TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Even though I thought Land of the Dragons was well done and very cute, I always thought it didn't go with the theme of the rest of the park. In Williamsburg, LOTD totally fits in, but not so much with BGT's African theme. I'm glad that the Sesame Street area will have a safari theme. I pray that they keep all of the giant trees that keep that area of the park nice and shaded and cool.

As some have mentioned, I hope we do get a hyper for 2011, but I think this will still be good for the families. The park will now have a pretty good selection of coaster intensity levels for everyone: Air Grover for kids, Cheetah Chase and Scorpion for families. Kumba, Montu, Gwazi and Sheikra for thrill seekers.

They will def keep the trees. at least that's what I heard since it will be done in phases. Half of LOD will be closed for the transformation Starting after HOS I think, and then the other half starting next yr.

• 4 months later...

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a series of announcements and updates regarding their latest project, the Sesame Street Safari of Fun. This new family section of the park is similar in basic concept of Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Forest of Fun.

The original press release reads:

This spring, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay welcomes families to an all-new, Sesame Street-themed, sunny, funny playland featuring Elmo, Big Bird and all their friends. Sesame Street Safari of Fun will be filled with rides, shows and adventures that celebrate the spirit of Africa. Sesame Street and Busch Gardens unite to create a signature attraction found nowhere else.

Sesame Street Safari of Fun will include a new junior roller coaster designed for parents and children to ride together. “Air Grover” is full of mini-dives and twisty turns as families soar through the Sahara. Other kid-sized rides include “Zoe-Patra & the Hippos of the Nile,” a splashy flume ride through the famed river; “Rosita’s Djembe Fly-Away,” a swing ride that sends kids whirling above the African canopy; “Elmo’s Safari Go-Round,” a tribal-inspired carousel with Elmo and his friends; and more. “Oscar’s Swamp Stomp” provides cool water fun, and “Bert & Ernie’s Water Hole” is a wet adventure filled with bubblers, geysers, jets, dumping buckets and more. A photography studio gives kids the chance to share a hug and a smile with Sesame Street friends, and musical performances bring tales of adventure to life.

The new destination for family-friendly adventure will be created where Land of the Dragons now exists, and will double the area’s current size.

“Sesame Street Safari of Fun will be a fantastic addition to Busch Gardens,” says Donnie Mills, Busch Gardens’ executive vice president and general manager. “With Sesame Street Safari of Fun, Busch Gardens truly has something for all ages, and this new destination in the park is certain to be a hit among families and kids.”

In addition to the rides and play areas, families also will be able to watch their favorite characters on the big screen. “Sesame Street presents Lights, Camera, Imagination!” will run in the park’s 4-D theater, located in Timbuktu. And families can share breakfast and lunch with Elmo and the rest of the characters on select days at an outdoor dining facility adjacent to Sesame Street Safari of Fun.

Sesame Street Safari of Fun expands upon the variety of unique experiences Busch Gardens offers. With thrilling rides, award-winning shows and exotic up-close animal encounters, Busch Gardens provides unrivaled excitement for guests of every age.

A second, more recent press release was also sent out regarding details of the new area:

“This new attraction is going to be unlike anything families have encountered before, with unique African-inspired costumes for Elmo, Big Bird and their friends, and exciting adventures for families to share,” says Donnie Mills, Busch Gardens’ executive vice president and general manager. “With the addition of Sesame Street Safari of Fun, Busch Gardens truly has something for all ages, and this new destination in the park is certain to be a hit among families and kids.”

Sesame Street Safari of Fun will provide kid-size rides aplenty to delight kids and kids-at-heart. One highlight is a new junior roller coaster designed for parents and children to ride together. “Air Grover” is full of mini-dives and twisty turns as families soar through the Sahara. “Oscar’s Swamp Stomp” provides cool water fun, and “Bert & Ernie’s Water Hole” is a wet adventure filled with bubblers, geysers, jets, dumping buckets and more. “Big Bird’s 123-Smile with Me” photography studio gives kids the chance to share a hug and a smile with Sesame Street friends, and musical performances bring safari tales to life. The new destination for family-friendly adventure is being created where Land of the Dragons exists, and will double the area’s current size to 2.5 acres.

And to finish with the written information, Busch Gardens has given us a "Fun Facts" sheet with information about all of the different aspects of the Safari of Fun.

SESAME STREET SAFARI OF FUN

• Size: Approximately 2.5 acres

RIDES and PLAY AREAS

• Air Grover: A junior coaster full of fun turns, mini-dives, perfect for parents and kids to ride together.

