Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 127: Havana Nights at The Edison details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm from SoCal, feel bad for me!

Postby What Now » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:40 pm

^ It's NOT the only Pollo Campero in the US. I've seen a few in LA.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby UberBeavis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Screw that- They should put Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Downtown Disney!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm

What Now wrote:^ It's NOT the only Pollo Campero in the US. I've seen a few in LA.

I said first, not only. First east of the Mississippi in any event.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Steelinwood » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:19 pm

I guess a change is needed. But what is chicken and waffles? Are they actually waffles with syrup and chicken? Any how, I think it should be a new taste that could broaden our horizons. Also, did MD's used to be a part of six flags?

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Chicken & waffles is, well, chicken and waffles! It is (at least the time I had it) shredded chicken and gravy on top of a waffle. It was pretty tasty.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:52 pm

^ Or Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles in LA. Awesome fried chicken breast on top of a waffle. Pour syrup on both!
l.jpeg
Artery clogging goodness!

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Downtown Disney's Pleasure Island closes September 2008

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Over the last few weeks, a blog focused on the Orlando clubbing scene has collected photos of the latest happenings over at the former Pleasure Island and its surrounding area.

http://www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/
100_6651.JPG
The inside of Mannequins sits mostly untouched.
100_6652.JPG
A little eerie...
0210 PI 003.jpg
Planet Hollywood: On Location has closed...
0210 PI 030.jpg
Replacing it will be a store dedicated to the rising fad that is Disney's VinylMation.
0210 PI 004.jpg
Celebrate Tonight is still pulling in people...
0210 PI 006.jpg
At least they seem to be enjoying it.
0210 PI 011.jpg
The exterior of Mannequins Dance Palace has remained unchanged.
0210 PI 012.jpg
Not much has changed here either.
0210 PI 013.jpg
8TRAX looks the same too.
0210 PI 017.jpg
The entrance sign/banner for the Adventurer's Club has finally been removed.
0210 PI 023.jpg
The entrance signage for the Comedy Warehouse has been removed and its entrance has been covered with a hedge fence on wheels.
0210 PI 045.jpg
The stage on the lower level of Pleasure Island (on the parking lot side of Mannequins) has been repainted and has received some new woodwork, indicating that it won't be removed during Pleasure Island's slow transformation.
0110 PI 005.jpg
The old staircase on the backside of Mannequins has been removed and its entrance has been covered up.
1209 PI 018.jpg
The old P.I. Live DJ tower has been completely demolished to make way for a new seating area for Fuego by Sosa Cigars.
1209 PI 021.jpg
The cigar bar's windows are no longer blocked by the former tower.
PI_2010-01-04_A.jpg
The Rock & Roll Beach Club's sign has been removed though the facade's painting has been touched up to remove any lines that were left over when the sign was removed.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 am

Some great updates and coverage to the PI goings on the last couple years. :)

Was over there last night and it looks pretty much the same. There are more construction walls moving around Lego Imagination Center. What was a big triangular block off, is now concentrated along the waterfront edge from T-REX to the Lego Nessie. A view from the other said of the water looked like a redo of the displays and planters. Since this was at night, all that is subjective.

The banners in the forthcoming Vinylmation Store windows show off several new designs/series. Haunted Mansion, sports, animals, and even the Adventurers Club Colonal were on display.

Gotta tell you, it really is sad to walk through the hulk of what used to be a jamming club scene circa 1993. No, I couldn't get into the clubs because I was a high school junior, but our family still had a great time at the recording studio and Adventurers Club. For those that have never been, they had several random comedy shows put on by various eccentric characters. I remember the Boulderdash Competition where people would tell outlandish stories, and the most ridiculous won. In the central hall was a new member initiation that happened regularly and was led by the small animatronic colonal up on the wall. Basically if you took the Tower of Terror theming, and added other exotic random stuff from all over the world, you get a pretty good idea of what AC was like on the inside. Really, it was just a lot of light-hearted fun. I know there are some podcasts out there that have some of the old shows. Check them out, and you'll see why several of us who've been feel the way we do. Real bummer this place is gone.

McDonald's has been slated for removal and some mexican chicken place will replace it. As of last night, the golden arches was still serving food. On the other end near Cirque, what used to be Virgin Mega Store is still empty. It's really wierd to see a Disney place look like a local mall with holes where shops and restaurants used to be.

Adam, if it's cool with you, I'd like to contribute here on this thread from time to time. I live 5 minutes away from Downtown Disney and am over there frequently. If I can help, just let me know.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:38 am

^You are more than welcome to contribute to this thread! I've gone ahead and converted this into a discussion thread for the island so that news and updates can be posted in a single location from here on out.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 am

TheRapidsNerd wrote:Gotta tell you, it really is sad to walk through the hulk of what used to be a jamming club scene circa 1993.

Although Pleasure Island in its prime wasn't really my cup of tea, I agree that the area is quite sad and somewhat unsightly now. Why close it down with no plan for a replacement? It's like Disney just woke up one day and said, "Oh, wait, we can't have nightclubs on our property. Close it all down immediately!" - "But what about the comedy clubs, sir? Those aren't offensive." - "I don't care! Close them all, too!"
Erik Allen Elness

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!