TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Kennywood is now fixing the top of the second hill on the phantom. No Chance Morgan though; it appears to be an in-house job.

I'm not sure what to think about that.

Knowing the quality of their in-house work, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it

Hopefully it keeps a bit of the kick, to be honest, i loved how that unintended little bump hurled everyone around before the drop had you out of your seat anyway

Good times

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ You should give the Kennywood workers more credit because they're used to modifying their own rides and I'm sure it will be fine. I'm pretty sure it's whoever they hired to install the track that screwed it up in the first place.

I'm wondering about the Sky Rocket too. I'm sure all this snow isn't helping the progress any. Oh well, it's not like we're not used to delays on openings.

^ You should give the Kennywood workers more credit because they're used to modifying their own rides and I'm sure it will be fine. I'm pretty sure it's whoever they hired to install the track that screwed it up in the first place.

I do give them lots of credit, and I'm sure it will work fine, but it's just gonna look really awkward.

They've needed to paint Phantom for the last two or three years anyway, it looked horrible this summer.

Good gods, they don't even have footers in? I know Kennywood can get things up quick but with this weather we've been having a summer launch is starting to look rather questionable. However I'm glad to see something new going in!

No, the project is completely in house...several people from the maintenance department are the ones working on the project.

And as for Sky Rocket, its several weeks behind, and I wouldn't look forward to it opening anytime before June.

Why is Sky Rocket so far behind? Is it because of the weather?

Even I can't give you that answer...I'm just as oblivious as everyone else. There's a bunch of factors that probably contributed it, but regardless its still several weeks behind schedule.

I've heard that Sky Rocket is as little as 3 days behind, and I've heard that it is several weeks behind. The thing is, the only people that know if it is behind aren't talking about it. You have to remember though that Kennywood never marketed this as being ready for opening day. Everyone assumes opening day, but "Spring 2010" technically lasts until late June. So for all intents and purposes, unless they give us a concrete day and then miss it, or still aren't open by the 3rd week of June, they're on time.

And the late start to construction is not really unexpected. After all, this ride wasn't announced till sometime in August. They had planned to announce it at the ACE meeting, which I think was July 19. From what I understood, the delay really wasn't Kennywood's fault though. Palace was balking at the price tag. I don't know how they settled it, but I heard that Premiere threatened to pull out because of how late into the season it already was.

At this point I'm just speculating, but it's possible that when the coaster was announced, the track may have been designed but the supports were not. Or possibly, once the trees had been cleared, new issues with the soil came up that required fixes. That, and not the weather, could explain the apparent lack of activity. This last paragraph is all speculation though. I really have no idea.