TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I just wanted to let everyone know that even with the recent announcement of SFKK closing, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Online is not and will not close. We are still working on long term plans for what we want to do, but we are most likely going to become a fan site for Holiday World or becoming a general theme park site. The site will be staying around!

As of now, the only difference on the site is that our future construction and rumors sections have been closed. Other than that, the site will be operating as normal.

While the news of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom is very unfortunate, we at SFKKO are planning for the future and hope to continue to grow. Now is still a great time to become a member and keep up to date with the situation.

For more information, please go to www.sfkkonline.com

By the way, I think it's funny to hear people saying: *Ride* should come to/would be best at *Local SF park*.

I only said that about Greezed Lightning because it was relocated there from SFGAM. Hey, if it is relocated back to SFGAM, then maybe they should call it Deja Vu.

What really sucks for us is that we bought passes for this season, (the real reason was to use them for SFOG & SFGAdv, which we still plan to do). But the worst part was that my 6 yr. old was all geared up to finally ride Greezed Lightnin'!

- On a personal level, I hope they find a home for Greezed Lightnin', I do love that coaster. Me and my daughter would marathon ride that coaster as much as we could every visit.

- Deluge will find a new home with no problem! I hope the same is true of Penguins Blizzard River. On the drench factor, I have never rode a better river ride anywhere.

^^ Parks don't always need to build rollercoaster to draw people as you can see they were changing things around with the removal of Chang and the addition of that bonzai water expansion. My guess is they realized that the park is more attractive as a water park instead of a theme park and thats how most of it's future would be if it were to remain open.

I'm not so sure the removal of CHANG was a precursor to the park closing. All the 8-9 years we'd been going to the park it was pretty obvious that most people came for the waterpark in the first place. I think the new waterpark expansion was legit, it just came down to Six Flags deciding not to renew the lease, and deciding their resources could be used better elsewhere.

They thought a ton of that waterpark though. I mean over the past five years they'd either added new rides or updated and remodeled the existing ones. And it worked for us on several occasions, we live 25 minutes from King's Island, but would still travel 2 hours down to SFKK a couple times a season for the waterpark.

As far as CHANG goes, could it possibly be a decision to move it because of the cost of the upkeep/maintenance for it? That coaster seemed to have it's fair share of downtime, (though when it did run it was one of the better stand-up's I'd ridden). May they ave possibly removed it to put it at one of their bigger parks where it could get better ridership, and more attention when it needed it?

What a sad thing... I was planning my next summer trip and Six Flags Kentucky was in it. Besides Holiday World, is there any suggestions around this place ?

Thanks !

I've only visited the area once when I hit King's Island, HW, SFKK, and Stricker's Grove in the same weekend but I'd recommend checking out the Roller Coaster Database as there is a feature on there where you can see parks and the distance in between.

Make sure you seach for existing parks.

I did KI to HW in about three hours with no stops.

What a sad thing... I was planning my next summer trip and Six Flags Kentucky was in it. Besides Holiday World, is there any suggestions around this place ?

Thanks !

I've only visited the area once when I hit King's Island, HW, SFKK, and Stricker's Grove in the same weekend but I'd recommend checking out the Roller Coaster Database as there is a feature on there where you can see parks and the distance in between.

Make sure you seach for existing parks.

I did KI to HW in about three hours with no stops.

Beech Bend also isn't very far away. Did both BB and SFKK in one day last year with plenty of time to spare. I believe they were about an hour and a half apart.

Yeah it really does kinda make me wonder if management in their restructurning had a backup plan knowing that they could close the park. To all those concerned about the job loss. I really don't have too much sympathy. Nearly all of the employees are "seasonal" help. In the original release it mentioned that it affected 50 yes 50 full time jobs. I hate to break it to you but a McDonald's normally runs with about 30-40 employees both full and part time jobs. There will still be plenty of part time jobs for people to go out and get. It sounds cruel but true. Anyone that depends on a job that is only avail for 5 months a year consistently really needs to consider their long term career path.

On the note of ride relocation, I would not be surprised in the least if they are NOT able to move any of the rides. Part of me thinks they got Chang the heck off property before the negotiations went down in this event cause then they would at least have a chance to save their Mulit-million dollar headliner. They were able to sneak it out under the guise of a waterpark expansion knowing that most patrons of the park went for the water park not the rides. The only people who really know are the fair board and six flags executives as to the true terms of the lease aggrment. I think getting chang out before the end of the year was a way of cutting their losses.

^ What makes me believe that SF wanted to close the park the whole time is the fact that SF started to remove Chang in September before Fright fest and before the end of the season. I wouldn't question SF motives so much if someone explained SF rush on removing Chang! SF is not in a rush to get Chang up at another park,(now in storage) nor was SF in a rush to have Bonzai Beach built!(wasn't due until 2011) So my question is why couldn't they have ran Chang until the end of the 2009 season?!