Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm

^ That would be amazing. However that red coaster would be the star attractiona nd not the Cyclone. I don't like that too much.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm

I really hope this goes through. I went to Coney for the first time back in August. The place just screams of needing some love.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby coastered » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:20 pm

deathbydinn wrote:^ That would be amazing. However that red coaster would be the star attractiona nd not the Cyclone. I don't like that too much.

I think that giant red rollercoaster will be a great rollercoaster, but i does not fit in a classic amusement park like Coney Island.
Coney Island only needs the classic rollercoasters like Thunderbolt and the classic amusement rides.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:33 pm

I think the trick to make this successful will be to find the balance between the old school charm with the "I feel safe to go here" which is missing today. There are a few boardwalk areas that have found this balance and have continued to be successful and hopefully Coney Island will find that!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Found some recent developments.

This one is the most recent, and talks about how there are about 50 companies bidding.

Coney island Bidding

This one is interesting, but is more of a "what it can become" scenario.

Possible Rides

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby wiyoh1984 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 am

^ From what I read they are really wanting to modernize the area. I'm cool with those ideas, I hope they work the area in such away that it becomes a modern classic area.

I do believe there is a way to mix the classic with modern without killing the spotlight on the Cyclone.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

NYC close to deal w/ Zamperla to operate at Coney Island

Postby milst1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:27 pm

City Near Deal for New Coney Island Operator
By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Updated, 3:06 p.m.| It looks like Coney Island will not go without a whirling, clanging amusement park and a crop of new rides for the first time in more than a century as many had feared. The city’s Economic Development Corporation is negotiating a lease with an amusement park operator, Zamperla USA, for six vacant acres in the heart of what has been the amusement district, between Surf Avenue and the ocean.

It is not a done deal, but city officials are hopeful that they can make an announcement as soon as next week that Zamperla has signed a contract to operate in Coney Island for up to 10 years. The negotiations were first reported by NY1 News.

Coney Island boosters and some community groups had worried that the waterfront district would become a dead zone this summer. Last November, the city agreed to pay $95.6 million for roughly six acres owned by the developer Joseph J. Sitt, who had spent a fortune buying land in the area and developing a proposal to revive the fabled playground that competed with the city’s vision.

But prior to that deal, Mr. Sitt had closed the Astroland amusement park and evicted many of the tenants. The city solicited bids from operators in November and got a handful of responses. It now appears that it will have an operator in place soon.

An executive at Zamperla’s office in New Jersey said the company had been instructed to refer all calls to the city’s development agency.

David Lombino, a spokesman for the development agency, conceded that the city was “closing in on an agreement with an operator for an expanded outdoor amusement park that will be open to the public starting this summer.” He declined to go into detail.

But even some critics of the city’s plans were cautiously optimistic about the pending deal.

“They’re an outstanding company,” Dick Zigun, executive director of Coney Island USA, which conducts the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade, said of Zamperla. “They would be my choice. I’m hopeful that come Memorial Day, Coney Island will have more rides than we’ve seen in the past decade.”

Zamperla USA is the American wing of an Italian company that is known more as the largest manufacturer of amusement park rides, everything from kiddie rides to sophisticated roller coasters and other thrill rides, than as an amusement park operator. The company usually has the largest single booth at the annual meeting of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions. Its products, like the Zodiac, which has seats mounted on a spinning disk at the top of a tower, show up at amusement parks all over the world.

Councilman Domenic M. Recchia, whose district includes Coney Island, said that Zamperla had submitted a creative proposal that set it apart from the other bidders. “You’ll love it,” he said, declining to give details. “We’ll have what the bigger amusement parks have, on a smaller scale.”

Zamperla operates the Victorian Gardens at Wollman Rink in Central Park, as well as Minitalia Leolandia Amusement Park in Capriate San Vervasio, Italy. Valerio Ferrari, the president of Zamperla USA, was a member of a city-sponsored advisory panel last year that made a series of recommendations concerning the redevelopment of Coney Island’s amusement area.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... -operator/
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Midway State Park
Next Park: La Ronde
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 104

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 pm

http://www.ny1.com/7-brooklyn-news-cont ... t-operator

The city has chosen Italian-based company Zamperla USA to become the new amusement park operator for Coney Island.
Zamperla USA was named the new amusement park operator for Coney Island Tuesday.

The company was among several others vying for the operating rights, including Ripley's Believe or Not and Steel Pier.

Contenders for the rights had to submit proposals, which included developing at one of the three parcels of land between the former Astroland site and KeySpan Park.

Sources say Zamperla's plan included developing all three.

City officials want the rides up and running by this summer.

The city acquired the land from developer Joe Sitt last month.

Zamperla is an Italian company and is one of the largest manufactures of amusement rides in the world with its American headquarters based out of Parsippany, New Jersey.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

It's probably just me, but I think a "Las Vegas style" restort feels a bit out of place... in Brooklyn I mean. Clean it up and modernize it a little, but if it turns into Disnyworld then I wouldn't be too interested in the place.

The "vision" looks nice though.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:03 pm

What "vision" are you talking about, DE?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!