Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Just Kidding!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Discussion Thread

Postby coastercrzyjames » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm so excited to see MF trains on the transfer tracks of Gwazi!! In my opinion Gwazi isn't a terrible ride, I've ridden it a few times on 2 separate occasions: 2003 and 2007, but its nice to see it getting some love it deserves. My 2007 ride was somewhat rougher than I had remembered, but it wasn't terrible, then again I was riding in the front. I've been waiting to see this ride get new trains for a while, and glad to see that they're actually taking the initiative to do it. Even if it's just a test run and not official yet like some have said, it's still one step closer to actually installing them. It'll be great to see how this turns out, can't wait!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 pm

^A lot of people are of the opinion that the ride has deteriorated very quickly from 2007 to present.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby ArizonaGuy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:38 pm

^^
I agree. I rode Gwazi back in 2006 and just recently a few weeks ago 2010 and it was significantly rougher than I remembered. I did not enjoy it at all this year like I did back in 2006.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

A.J. wrote:Does anyone else notice the extended backrests/headrests?

No other MF train has them...what makes Gwazi so different?

That appears to just be the test dummies in those seats. Notice the seats covered by the tarp in the pictures posted are much shorter.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Philrad71 wrote:
Did anyone see the Cheetah Picture?

Should be interesting to see if anything transpires there...

I was surprised no one pointed out in that link where it mentioned Kumba looks like it is going to be down for most of the month of May. If they give this coaster a little love and a new paint job, this could be bigger than the news of Gwazi adding the Millenium trains!

Kumba actually got a brand new paint job about three years ago. I think it just needs to be cleaned since the track is stained from coaster oil/grease.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 am

Overall, I think Busch does a pretty good job with Kumba. Yes, the stains and rust aren't flattering, but the coaster still provides a great ride after all these years. Except for the one rough part before the first corkscrew, the ride is actually quite smooth.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am

^ and night rides on Kumba are just bliss. Rode several times during Howl-o-scream last October and by far the Kumba rides were the highlight of the trip.

If Gwazi is only testing the MF trains, let's hope that the testing goes well and they order some. I like the coaster well enough, but any lovin' is good in my book and MF trains are awesome.

D.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm

If they do end up purchasing Millennium Flyer trains, doesn't that mean they will also have to reinforce the structure in areas to compensate for the trains being heavier? Did they do that with Wildcat?

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Erik Johnson wrote:Kumba actually got a brand new paint job about three years ago. I think it just needs to be cleaned since the track is stained from coaster oil/grease.

#1 suckiest thing about my 2007 trip to Orlando, with a side trip to BGT. No Kumba.

In other news, it's great to finally see Gwazi getting MFs! But does this make my (pfft, I don't want it to be mine at all) Roar at SFA the only GCI left running PTCs? C'mon, Six Flags!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Just Kidding!

Postby coastercrzyjames » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Yeah Kumba is still an awesome coaster. I had a couple of night rides when I went the summer of 2007, front seat, and it was great! Kumba is definitely in my top 20, its an older B&M but in my opinion a lot more intense than some of their newer creations.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!