Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:31 pm

I just watched a video on Screamscape (scroll down the page a bit). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the video shows a train pulling back into the loading area with guests aboard. Didn't the trains let you off downstairs and then returned empty to the loading area? If so, then it looks like they changed it.

It's funny to watch videos of most indoor coasters---like Space Mountain. You really can't see anything. But from what I've seen of the queue area, they did a nice job.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Yes, the trains used to empty in one area, amd then returned, empty, to the loading area.

We'll be there the day after Thanksgiving. Hoping to get Christian and Rhiannon on for their first ever rides on Space Mountain! :b

I'm a hammerhead shark!

Postby Jumboshrmp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:59 am

EBL wrote:I just watched a video on Screamscape (scroll down the page a bit). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the video shows a train pulling back into the loading area with guests aboard. Didn't the trains let you off downstairs and then returned empty to the loading area? If so, then it looks like they changed it.

Are you absolutely sure that you weren't just seeing them exit in the downstairs loading area?
I don't think guests have ever been allowed to ride that small lift back up to the first loading station, and even if they did, they'd probably be sitting on it, backed up for a while, waiting for the extra trains to cycle before they could get back to the station.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:21 am

It is possible, if it was in fact the loading station in the video, that they just set that up for a promotional shot. Having the exit station is essential to the ride maintaining its capacity. I don't see how changing that could improve operations at all.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:36 am

^ I watched the video. To me it looks like it was loaded and unloaded exactly the same way it always has been with the exception of the airgates.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby HerBlackWings » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 am

Excellent pics, Bryan's "smaller half".

I was terribly bummed to miss out on the Mountain this past fall.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 pm

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/ ... land-redo/

Walt Disney World is starting to hand out contracts for the Fantasyland expansion it has planned in the Magic Kingdom.
The resort recently signed up Birmingham, Ala.-based Hoar Construction to do site development work for the project. The Fantasyland overhaul is expected to take about four years to complete.
Hoar, which has an office in Orlando, has had a number of projects in the region, including Thornton Park Central, a condo-and-retail project downtown, and SoDo, a condo-and-retail project south of downtown. More about the company here.
Disney says the Fantasyland construction is scheduled to begin this spring.

And so it begins...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 am

http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog ... d-changes/

In Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom this week, a few of Disney’s Imagineers and cast members held a test at Pooh’s Playful Spot, the playground located across from The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh dark ride.

Pooh characters were made available for meet and greets, but new queueing rules were attached. Parents were instructed, via cast members and signs posted around the area, to wait in line to see the characters while their children were allowed to play nearby in the playground. When the parents reached a certain point in the line close to the characters, they were asked to bring over their little ones so they could enjoy the meeting with Winnie the Pooh and his friends.

We received reports of this test being run on Monday and Wednesday, with Tuesday being a day for Disney’s staff to review how the previous day’s test went and make changes for the following. Throughout the tests, Disney has been video recording and surveying guests to get their opinion on how the queueing system worked out for them.

Improving wait times for children wanting to meet their favorite characters sounds like a great idea, but I’m guessing that this test may actually be for something greater. When Disney announced the upcoming Fantasyland expansion at the D23 Expo in September, they revealed that there would be a number of permanent princess meet-and-greet areas throughout the expansion. These will each involve an interactive/play area in addition to the actual character meeting area. In the announcement, Disney also emphasized the fact that the enhanced Dumbo attraction will feature a queue-less waiting system of some sort. The notion of magic feathers being handed out like supermarket deli tickets has been rumored.

So perhaps this week’s tests in Pooh’s playground isn’t all about trying to improve the current state of meet-and-greets but rather a way for Disney to test for the future of Fantasyland’s character meetings and attractions.

I think this is an interesting concept but I can only imagine a parent leaving the queue to find their child running around the new area, only to return past the point of their intended meet and greet time without being able to get back into their place. To me the idea seems a little messy, with some room for error, but if it works, it could make queuing for the family far more enjoyable.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:10 pm

That system seems like it's going to need some adjustments before it is going to work smoothly. It seems fine if there are two adults waiting in line, but if there is only one adult with a kid then I guess they have to completely leave the line and then cut back in? I'm not sure that's really too great of an idea as they're pretty much telling people to leave the line and cut back in. Hopefully Disney will find a way to make this work better.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 pm

It could work out easily enough, just hand the parent something along the lines of a rider switch pass specifically for this "line cutting" method for the specific character they are waiting for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!