TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^I think the reason they toned down the splash size is because of how bad the deceleration would have been hitting deeper water at that speed. You come down that drop pretty fast, so it wouldn't feel too good to be slammed into the lap bar. Either way, you still get plenty wet on PP. Water gets splashed up onto you during the drop, and then the final splashdown after the run out gets you soaked. So it's not the size of the splash that matters, just how they use it.

More Construction photos today... looks like they are taking great advantage of the coaster-riding weather we have had the past few days!

STR180.jpg.5d173243f5721b017511cecc74834522.jpg

All those poor trees, GONE! On-ride photo to the left

STR183.jpg.622073a568a0213c4123f4375716b5c9.jpg

Final Turn of the Flume

STR184.jpg.e32b77ad0f60a1e5a0cb99532fecf6c5.jpg

View down the station

STR185.jpg.f5a9d3475a28b4f47d2c31d06efda6f0.jpg

Flume to Lift 1

STR189.jpg.d4f344bd924a7ffacb6faeb9d0224402.jpg

Station work is underway

STR196.jpg.617b045be453ec5f82cda4c1d8e94df4.jpg

Concrete, Concrete and MORE Concrete... here is where the "Rock Work" will be located

STR202.jpg.26a702e48ba21dba3e4ef46b8ed61894.jpg

First drops splash down pool is getting its track and guides installed

^The only two of those rides, that are evenly remotely the same as STR are Dudley Do Right, and Splash Mountain and they opened a long time before.

^^Pilgrim's Plunge is in a completely different league from this.

I am talking about a standard run of the mill open air flume ride.

^The only two of those rides, that are evenly remotely the same as STR are Dudley Do Right, and Splash Mountain and they opened a long time before.

My thinking is that every park in the world for the most part has a standard flume ride. Cedar Point HAD two: The Mill Race and White Water Landing, but both were removed to make way for Raptor and Maverick. So if you wanted to ride a water ride, your choices were Thunder Canyon (and get soaked) or Snake River Falls (also get soaked).

I am really glad CP decided to buck the trend and just build a good old fashioned flume ride. Can't wait to ride it!

I really hope they plant some new trees. I could see them not wanting to though so they don't have to worry about a bunch of leaves getting in the water. It would look so much better back there, though.

Well from what I have heard, it is cheaper to tear out the trees and plant new ones after you are done building. Look at Maverick, they planted trees around the ride which are already starting to grow in nicely. It will look bare for a few years, but once the planted trees have time to grow it will look significantly better.

You do realize that they're the EXACT same ride style, right? They both have flume portions too! Just because one has an elevator, and the other two lift hills doesn't mean they're in totally different leagues...

Pilgrims Plunge:

Shoot The Rapids:

Notice the similarities? These two things honestly aren't THAT far apart.

Pilgrim's is a Shoot the Chutes, which have bigger 20+-man boats which create a huge splash in a much wider track, and only have one drop. Only one boat goes around the track at a time. Similar rides are Perilous Plunge at Knott's and Tidal Wave at Thorpe.

Log Flumes, on the other hand, have much smaller 4/5-man boats, a much thinner, longer track, 2-3 drops and can have many boats going around at the same time. You also tend to stay a lot dryer on flumes than you do chutes.

Shoot the Rapids is quite clearly a Flume, and not a Chute.

Tedious subject over?

Pilgrim's Plunge is not a chute-the-chutes ride dude. The boats are EXACTLY the same as Shoot The Rapids' are, 2-across five rows seating 10 passengers. The only difference between Pilgrim's Plunge and Intamin's other new and improved log flumes is the elevator lift and 135-foot drop. It is a SUPER FLUME. Yes, the ride is mostly about the drop. Holiday World touted the largest drop from the very beginning. The ability to tone down the splash to make it an acceptable amount of wetness instead of the tidal wave of chute-the-chutes rides is the difference.