Photo TR: Divv & Andrew at Adventure Island

Yes, a park in the UK is open in January!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Photo TR: Divv & Andrew at Adventure Island

Postby Divv3k » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 pm

With Andrew only in the UK for six months we didn''t want to wast any time in getting him to some parks. Luckily for us Adventure Island in Southend is open all year round and we just managed to squeeze in a visit on the last day of January!

The park itself is quite small but they really do pack a lot of stuff into that space. I kind of describe the place as a cross between Blackpool and BonBon-Land. Weird I know, but that's really the vibe I get witht the sea-side location and all the wacky theming!

The big ride at Adventure Island is Rage, the Eurofighter which was really running good on our visit. It's at least as good as, if not better than Saw in my view.

The park also updated their dark ride recently and really have done a good job of making it spooky and fun, in a way that Scottish Steve would just love!

Here's the photos...
AIDivv0001.jpg
Andrew’s barely been in the UK for a week but he's not wasting any time in getting some credits!
AIDivv0159.jpg
If you needed any proof that more parks should open all year round then just check out Adventure Island!
AIDivv0021.jpg
Of course the real purpose of this visit was to take as many photos of ride signs as possible for Larry!
AIDivv0141.jpg
Oh yeah, Ben joined us too! Ready for some Eurofighter fun, guys?
AIDivv0013.jpg
Rage is definitely the premier ride at Adventure Island and the real reason you want to visit!
AIDivv0146.jpg
I kind of liken it to Daemonen at Tivoli Gardens, in that it’s a really tiny version of its model but is still great fun!
AIDivv0015.jpg
Reach out and pet it! You know you want to!
AIDivv0028.jpg
More crocodiles need to wear jumpers and hats. It smuses me greatly.
AIDivv0030.jpg
Thumbs up to credits in the UK! In January!!!
AIDivv0035.jpg
When I last visited in 2007 the dark ride was totally different. The new Over The Hill version is really cool!
AIDivv0038.jpg
This guy is destined to become Scottish Steve’s best friend in the whole world one day!
AIDivv0007.jpg
I checked the park index for missing ride signs before my visit, make sure you do too!
AIDivv0046.jpg
Get your joygasm on, tyre-powered-lift-hill enthusiasts!
AIDivv0095.jpg
Adventure Island’s ferris wheel isn’t that big, despite what the sign may have you believe!
AIDivv0051.jpg
How many ferris wheels can you ride in Toronto in January?
AIDivv0049.jpg
I could have sworn there where a coaster here the last time I visited!
AIDivv0024.jpg
Ah. I guess Andrew will be missing this credit today.
AIDivv0142.jpg
Fret not Larry – I still got you a photo of the ride sign! ;)
AIDivv0060.jpg
The Crooked House is a very “interesting” attraction.
AIDivv0055.jpg
Anything that features spanking of pussy cats works for me!
AIDivv0059.jpg
Stand straight, Andrew!
AIDivv0057.jpg
That’s just plain freaky!
AIDivv0061.jpg
A gold mine themed to hell? You better believe it!
AIDivv0068.jpg
It looks like Adventure Island managed to procure some surplus Alton Towers Scarefest themeing for the gold mine from hell.
AIDivv0063.jpg
Do not let this kiddie looking ride deceive you. It spins like a washing machine!
AIDivv0069.jpg
You see? It's just like anyone you’d encounter on your regular stroll through a western town.
AIDivv0076.jpg
YAY! Super Wooden Happy Slide!
AIDivv0071.jpg
Not only do you get all the fun of the slide but you also get a free door mat out of it!
AIDivv0073.jpg
Andrew just loves sliding down some wood.
AIDivv0098.jpg
Rumba Zamba: I have no idea what it means but I guess relates to spinning on a big disk somehow!
AIDivv0082.jpg
There’s no need to get homesick, Andrew! It’s just like you never left!
AIDivv0108.jpg
Ben and Andrew were stupid enough to ride The Claw AND give me their wallets whilst they rode. You'd think they'd have learned by now!
AIDivv0113.jpg
I could swear these rides have more arms than that…
AIDivv0106.jpg
Oh.
AIDivv0122.jpg
Where’s Brad when Andrew needs him?
AIDivv0149.jpg
Too much Fudge! Is there such a thing?
AIDivv0150.jpg
Southern Steve, here’s another EXCLUSIVE, just for you!
AIDivv0033.jpg
Did we just walk through a transdimensional portal into BonBon-Land?
AIDivv0079.jpg
Andrew’s been desperate for a long, long time to say “Hi Erik!”
AIDivv0092.jpg
Scottish Steve! I can’t believe you’ve been here all day and never said hi!
AIDivv0158.jpg
Whilst it’s a small park Adventure Island really squeezes a lot in and has some really good stuff. They also prove that parks can be open just fine at this time of the year, let’s hope more parks take notice of this!

Thanks for reading!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:42 pm

thanks Divv.

Sorry, I made you go to a park and take pictures.

I just looked at the video of the Gold Mine on the Adventure Island website. It looks like a lot of fun, if your name is not Elissa or Divv.

Gold Mine Video
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Divv3k » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:04 pm

^ Happy to help out TPR in any way I can, Larry! In fact I took a load more flat ride and ride sign photos that I'll upload through the park index this week.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Any idea if the coaster is down for good, moving somewhere, or just for some off season maintenance?

Postby Divv3k » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:11 pm

From what I've read the coaster will be rebuilt on top of the arcade that they're building in its spot.

There was pieces of the coaster scattered all over the park, no track that I could see though, but I guess it's somewhere close.

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Nice TR Divv :) I was upset I couldn't get down there, but at least it's only the dark ride that's changed.

It's a really nice little park that doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as it should be! London based TPR members, go to Adventure Island NOW!!

Dave

The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Postby Pirouettes907 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't know if I'd ever heard of this place before, but it looks like fun! I thought hungover turtle-themed chairswings were unique to Bon Bon Land, but I guess not--do you happen to know whose came first?

I'm also impressed they're open year-round. I thought 40 degrees F. was the magic number for operating coasters. Judging from this TR and Robb and Elissa's riding coasters in the snow in Japan, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

And of course no such thing exists as too much fudge :Pr

Thanks for sharing this; you're lucky to be able to ride coasters during the winter!

~Megan

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Pirouettes907 wrote:I don't know if I'd ever heard of this place before, but it looks like fun! I thought hungover turtle-themed chairswings were unique to Bon Bon Land, but I guess not

I think it's a standard model. I could swear i've seen others but I can't remember where.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Pirouettes907 wrote:I'm also impressed they're open year-round. I thought 40 degrees F. was the magic number for operating coasters. Judging from this TR and Robb and Elissa's riding coasters in the snow in Japan, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

The US has been lying to us for years now!!!! Seriously.

It's all a money issue. It costs money to keep the rides maintained longer, and costs money to have the staff around. Most parks know that most Americans won't go to theme parks when it's cold, rainy, bad weather, etc. so they close.

It's lame.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby msep003 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 pm

i was there yesterday on 31/01 for a couple of hours . we missed each other lol

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive