Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 124: Carnevale at Maria & Enzo's Ristorante details!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Walt Disney World Downtown Disney Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/annual-passholder-d-street-sneak-peek/

On Saturday, April 3, 2010, from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Passholders will have an opportunity to be among the first guests to experience the opening of D Street, the newest merchandise location where urban inspired product “intersects” with a Disney creative edge. Passholders will also be among the first to catch a glimpse of the new Create Your Own Vinylmation table, have the opportunity to participate in Vinylmation trading activities (trade your own Vinylmation or ones you purchase) and see the Disney Channel Star Celebrity Signed Vinylmation on display at D Street!

In addition to catching a sneak peek of D Street, Passholders will also have the opportunity to purchase new and Oh Mickey, Sports, and Vinylmation Jr. Series releases (and yes, your Passholder Merchandise Discount will apply!). There will also be a purchase with purchase opportunity featuring a Vinylmation Tote Bag for $1.95 when you spend $30 or more at D Street. Plus, the first 500 Passholders at the D Street location on Saturday, April 3, 2010 will receive a complimentary Vinylmation button.

D Street located in the Downtown Disney West Side, will showcase a mix of products for both men and women. Items will include Vinylmation figures and collectibles, cutting-edge apparel, pop culture novelties and more. The store will have a raw, unfinished industrial look and provide a great venue to showcase Disney art created by local artists.

There are a few details you should know about. A valid Passholder ID AND government issued photo ID must be presented to enter D Street for the D Street Sneak Peek opportunity and must be presented at time of purchase to receive offers. Qualifying purchase based on pre-tax, post discount single transaction. Purchase with purchase offer not valid on previous purchases. Merchandise and offers valid while supplies last. Not valid with any other offer or discounts. Other restrictions may apply. Information and offers are subject to change without notice.
dstreet103_large.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 am

Score, I'll be there for the passholder preview. I'm very interested to see how the store looks.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm

A few days ago, I stopped by Downtown Disney to see the new RideMakerz store (and to pick up some stuff at Goofy's Candy Co. for Bryan). I took plenty of photos around the area, showing some more progress that has been made since my last visit.
IMGP0302.JPG
This used to be a path for guests to exit Pleasure Island at night. It is currently closed.
IMGP0303.JPG
I truly hope they never remove this sign from the Island.
IMGP0305.JPG
Although the old ticket booth by T-Rex has finally been removed, the two rail-car booths at this entrance still remain.
IMGP0306.JPG
Here's a plaque I hadn't seen before, on the side of the Sosa's Cigar Bar next to Raglan Road.
IMGP0307.JPG
Another gem of the past that I hope is preserved.
IMGP0309.JPG
Motion is still being used for private events and storage.
IMGP0310.JPG
Despite it closing first, very little has been done with the Rock & Roll Beach Club that would put it ahead of its neighboring clubs, in terms of progress.
IMGP0311.JPG
While the Adventurer's Club banner has been removed, there are subtle hints of its existence in plain view.
IMGP0312.JPG
And then there are those not so subtle hints.
IMGP0315.JPG
From the window of the BET Soundstage Club, it can be seen that very little has been done here.
IMGP0318.JPG
D-Street will be opening very soon...
IMGP0319.JPG
I posted a photo very similar to this of Virgin Megastore right before it closed, so I thought it was appropriate to post one now that RideMakerz has opened (temporarily).
IMGP0320.JPG
New banners have been added, but the marquee where the "Virgin Megastore" signage used to be remains unused.
IMGP0321.JPG
I choze not to build, sonicize, mobilize, motorize, customize or cruize with a car.
IMGP0322.JPG
It seemed like this location was just too big for RideMakerz' own good.
IMGP0324.JPG
The old CD wall has been covered with curtains to prevent guests from seeing the bare (and paint-free) walls that were left behind.
IMGP0326.JPG
They did have some nice new cars inside the front of the store.
IMGP0327.JPG
Most of the columns in the store had these left over from when you could find CDs in them during Virgin's tenure.
IMGP0328.JPG
IMGP0329.JPG
IMGP0330.JPG
Lots of parts to choose from...
IMGP0332.JPG
Like I said before, it seems there is just too much space for RideMakerz to be able to make use of...
IMGP0333.JPG
As a result, we are left with a good amount of dead space.
IMGP0334.JPG
IMGP0335.JPG
If I had purchased a vehicle, I would have bought the turtle decals to deck it out with.
IMGP0336.JPG
IMGP0337.JPG
Even the escalators have been covered with curtains to prevent guests from accessing the shuttered second floor.
IMGP0339.JPG
The old international music selection section has become a storage area for RideMakerz and is accessible only to cast members.
IMGP0340.JPG
IMGP0343.JPG
In this area, kids can test their cars in a "battle" setting to try and earn street cred.
IMGP0344.JPG
And here is the battlefield.
IMGP0345.JPG
The old second floor balconies have been curtained off as well.
IMGP0346.JPG
IMGP0347.JPG
IMGP0348.JPG
Even the old checkout counters have been reutilized.
IMGP0349.JPG
The store is a nice temporary addition to Downtown Disney that I'd expect to become more permanent in another location.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

