Bay Beach Amusement Park Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Green Bay's Bay Beach to Expand

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:02 pm

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/gb-city-council-approves-coaster

The city of Green Bay is officially getting a roller coaster. Plans were approved at city council Tuesday night. Many are happy about the "Zippin Pippin" but some think the timing may not be right. In about 15 months, you should be able to ride the Zippin Pippin at Green Bay's Beach Bay Amusement Park.

"The fact that this really isn't taking away from other services puts my mind at ease," Ned Dorff of Green Bay told the council. "This will draw in visitors from out of town and it'll be a big boost for our local economy and our local image."

But some question the timing of bringing a roller coaster to Green Bay. "This proposal is not fiscally responsible at this time. It's not 1995. With the uncertain economy, how does local government feel that installing a roller coaster is in the best interest of this community? What will the Zippin Pippin do for the city?" said Green Bay resident Greg Meller. "I think the timing of this is just terrible. It's not the time to be borrowing money to take risk on a roller coaster," said Alderman Guy Zima.

After talking about financing, liability and maintenance, the council approved the plans, 7 - 4.

"This is a great opportunity not only for Bay Beach but really for the greater Green Bay community," said Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt. "This is a ride that is no cost to the taxpayers. It's something that is going to strengthen Bay Beach. It's a family-friendly ride and I think something we're going to enjoy for many years to come here."

The city says the Zippin Pippin will be built from 100% new materials. The city is paying about $10,000 for the name, design and history of the roller coaster. It will be paying another $2.5 - 3 million for actual construction. About $600,000 of that will likely come from private donations. The remainder will be paid for through bonds, which should be paid off in 10 years. Schmitt says once it is paid for, the Zippin Pippin will become a revenue source for the city.

The mayor hopes to have the Zippin Pippin up and running when bay beach opens for is 2011 summer season.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Green Bay's Bay Beach to get the Zippin Pippin

Postby coasterking2981 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 pm

^Its good that another bit of history gets saved :)

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby darienlakerules » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:21 am

They're not really saving it, just building a new one.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 am

When they say their buying the coasters history, what do they mean by that?

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Coasterfrk49 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:03 am

darienlakerules wrote:They're not really saving it, just building a new one.

Yeah, seriously. It sounds like it will pretty much just be a clone of the original. Although you know that the park is going to try and advertise it so it sounds like guests will be riding the original Zippin Pippin that was Elvis' favorite. It's a shame that this park didn't get involved in saving the coaster earlier so that the original parts and construction could have been preserved.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:12 am

Coasterfrk49 wrote:
darienlakerules wrote:They're not really saving it, just building a new one.

Yeah, seriously. It sounds like it will pretty much just be a clone of the original. Although you know that the park is going to try and advertise it so it sounds like guests will be riding the original Zippin Pippin that was Elvis' favorite. It's a shame that this park didn't get involved in saving the coaster earlier so that the original parts and construction could have been preserved.

Even if it is not the oringinal atleast they are saving the idea of the Zippin Pippin! I wonder if Gravity Group is still going to be doing this coaster?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 am

When your talking a wood coaster, does any part of it last more than say, 30 years? (aside from the trains)

How much of the original Leap the Dips is still around? Just the design, right?

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:32 am

Whenever a coaster that once was defunct now gets a second life, riders and amusement park flyers all over the globe start jumping for joy!!!

:b :br :b :br :b :br :b :br

before getting blown away.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I bet there weren't a whole lot of people that heard of Bay Beach, but with the Zippin Pippin coming there, that park should expect some extra attendance next season.

:) "By that last statement you made, do you mean you might go up there and visit that park next season?'

:?r "Well . . . I might, but then . . . I was think of going to either Texas or Florida, but I haven't been to Green Bay before either. Rats, I don't know how to answer a question like that."

:angry: "Well, it's simple: you just smile sweetly and say 'NO COMMENT!!!' Nothing too it.
:) "Okay. No comment. How's that?"

:angry: "That was good, but you were too (your favourite swear word here) late!"

I've better end this before the smilies start fighting again.

:pillow: "You've typed enough, so rest your head on me."

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 am

I bet there weren't a whole lot of people outside of Wi that heard of Bay Beach, but with the Zippin Pippin coming there, that park should expect some extra attendance next season.

Fixed. Bay Beach has been around for a very long time, and plays an important part of the Green Bay economy. It stills plays an important role for people everywhere in Wi. For families that want to go to an amusement park, but don't have the money for Great America or the Dells, Bay Beach is where they go. I live about two hours from the park yet most of my friends know about it and many have visited. But when you go back a generation or two, more and more people know about the park. It's part of Wisconsin history and is known and loved by many.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby sixflagsguy5 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:54 am

It supposed to be a really nice park. The problem is it was never really on the map for many people (not just enthusiasts), because they hadn't had a coaster for so long. I think this is a much better move than they think it's going to be.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!