TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

It's never been officially confirmed, but throughout the park, it's generally been known that 2009 was also the King Kahuna's last year. Today, I drove by the park and saw that it was being dismantled, which is about the best confirmation we can get.

Here's a slightly less sarcastic update. If it weren't for all the snow, I'd have had better shots.

1173794418_20910(1).JPG.6aa443fdc5d65b062e928ed8975c1623.JPG

The newest pieces are at left. 10 total.

2047018280_20910(2).JPG.a55ab5485d0ed8c1fedd4bdb36b7436a.JPG

For all you support fans.

672344101_20910(3).JPG.bd17be217906b679331d7eff47321ddb.JPG

One of two pile drivers on site...bet they're having difficulties with 2 feet of snow to deal with and another foot projected for tomorrow!

Nice to see work on the coaster start, although, it seems like they face another problem as soon as another one is solved. Hopefully the snow doesn't set them too far back, and hopefully they can finally start to build the coaster soon. I now there seems to be some concern among the locals about when it opens, but even with the delays, I don't see there being any significant problem with opening the ride.

^Im a bit confused as to what took them so long now too...for a while the whole "They're waiting to start because of the weather in winter" thing seemed to explain it well, but if theyre starting NOW they are starting in the middle of the worst weather Pittsburgh has seen in YEARS (in case you havent heard, Pittsburgh is currently buried in over 2 feet of snow, is still receiving more daily, and is in a "declared state of emergency")...so I don't see how the weather had anything to do with it now unless they just decided they had waited too long already and had to move forward no matter how bad it was outside...

We all knew KK would leave soon, it was just a matter of time. The ride rarely ran with a full load, and it had bad press when it got stuck upside down due to a hydraulic malfunction I believe it was.

I remember when that happened to a friend and myself on Iron Eagle at SFA a few years ago for about ten minutes...needless to say that one came off the map the year after.

But on topic, I want to see this ride go vertical! All this damn snow isn't really helping the process though!

^ Maybe the guys who were working on the Phantom are the same guys putting the Sky Rocket up? Also, maybe they wanted to make sure at least the Phantom will be open when the park opens and not have a situation where both the Sky Rocket and the Phantom are closed. I'm just guessing, but that seems to be the most logical explanation.

I'm excited to ride the Sky Rocket, that's for sure.

I don't care when its done, but atleast Kennywood is getting a new coaster which is good enough for me. I live in Pittsburgh so I know I'll be there when it opens and gosh darnit I'll be proud its at Kennywood.

Same here. As long as I get to ride it this summer I'll be a happy customer.