Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Real wrote:pft, F1? Dragster produces higher wind shears than that, LOL.

Thats cool. Considering winds were only 72-112, I woulda been tempted to drive through it or something.

Reminds me of a bit from a comedian I watched talking about a guy that tied himself to a palm tree to show that he was in good enough shape to handle the winds from a hurricane.

Went something like "It's not THAT the wind is blowing. It's WHAT the wind is blowing. It doesn't matter how many sit ups you did that morning if you get hit by a Volvo"

An F1 might not be powerful enough to wipe out an entire town, but going towards it wouldn't be all that bright. A few fence posts in 100mph winds are still going to be able to do quite a bit of damage.

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:48 pm

^That'd be Ron "Tater Salad" White.

Here in Southwestern Ontario, it's a real crapshoot for weather. I live in the southernmost part of Canada, and storms have a habit of dying as soon as they hit the Detroit River; conversely, you can always count on some fierce storms in the London/Waterloo area an hour or two north of here.

Dan "Frustrated severe weather enthusiast" Smith

Open Up Happiness

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/articles/2010/02/18/news/doc4b7d9131ed737860725909.txt

Darien Lake Theme Park has proposed adding a new $7 million water attraction, Genesee County Planning Director Jim Duval said.

The County Planning Board, at its Feb. 11 meeting, recommended approval of a site plan for Pirates Cove Water Park at Darien Lake.

Cassandra Okon, public relations supervisor for the theme park, said no decision has been made on whether to build Pirates Cove. “Right now it’s still in the works,” she said. Okon said the theme park may add the new water attraction “because this is what our guests have been asking for.”

Pirates Cove includes a Lazy River Attraction, a FlowRider surfboard ride and a 50-foot-high Mach 6 water slide.

Paul Ruben, North American editor of the trade publication Park World, said the FlowRider, a surfboard or boogie board ride, should be a huge draw. “That’s certainly a first for our area, frosting on the cake,” he said. FlowRiders have been popular wherever they’ve been installed. The Lazy River, a tube float trip, is a hit with families, Ruben said.

Lazy River can also handle a lot of people simultaneously, so waiting time in line is usually short, the editor said. “Lazy River will be a high-capacity attraction for visitors of all ages,” Ruben said. He said Darien Lake needs to balance its attractions between the ride park and the water park. “And they are doing that,” he said.

Aquatic Development Group of Cohoes, N.Y. is the firm that would build Pirates Cove at the theme park.

The site plan calls for construction of the new feature in a section of parking lot on the south side of the park, between the rides area and Sumner Road. Some parking spots will be lost if Pirates Cove is built, Duval said. “They feel they have more than enough parking,” Duval said.

County planners recommended approval of the ride because “it will be in harmony with the orderly development” of the theme park, according to the board’s recommendation. The site plan application goes next to the Darien Town Planning Board.

The theme park had proposed an expansion of its water attractions in 1999. Darien Lake at the time was owned by Premier Parks, which was later purchase by Six Flags.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:44 pm

^LOL, I'm trying so hard NOT to picture Paul Ruben on the flowrider but it's just too hilarious of a thought/image to ignore it!!!!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Is this park worth a visit, heading to Niagra Falls via train in August and was wondering whether to spend the friday morning here before heading back to New York?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 pm

^They have a really good Intamin Hyper, but if you've been on the other Supermen Intamin Hypers I wouldn't go out of my way. It's a mirror image of the one at SFA.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Absimilliard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:11 pm

That "Mach 6" waterslide that is proposed could be a multislide tower from Proslide. They call "Mach 7" the slide complex they built for Colombus Zoo waterpark and it includes there 2 Cannonbowls (bowl slides with double tubes), 1 vertical drop slide, 2 enclosed body slides and 2 tube slides. Would be an amazing move on the part of Darien Lake if they built something like that.

Postby rosscoe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:22 pm

SharkTums wrote:^They have a really good Intamin Hyper, but if you've been on the other Supermen Intamin Hypers I wouldn't go out of my way. It's a mirror image of the one at SFA.

Elissa, thanks for the reply..Haven't been on any of the other Superman Intamin Hypers, so might be worth a trip just to credit whore a few coasters.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm

^If you haven't been on any of the Supermen Hypers then ABSOLUTELY go to the park!

Just don't ride Predator or you'll have a spine injury!

Postby rosscoe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Well thats one more park to my ever growing list for this upcoming trip.

=)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!