• The Count’s Zambezi Rally: A kid-size car ride that takes you on a jaunt through desert and tribal trails.

• Zoe-Patra & the Hippos of the Nile: A splashy flume ride through the famed river.

• Snuffy’s Elephant Romp: Fly around and around and up and down on Snuffy’s fun friends.

• Elmo’s Safari Go-Round: A tribal-inspired carousel with Elmo and his friends.

• Rosita’s Djembe Fly-Away: A swing ride through the jungle that sends kids whirling above the African canopy.

• Big Bird’s Whirly Birdie: It’s funny side up on Big Bird’s delightfully playful Ferris wheel ride.

• Telly’s Jungle Jam: Explore sounds, shapes and shadows in this naturally engaging play area for kids of ALL abilities.

• Elmo’s Treehouse Trek: A 3-story hideaway to play hide-n-seek, discover new levels of fun and get a bird’s eye view of the entire play land.

• Cookie Monster’s Canopy Crawl: Climb, crawl and explore this 3-story net climb.

• Slimey’s Sahara Sand: A fun-filled, sand-filled beachy oasis where kids can frolic in the coolest desert around.

• Oscar’s Swamp Stomp: Stomp, splash and play in Oscar’s delightfully cool water play area.

• Bert & Ernie’s Watering Hole: A wildly fun water adventure filled with bubblers, geysers, jets, dumping buckets and more.

• Sunny Day Theater: Musical performances bring tales of adventure to life.

• Sesame Street presents “Lights, Camera, Imagination!”: A 4-D movie that brings the Sesame Street Muppets’ adventures to life with zany 3-D gags and special effects like wind, water and jump-out-of-your-seat surprises. NOTE: Plays in 4-D theater in Timbuktu area of the park.

DINING

• Dine with Elmo and Friends: Share breakfast or lunch with Elmo and his friends on select days at an outdoor dining facility adjacent to Sesame Street Safari of Fun. Fill up on hugs from your favorite characters, sumptuous food and family together time during these unique dining experiences.

• Snack-n-Getti Tribal Treats: Take time for all kinds of tasty treats to keep your energy up for more adventures!

SHOPPING

• Abby Cadabby’s Treasure Hut: A bazaar of unique items, including tons of safari treasures. They’re waiting in Abby Cadabby’s cool hut – full of Sesame Street Safari of Fun gifts you can’t find any place else.

• Cookie Monster’s Trading Post: Looks like Cookie Monster’s cravings have gone beyond sweets! Check out his trading post full of safari-inspired fun gifts.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

• Air Grover Ride Photos: Take home a photo of your awesome ride on Air Grover – a priceless memory of this coaster ride that had you soaring up and diving down through the Sahara.

• Big Bird’s 123-Smile with Me: All your favorite Sesame Street friends are here to meet and greet, share a laugh, a hug – and a photo.

This is definitely an exciting addition for Busch Gardens, and a fitting replacement for the aged Land of the Dragons.

507869025_MRontour.jpg.a150c6c5489f4f2a28eff1b26b9df2cc.jpg

Mark Ross shows off Air Grover to the guests of the hard hat tour...

19278398_MarkRoseandBIf-stage.jpg.233d717480bc266dcc00a75324cfec08.jpg

Vice President of Design & Engineering Mark Rose with Bif, the construction worker from Sesame Street

BGTSSSOF_KeyVisual_FINAL.jpg.f50d2b97e167bc2f7d507bbd8b4ed108.jpg

The final Safari of Fun logo

2101176536_AreaRenderingFinal.jpg.7644b938a06c1a66f9f0aae9cf825dd4.jpg

A rendering of the entire area as it will be divided...

593722404_AirGroverRenderingFinal.jpg.5301685f2a787e96b1d9b059dd877164.jpg

A final rendering of Air Grover

ole0.bmp

The early Safari of Fun logo

Edited by larrygator

Wow you are right this is a great addition. I didnt know they were gonna seperate it into several areas! Now this is a theme park within a theme park lol...

Thanks for all your news updates for the theme park world...

I had no idea it was already this much under construction!

^I agree it's nice that they are updating the kids area and it looks amazing, but I still wish parks would go back to the old "have a few kids rides near all the major rides" instead of segregating the kids to one or two select areas in the whole park.

For example Port Aventura had at least 2 - 3 small rides near every major ride (except Baco) and it was great for baby swapping!

• 4 weeks later...

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release about their latest act in their "Bands, Brew & BBQ" concert series.

