TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^Given the rumored expansive ride area, I'm not sure if it would be an accelerator coaster. Perhaps it could be a Maverick-ish low level launched coaster (also like iSpeed or Blue Fire), but even those don't take up that kind of space. And then also given the hints about it being a huge project, and I think we have Florida's first true hypercoaster coming in (I don't count Sheikra as a hyper).

Now I doubt Busch or Intamin would want to build a generic hyper, so it's my hope that this could be something a little new and different, yet obviously keeping the quality reputation that both the Busch Parks and Intamin have for the rides they install.

But of course, this is all assuming that Intamin actually is the company building the new ride. Still could very well be a B&M hyper, you never know.

^I don't know about anyone else, but I would consider a Storm Runner or Maverick type ride to be a pretty big project. ...We shall see.

With that said, I'm really hoping for something that doesn't have over the shoulder restraints, so an Intamin or B&M hyper/mega would definitely be my first choice. But first, let's just make sure we're getting a coaster.

^ It sounds like something that would be a coaster, but you never know. All this could be for a new Gaint Panda or other large animal exibit (Probably not pandas but you get the point: At least I hope). They need another large coaster down there as it is not a very large temptation when I was down there. Sounds promising though.

Busch Gardens Tampa has updated its refurbishment schedule to include new information about the pending closures of some of their various attractions. Closures of note include the refurbishment of the Sky Ride (which utilizes the same station building as the former monorail) at least until the end of the year, as well as the closure of the park's train for just over a month. A more detailed look at the complete schedule can be found here:

http://www.buschgardens.com/bgt/CP/?page=Attraction%20Closures

Having now actually clicked on the link above, it seems the Sky Ride is scheduled to be down June 1 - December 31. So, presumably, it's still open now.

Honestly, I think I'll be slightly disappointed if BGT's next coaster (whenever it happens) isn't a hyper. They have too much upsidedown-ness as it is, in my opinion. Having said that, it always makes me laugh when someone says, "X-park NEEDS another big coaster." Because that need will never end (from that person's perspective).

I find that I prefer parks that have from two to six coasters. More than that, and they tend to become pretty unbalanced: All coasters (many of which they clearly don't care about anymore) and no fun.

Regarding the suppose Feb 25th announcement....I highly doubt is about a new coaster but more of some sort of attraction between now and summer. Many markers have shown up all over the EOA area. The South end of the park needs more rides. It only has Gwazi, Montu, and now Gwazi Gliders Kiddie Rides. I think Like everyone else BGT should put some dark ride in Egypt, I just don't want a Darkastle style ride because IOA already has one like that. So something perhaps more unique. There are a lot of new ideas coming from Mack, Vekoma and even Alterface that BGT should def take advantage of

^I disagree. I think that a DarKastle-like ride, if done well, would offer a nice bit of variety for Busch Gardens Tampa despite the presence of Spider-man in Orlando. It's not the ride system that matters--it's the quality of the experience. The presence of animals at BGT certainly didn't stop Disney from building Animal Kingdom.

But we'll see. I certainly wouldn't object to the park getting some sort of hyper coaster.

^I disagree. I think that a DarKastle-like ride, if done well, would offer a nice bit of variety for Busch Gardens Tampa despite the presence of Spider-man in Orlando. It's not the ride system that matters--it's the quality of the experience. The presence of animals at BGT certainly didn't stop Disney from building Animal Kingdom.

I very much agree with your premise, Chuck, but I think you've picked a dubious example.

I am firmly in the camp of paranoid delusionals who think Disney built an animal park because of BGT, not despite it. Just like they built Disney/MGM is response to USF. And I'm sure, even as we speak, some big Disney mucky-muck is trying to figure out how to out-lego Legoland.

But back to agreeing. BGT and IOA both have a rapids rides, log flumes, and shoot-the chutes. MK and USF both have shooting dark rides. Everyone and their mom has 4-D shows (sometimes, multiple ones in the same park!) You get the idea.

Even from a marketing perspective, how much of the GP is going to be savvy enough to see an advertisement for DarKastle and think, "Hey, that's just like Spider-Man"?

Dark rides are important to the Central Florida market. And BGT needs one.

/And also, a hypercoaster.

^I agree, B&M mega-coaster have become really redundant and bland IMO. There's a ton of them out there already and they're all becoming really similar. I'd rather see something more unique at this park; I certainly wouldn't complain about an Intamin project or a dark ride.

I just cant see anything but a B&M go in at BG.

Unless B&M came up with something revolutionary (For example Breaking 300 ft, or a Hyper Looper with Clam Shell restraints), make me wonder if it will be just another Hyper like Itimidator or Apollo's Chariot.

If it is Intamin, then it should be an Accelerator, one that would best Maverick...

But I really want that Hyper Looper....

Busch Gardens has sent out another press release promoting their last weekend of the Bands, Brew & BBQ concert series for this year.

On Sunday, Feb. 28 at Busch Gardens, four-time Grammy-winning singer, Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo will conclude the series with unforgettable songs like "Hit Me with Your Best Shot.”

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens rocks Saturdays and Sundays in February during Bands, Brew & BBQ, with Central Florida’s best country and classic rock line-up paired with the smokin’ hot flavor of blazing barbecue and ice-cold beer, including craft-brews and some international favorites.

PatBenatar.jpg.57191dc122a9f26a336ceb3dade2028d.jpg

^&^^ That is a BIG deal!

Really cool, love the idea, love the program. Wish it was for others than just Florida Residents, especially since we have passes and practically live in Florida as much as possible!

It's nice to see some of the major parks stepping up and offering special deals and passes to toddlers/preschoolers. This month alone I've seen this, and the offer from Universal Studios Hollywood for a free child's pass!

I was looking at the tours on their website and I noticied something. The Thrill Seekers tour does have an age limit except for the safari portion but the Roller Coaster tour requires you to be 14. Why? I would think they would let anyone any one whos tall enough to ride Montu wich is the coaster the tour tours. Are they really strict on this? When we go I'll be a little over 13 and a half so I was wondering if theres any chance I'll be able to participate. I would have an adult with me if that helps.

EDIT: Behind the Thrills has photos of new anti-rollbacks for Gwazi. Could this mean new trains? I decided not to post the picture here since it is in a members only area on Behind the Thrills so if you want to see it you'll have to go sign up.

http://www.behindthethrills.com/