MATT DAMON has nervous tits

Postby thecoasterkid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm

What were the prices like for the cars? It's a pretty nice concept that in a much smaller location could do well imo.

It's so sad to see Pleasure Island totally dead. Downtown Disney in general has really gone down hill since the early 2000's.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

NEWS: Child hit and killed by bus at Walt Disney World

Postby jray21 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Just saw this on the news. Didn't see another post anywhere.

www.wesh.com/entertainment/23026301/detail.html?hpt=T2

A 9-year-old boy was hit and killed by a bus at Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness Resort Thursday afternoon. The victim was identified as Chase Brubaker, of St. Petersburg, Fla.

Police said the crash happened as he was riding his bike with an 11-year-old girl on Big Pine Drive at about 1:35 p.m. Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Kim Montes said both of the children were on a sidewalk along the roadway. A preliminary investigation showed that the boy left the sidewalk and entered the roadway, Montes said. "The little boy ... left the sidewalk and went into the southbound lanes of Big Pine Drive, struck the side of the bus and then was subsequently pulled underneath the bus and run over by the bus," Montes said.

Brubaker was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said he was wearing a helmet. The girl was not hurt, though officials said she was very shaken up.

Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger extended the park's sympathy to the boy's family. "We wish to extend our deepest sympathy to the boy's family and loved ones for their loss," she said. "We are currently providing the necessary resources and care to help the family with the situation."

The bus driver was identified as 56-year-old David Russel Rich, of Montverde, Fla. Troopers said it doesn't appear that Rich did anything wrong. He has been a Disney employee for more than 30 years. He was making stops around the two-mile Fort Wilderness loop, picking up and dropping off guests around the campground when the crash happened.

Officials said it could take up to two months to determine if the bus driver was at fault in any way. Disney said they don't know right now if Rich will be put on paid leave or be allowed to get back behind the wheel of a bus.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 pm.

Spills and Fails, daily.

Re: Disneyworld Bus Kills Child

Postby themeparkologist » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Disney's got issues in the transportation department. Monorail, crash with the other bus that sent 8 people to the hospital, and now this.
Some people are like slinkies. They aren't really good for much but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Yeah they don't seem to be having the best of luck right now....

My thoughts goes out to the familes

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:20 pm

They have updated it a little to mention that the kid was riding his bike with his friend.

Spills and Fails, daily.

Postby themeparkologist » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Gosh, I just read the comments...some people are just very rude and are blaming the parents and kids themselves for being hit by a bus. What has the world come too. Sad. :(

My prayers go to the family.
Last edited by themeparkologist on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 pm.
Some people are like slinkies. They aren't really good for much but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 pm

themeparkologist wrote:Disney's got issues in the transportation department. Monorail, crash with the other bus that sent 8 people to the hospital, and now this.

I don't really think you can fault Disney that much for something like this. They have a more elaborate transportation system than some small cities. Geeze, they are practically running a city every day their with the kind of operation they have. I think they are doing a pretty decent job with what they have at this point. There are more accidents on the streets of the small suburb that I live in than what is reported at DisneyWorld. There will always be something that goes wrong, it just makes big news when it is Disney, even when it really isn't big news at all.

With that said, it is very sad to hear that the child was killed. It is said when you are expecting to have a good time away from the real world, and something like this happens.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!