Seems like an okay stranger, lets take him along!
004.JPG
PA welcome sign for the collection
005.JPG
Harrisburg's skyline in the distance
008.JPG
We made it to Hersheypark!
009.JPG
And from the parking lot, we see that Storm Runner is getting ready for the day!
010.JPG
Wildcat from the lot
011.JPG
Just in case there is any doubt about where Hersheypark is.....
012.JPG
Gary: "Are you ready for the best day ever Kellen?!!!!?!" Kellen: "Uhhhhhhh, sure"
013.JPG
Chocholate World! We would come and check it out later after lunch
014.JPG
The Hershey stacks.....or a model of them for Chocolate World I should say
016.JPG
As you can see, it was a crowded day, but that would stop us from having a good time
017.JPG
Although it looks like the state of Pennsylvania wants you to pay $0.75 in order to have fun.....
018.JPG
This has to be worth at least 10 cents! Only 65 more to go!
020.JPG
The man behind the city, factory, or in other words, mini-empire known as Hershey
027.JPG
First order of Business......Great Bear!
026.JPG
A solid invert that gives a good ride
023.JPG
Not the most intense of the inverts, but still a good ride!
022.JPG
Would have loved to get more rides, but one train operation made that a bit tricky.....oh well, there is always next time
032.JPG
084.JPG
085.JPG
It is definately one of the most unique in its design for supports
088.JPG
As shown here as well
087.JPG
It also come very close to some of the other rides, like here with Sooperdooperlooper
028.JPG
While in line for Great Bear, you can see that the coal craker is being fixed up
029.JPG
Same here
030.JPG
This sign made us crack up a little
036.JPG
Up next was Trailblazer
037.JPG
A little jerky in spots, but still a good ride for the family, and the line was non-existant when we got on.
025.JPG
Storm Runner would follow as it had a very minimal line at the time
024.JPG
Kellen and I both loved Storm Runner
033.JPG
I loved this part of the ride
034.JPG
I was surprised how much airtime it had, as I did not expect it
035.JPG
038.JPG
039.JPG
It did go down once before we got on, but the wait for maintenance was only a short bit, maybe 10 minutes, and we were on our way.
041.JPG
The launch was pretty cool too. First smaller hydrolic launch coaster I had been on
040.JPG
Giving Sidewinder some love. It was an okay ride, but once you do one boomerang, you've done them all (unless you do it for the credit).
042.JPG
The one credit that would not be had today, but it was worth missing for the sake of getting in for about half the regular proce!
045.JPG
Up next was our last coaster before lunch......Wildcat
046.JPG
It looks like a good ride, but it didn't quite live up to some of the other GCIs out there
047.JPG
I don't recall seeing such a happy wildcat before
099.JPG
048.JPG
I wonder if that have a Dutch Oven :)
049.JPG
Time for a little break to see what Chocolate World
050.JPG
051.JPG
Apparently this woman does not understand our narcissism
052.JPG
Inside Chocolate World
053.JPG
The story of the Hershey Company, while waiting to do the Factory Tour Ride
058.JPG
Love how they are trying to make the authentic look, bird poo and all!
059.JPG
Getting on the ride for the tour
060.JPG
A "bro-mantic" moment
061.JPG
Mooooooo
062.JPG
Always love a fine set of rears!
063.JPG
Singing cows on the tour
064.JPG
Going into the "factory"
065.JPG
Kellen appreciates a good bean cleaner
066.JPG
Mixing the beans
067.JPG
Singing cows again
068.JPG
"liquid chocolate"
069.JPG
Refining
070.JPG
The fine brands of the Hershey Company
076.JPG
The onride picture......this is the kind of stuff that movie posters are made of!
075.JPG
Wopper guy seems kind of shy.......Syrup Bottle dude looks like he has been smoking up! Look how red his eyes are!
077.JPG
This is the point where Kellen and I were lured into a secluded room with the promise of candy......not always the best situation to get yourself in
078.JPG
Yeay for taste-tests where you get free candy as a reward!!!!!
079.JPG
Kellen ended up with a case of peppermint nipples from the Chocolate Tour
080.JPG
They sure do have one hell of a candy inventory at this place
081.JPG
One last shot before returning to the park
082.JPG
Kellen is still trying to get over the fact that he had been lured into a secluded room with the promise of candy
083.JPG
No Gary.....that is not the biggest Hershey Bar.....it's a guy in a suit
089.JPG
First ride back.....Sooperdooperlooper!
091.JPG
In the loop......
092.JPG
And through it too
093.JPG
Looks like Syrup Bottle Guy has gone clean, looks like Milkduds Man has been a good influence
096.JPG
Lightning Racers.....definatly the best woodies in the park! Kellen and I both managed only one win out of 6 tries
098.JPG
Maybe it was because he didn't know how to use the seatbelts on the ride
095.JPG
The whip was on the short side, but still fun
097.JPG
Didn't ride it, but it would have been good for more pictures, something to save for another visit!
100.JPG
The next ride.....Fahrenheit!
101.JPG
An awesome rides with some great elements, and good air to it!
043.JPG
Was the longest wait we had at about an hour
044.JPG
But it was worth it
103.JPG
Resese's Extream Cup Challenge.
104.JPG
A neat ride, but the guns were kind of shot, and it was hard to tell how the score was kept.
021.JPG
And the last credit for the day.....Comet
090.JPG
The front row was an okay ride. The back row at night was a great way to end the night!
108.JPG
108.JPG
Lifthill shot!!
109.JPG
Time to begin the end of the update with some nighttime shots!
111.JPG
114.JPG
118.JPG
One of my favorite nighttime pictures I have ever taken
115.JPG
How about some nighttime antics? Hey, at this point I think we only had about a dime left to go before we got our 75 cents worth of fun from the state amusement tax
116.JPG
And now it is covered!
117.JPG
Kellen...is...America's...Magical...FUNNYMAN!!
Last edited by carolinacaniac on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 pm.

