TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

MAJOR NEWS TODAY!

Article from TowersTimes:

Alton Towers have finally revealed the true identity of their new-for-2010 £15million rollercoaster attraction as "Thirteen". The number, which has many connotations of "fear" and "unluckiness", will presumably be used in all marketing henceforth.

Until today, the name has been kept top secret from all but a few management staff at Alton Towers Resort and ride designers, and it has been the subject of intense debate across the international theme park community.

In a press release, Alton Towers have confirmed many rumours which have been speculated over the course of the past 18 months including the theme, an ancient crypt in a dark forest. They claim that guests "will be invited to take a petrifying ride on Thirteen, venturing into the seemingly living and breathing dark forest. There they will face a unknown horror that has been unleashed from the ancient crypt".

The ride will feature a mixture of physical and psychological fear - a "psychoaster", to create an experience that is unique. Some of the technology used on the rollercoaster will be the first of its kind in the world. John Wardley, who is famed for being the driving force behind Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Haunted House and more at Alton Towers along with rides such as Dragon Khan at PortAventura, has said that the ride will "open up a whole new concept for theme park rides". The resort claim that Thirteen is set to cement "Alton Towers Resort's reputation as the No. 1 destination for thrill and fear addicts around the world".

Clearly, with such statements, Alton Towers expect this ride to have a major impact on the appeal of the theme park after 4 seasons of pure family focus - the last thrill investment being Rita - Queen of Speed (which is also set to change for 2010) in 2005. Of course, the off-the-wall marketing wheels are also in motion and the park have stated that the ride will be available to those aged 16-55 and signed a declaration. Clearly, these statements are most unlikely to happen for real.

Thirteen is expected to open at the Alton Towers Resort on March 20th, 2010 and we look forward to bringing you further news as it is received over the next 3 months as we count down to the biggest day at Alton Towers for many years!

So its not a family coaster? I'm so confused. I thought it was called Surrender(I like 13 better) but its so confusing. Does the ride have some backstory or is it getting an area because who the hell are the hooded guys? And what the #### is the new element? Am I the only one who is going to feel somewhat dissapointed if this ride is anything less than amazing?

SW6 has a name and a logo!

Official Website: http://www.altontowers.com/2010/

Press Release:

TH13TEEN

The ultimate rollercoaster, Thirteen, launches on 20th March 2010.

Thirteen will be based on the discovery of an unearthed ancient burial site in an area of unexplored woodland known as the Dark Forest.

Built on the site of the old Corkscrew rollercoaster, visitors will be invited to take a petrifying ride on Thirteen, venturing into the seemingly living and breathing Dark Forest. There they will face an unknown horror that has been unleashed from the ancient crypt.

The ride has been developed with the world's leading coaster and thrill consultants who have collaborated to combine the ultimate elements of physical and psychological fear - to create what experts are dubbing a 'psychoaster'.

Some additional items....

13_2.jpg.1697a2b5cabb3332ea937a72a48c1a02.jpg

Construction Update!

13.jpg.c6b53d83e7d4798859797e0ca9b0c296.jpg

New name and Logo!

^^No because a lot of your fellow nerds and yourself are hyping this up in your minds and the ride will probably never live up to what your mind wants it to be. And it always happens with rides that are "kept in secret" for a long time. Just go through most of the threads on here involving a ride announcement, there's always someone that doesn't like it.

That said, I do like the logo (but it seems there is an imaginary emphasis on "teen" that kinda bugs me) can't wait to hear more details as I'm loving this fad of using more then just the ride itself for an overall better experience.

^ THIBTEEN THE RIDE! is what it looks like to me. Also,this looks less family than I thought, and I did not think it ever looked very family. Does anyone know if the ride goes under ground at all or something like that? Then I would get the crypt theming. Is is possible this could be the smallest megalight? If that were to happen I believe they would come to the US, because Alton is a well known and well liked international theme park. I don't know wht to think as of now but one things for sure,I have neve known less or though more of a new coaster.

The WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE ?!?!?!?!?!?! Ghost