Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: The Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby Zack44 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I can't believe how incredibly late I am on this development, but this whole thing can be seen in 2 different lights:

BAD LIGHT: Six Flags is shutting down a park for the first time in years and it shows how bad the situation is for them after they declared Chapter 11.

GOOD LIGHT: (Hopefully) If Kentucky doesn't actually do anything with the park in the future, the company can haul all/most of these rides to other parks for the big 5-0 in 2011. :roll:

Or do I sound too hopeful and stupid?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Hikaru-chan wrote:I think I heard that American Adventures was sold a couple of seasons ago.

American Adventures is still owned by Six Flags

Spinach plus Tuna makes the taste of the paste!

Postby Reality15 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:08 pm

Not true. American Adventures was leased by Zuma Holdings in 2008. It's now a part of the Mega Fun Parks, LLC chain, though the land it sits on is still owned by Six Flags (next to White Water: Atlanta). They operate small FECs in Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Colorado, Arizona and Texas in addition to American Adventures. Mega Fun Parks has announced the park won't open for 2010, however, but they are no longer a "part of the Six Flags family."
Check me out on: Flickr // YouTube // Facebook // Twitter

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Reality15 wrote:Not true. American Adventures was leased by Zuma Holdings in 2008. It's now a part of the Mega Fun Parks, LLC chain, though the land it sits on is still owned by Six Flags (next to White Water: Atlanta). They operate small FECs in Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Colorado, Arizona and Texas in addition to American Adventures. Mega Fun Parks has announced the park won't open for 2010, however, but they are no longer a "part of the Six Flags family."

Oh I didn't know that. Weird because on the map at American Adventure it still says a Six Flags Theme Park.

What isn't opening in 2010?

(22:06:18) ajc47: who are the obnoxious ones? (22:07:16) tatertot3710: Mr. Starr, jeremie, deathbydinn

Postby tatertot3710 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:02 pm

This was under the FAQ section of the letter:

What happens to the rides at Kentucky Kingdom?
We are still making those decisions, since we had been hopeful that we could keep the park open. We know that some of the rides and attractions will be relocated to other parks, though the final details are still being worked out.
Last Credit: Stinger (Dorney Park, 4/28) -- Bringing coaster count to 83

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Apparently the fair owns all of the rides and screwed the fair grounds out of Chang

After Thursday night's bombshell from Six Flags that it is closing its Kentucky Kingdom theme park at the Fairgrounds, there are no signs of any reversal of that decision.

A state fair board spokeswoman says she is not aware of any contact or changes.

So what's next?

Six Flags has said it plans to "move expeditiously to re-locate several of the more than 40 rides and attractions to other markets.”
But we checked the lease which indicates that those rides are property of Kentucky.

Harold Workman, Ky. Fair Board President, said, “Six Flags removed the Chang rollercoaster ride. They requested they able to remove it through me they requested that under the pretense that they were going to expand the water park and after showing me diagrams and pictures of what they were going to expand and what they were going to add and so on. So, we're a little disappointed in the fact they removed a ride but never really moved on expanding the water park.”

He said that at that point, the way the lease is worded makes it sounds like Chang could have belonged to the Fair Board because it is affixed to the ground.

Workman says Six Flags wanted to pay no rent for nine years remaining on the lease. The offer also included a share of profits, if there was any.

http://www.whas11.com/news/business/Wha ... 72172.html

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:49 pm

My question is this: what is in it for the state to NOT work with Six Flags? Six Flags asking for no rent is slightly ridiculous, but for the state, are they going to make up the tax revenue by using the SFKK property for something else? I'd be curious to know just how much revenue is generated for the state between the income taxes of employees (and subsequent taxes on anything they spend with their wages) and sales tax from stuff sold at the park. Plus I'm sure Six Flags had to pay all sorts of other random taxes/registration/licensing/etc. fees to the state too.

It's obvious Six Flags was looking for a way out by offering such ridiculous terms on the lease, but I'm also thinking that the fair board is going to be kicking themselves for not working harder to reach a deal with Six Flags.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 am

^I agree in a seance, but state fair boards tend to have a ton (and way too much) power in southern states. Got to wonder if the city and state had no real power over what the fair board did. The only way I can see the fair boards side is if they get to keep all the rides. I know at one point recent the original owner of SFKK wanted the park back. This would be a chance for them to sell the park to someone and get a new lease. This is all dependent on how much of the park gets to stay.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:21 am

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Whats-next-for-Six-Flags-Fair-Pres-says-rides-might-not-be-going-anywhere-83772172.html

After Thursday night's bombshell from Six Flags that it is closing its Kentucky Kingdom theme park at the Fairgrounds, there are no signs of any reversal of that decision.

A state fair board spokeswoman says she is not aware of any contact or changes.So what's next? Six Flags has said it plans to "move expeditiously to re-locate several of the more than 40 rides and attractions to other markets.” But we checked the lease which indicates that those rides are property of Kentucky.

Harold Workman, Ky. Fair Board President, said, “Six Flags removed the Chang rollercoaster ride. They requested they able to remove it through me they requested that under the pretense that they were going to expand the water park and after showing me diagrams and pictures of what they were going to expand and what they were going to add and so on. So, we're a little disappointed in the fact they removed a ride but never really moved on expanding the water park.” He said that at that point, the way the lease is worded makes it sounds like Chang could have belonged to the Fair Board because it is affixed to the ground. Workman says Six Flags wanted to pay no rent for nine years remaining on the lease. The offer also included a share of profits, if there was any.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Hockeydad » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 am

They will probably keep whatever rides they can on property, for the state fair. They have been using SFKK's rides for the state fair for years as an up-charge section of the fair. The part I never have gotten was that they would still truck in all the fair rides as well. I'm guessing the state had some kind of contract with the ride company. It is just so weird to be there and see a rides section in the parking lot across from SFKK. :?r

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!