Re: Gary's 2010 Adventures - SFA today, Kings Dominion tomor

Postby carolinacaniac » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:13 am

and here is part two

I will be at Six Flags America this afternoon, and Kings Dominion tomorrow, so if you spot me at either park, feel free to say hello!

Hope you have all enjoyed the update so far, and that you enjoy the rest here!

-Gary T.
120.JPG
One last parting shot before leaving the park
122.JPG
Stopping back at Chocolate World so Kellen can stock up on some Nutrageous!
125.JPG
Kellen and I decided to hit up Red Robin for dinner, and I must say I like the view from the front door. I really liked the Lightning Racers.
127.JPG
Kellen ponders what would be a good selection to put in his stomach.
129.JPG
I opted for the Bonzai Burger....
130.JPG
Pineapple, Cheese and Teryaki Sauce.......a great combo of items for a hamburger!
126.JPG
Now that we have had our grub, it is time to make like Red here and hit the road back to DC. I hope you all enjoyed my Hersheypark update!

East Coast Wes don't smell, honest.

Re: Gary's 2010 Adventures - Hersheypark Update, Pg 4

Postby bgwfreak777 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Looking at those Great Bear supports I know Walter was thinking, you want to build my coaster WHERE?!?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby F1shy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:11 am

Hey Gary!

Nice pictures of Hersheypark! I apologize for not getting back to you about what ride I was operating yesterday... we don't receive our ride assignments until the start of our shift. But if you were wondering, I was working Stormrunner! I don't recall seeing you, though. :\

Yesterday was a great day to attend Hersheypark... lines were significantly shorter than friday and saturday. I was working Frog Hopper on friday, and even THAT had a 45 minute wait. An hour wait for Fahrenheit is a blessing, haha.

Oliver

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 am

Gary's at KD right now....he said it's 5 minutes for the Intimidator single ride line!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 am

Gary - I thought I saw you at HP on Saturday but didn't say anything, thinking it must not be you. I didn't realize you moved your Hershey visit from Sunday to Staurday.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!