On Valentine’s Day, Sunday, Feb. 14, Willie Nelson performs at Busch Gardens. The American country icon will be performing some of his renowned hits, including “Always On My Mind,” “Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain” and “On The Road Again.”

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens rock Saturdays and Sundays in February during Bands, Brew & BBQ: Central Florida’s best country and classic rock line up paired with the smokin’ hot flavor of blazing barbeque and ice-cold beer, including craft-brews and some international favorites.

Another interesting note... Busch Gardens' website lists a new "Holidays at Busch Gardens" event under its special events page. From the looks of the logo alone, this seems to be a part of the SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment holiday event initiative that started with Seaworld Orlando's installation of the Polar Express Experience and has been carried out with the launch of Christmas Town at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. More information is set to be announced farther down the road, but we have a teaser image to tide us over in the meantime. http://buschgardens.com/Bgt/Explore/Events.aspx

WillieNelson.jpg.d34734a0f387b85733920e15a7697e51.jpg

10010403370171_1.jpg.27915ddb6db0ea9c37b59be9c8902884.jpg

Seaworld has sent us another press release about their Bands, Brew & BBQ concert series for this weekend:

At Busch Gardens, Huey Lewis and the News will rock true ‘80s and early ‘90s classics on Sunday, Feb. 21. The band will jam out with "The Power of Love" and “The Heart of Rock & Roll.”

At Bands, Brew & BBQ guests can enjoy sizzling live performances from award-winning country and classic rock artists, ice-cold beer, the smokin' hot flavor of blazing barbeque and all the thrilling attractions SeaWorld and Busch Gardens has to offer.

Separate charges apply to all food and beverage items. Event times and talent subject to change or cancellation without notice. Seating capacity is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Must be 21 years or older to purchase alcohol.

HueyLewis.jpg.67585e3066db67d46a302d50bb268c4f.jpg

Busch Gardens Tampa has updated its refurbishment schedule to include new information about the pending closures of some of their various attractions. Closures of note include the refurbishment of the Sky Ride (which utilizes the same station building as the former monorail) at least until the end of the year, as well as the closure of the park's train for just over a month. A more detailed look at the complete schedule can be found here:

http://www.buschgardens.com/bgt/CP/?page=Attraction%20Closures

Some speculate that this closure surrounds the supposed "major announcement" that has been rumored for February 25th, 2010.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a recap press release about Willie Nelson's visit and performance during the Bands, Brew & BBQ concert series from this past weekend.

On a beautiful Valentine’s Day, Willie Nelson was all about sharing the love with his family and friends during a performance at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

Moments before hitting the stage, Nelson met Mattie, an American bald eagle. Mattie is a rescued animal and an ambassador for the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund. Nelson’s passion for conservation is true to his heart.

Nelson joined son Lukas, sister Bobbie and longtime friends, drummer Paul English and harmonicist Mickey Raphael for a grand performance in front of a packed crowd. The “Red Headed Stranger” performed his timeless classics along with soon-to-be new hits that will be on his record “Country Love,” set to release April 20. After his 90-minute performance, Nelson headed off in his bio-diesel bus and was on the road again, waving one last goodbye to his loving fans.

205574648_WillieNelson.jpg.6887af54939f2898b3cb5a2aff4a2f74.jpg

1855689585_WillieNelson2.jpg.e58b69a9bdfe59c2869f3cec9b7df913.jpg

That's disappointing, but I always found it weird that they never let you get off at the middle station, at least when I've been there. Maybe they'll redo the Egypt entrance building, that was one stand-out ugly lump of 70's concrete.

There is nothing at the midpoint to drop you off at....other than the veldt...which makes no sense to drop you off there. Besides the Stanleyville stop is close to it as well....

It's good that they're just refurbishing the skyride instead of taking it out. Too many parks are getting rid of these rides, which, in my opinion, are not only enjoyable, but serve the purpose of moving people. I really miss the one at SFMM.

Eric

That's disappointing, but I always found it weird that they never let you get off at the middle station, at least when I've been there. Maybe they'll redo the Egypt entrance building, that was one stand-out ugly lump of 70's concrete.

There is nothing at the midpoint to drop you off at....other than the veldt...which makes no sense to drop you off there. Besides the Stanleyville stop is close to it as well....

From what I understand, once upon a time, they used the middle station as an actual stop. They had something called the Treehouses or Treetops, which were thatch-roof huts on stilts were you could go up and look out over the animal area. Hence the random paths out in the area.