Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 324: V.I.PASSHOLDER Perks in January announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby derek_lentz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Without having seen the actual operation, it would seem that the best way for this to work would be to have a castmember at the end of the adults only line. They would release the parents one by one to retrieve their children and the family would get into a much shorter adults & children line.

Just a guess though.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:57 am

This is an outstanding idea. In August, my fiancee and I waited for the Up characters at DHS. The wait was easily over an hour and kids were either falling asleep or bored out of their minds. This at least gives them something to do and help keep the sanity level of those in line.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:10 am

This kind of thing has already been done in Legoland. What degree of success it has had, I really don't know.

Have we really gotten to the point where people wait over an hour for a meet n' greet? Considering how much being at WDW costs per hour, that makes me cringe a little bit.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby CD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 am

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:Have we really gotten to the point where people wait over an hour for a meet n' greet? Considering how much being at WDW costs per hour, that makes me cringe a little bit.

Yes indeed. I went to the Magic Kingdom yesterday and while walking through Fantasyland I noticed the sign at Ariel's meet and greet said "You are 60 minutes from meeting Ariel!"... A lot of children want to come to WDW just to meet the characters, and those kid's parents want to make them happy.

I like the new idea. But like everyone else said, I don't know how this will work smoothly with only one parent.
- Come visit me at Test Track, Mission Space, and Spaceship Earth in EPCOT over at WDW, I would love to meet some more TPR members!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 pm

I could see problems with parents who want to see their kids at all time, and parents running back and forth to attend to their kids. Could work though, but that's why it's only in test mode now.

Artist Formerly Known As Papas

Postby bp/19 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:39 pm

The longest line at Disney Parks are for small rides and meet & greets. Can you imagine taking your kids to Florida, then having to wait 45 minutes for Dumbo or to meet Tinker Bell? That would be torture, yet thousands of people do it every day. Anything they do to address this is better than everybody waiting in a long queue.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:This kind of thing has already been done in Legoland. What degree of success it has had, I really don't know.

Have we really gotten to the point where people wait over an hour for a meet n' greet? Considering how much being at WDW costs per hour, that makes me cringe a little bit.

Ariel's was the worst with the line somewhere around 2 hours. Outside of getting lucky with meet and greets, all were well over an hour in August.

It has gotten to the point where outside of character's at Animal Kingdom, even the smallest lines ran 15 minutes.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Well if the Queue is right up against the playground and/or goes through it I don't think there will be many issues and I have to assume the play area can only be accsesed via the queue. So unless there is a kid like the ones you see at Chuck-E-Cheese (where when the parent's say its time to go than they fort themselves up in the playground). I think this can and will work.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:13 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... ?track=rss

Walt Disney World is starting to hand out contracts for the Fantasyland expansion it has planned in the Magic Kingdom.

The resort recently signed up Birmingham, Ala.-based Hoar Construction to do site development for the project. The Fantasyland overhaul is expected to take about four years to complete.

Hoar, which has an office in Orlando, has had a number of projects in the region, including Thornton Park Central, a condo-and-retail project downtown; and SoDo, a condo-and-retail project south of downtown. Disney says the Fantasyland construction is scheduled to begin next spring.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:30 pm

RNRC Testing

Last week, we told you about Disney testing a queueless meet-and-greet system in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom in which parents would wait in line while their children played in a playground until it was time for everyone to meet a character.

Now it appears that testing continues this week but on a larger scale, taking place at the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Guests wanting to participate are given cards and invited to wait in a stand by area, rather than a stand by queue.

According to TouringPlans on Twitter, this area includes shade, a DJ, merchandise, and Guitar Hero video games and seems to be aimed at entertaining guests comfortably while they wait to ride. The comparison to how a supermarket deli works still stands, as guests are called by the letter-number combination on their cards.

Guests are not required to wait in the stand-by area but must report to the attraction within five minutes of their group being called or they will lose their chance to ride. The normal stand-by and Fastpass lines are still available during the testing.

Here is some more on the Queue-less system. It's from Orlando Attractions, the link is at the top.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!