TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^The double track is for dual station. It will be single where need be, it is just double for the time being.

^Intamin tape on top of Vekoma wheel. I just moved around a bunch of stuff in my room and found some of my souvenirs from working this summer, the wheel and tape! I was excited, so I shared it here.

What I meant by finished the switch track is that, in my experience with dual station flyers, the switch track has 4 rails instead of two. I don't know what Manta's config is, but Superman's here at SFoG has 4 rails.

I can see that your work is improving... Have you considered architecture for a living? You've got a talent for the modelling.

Squid

What I meant by finished the switch track is that, in my experience with dual station flyers, the switch track has 4 rails instead of two. I don't know what Manta's config is, but Superman's here at SFoG has 4 rails.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. I see four "rails."

Glad to see the styrene is working so well. I would have never thought to bend it. I would have been cutting angles all day!

atem122- You called me a slut so of course you get the Jerry comment! Did you like back stage Viper or something? And I literally had to beg all summer to get that tape.

Squid- I get what you mean with the 4 rails in the switch track. Likely, I won't put the additional rails on for the switch track, since a) It isn't a working switch track and b) you would hardly be able to see them. I am judging that off of the picture I took of Manta below, with the 4 rails.

And to be honest, I haven't considered Architecture. I still burn to own my own theme park, and for that I am sticking with business/economics. With my park though, I plan on having a say in the vision I have for the park. And if that requires me making small models, so be it!

HCLcoasters- Dude, a custom GCI is awesome and I definitely would like to see some pictures of what you have. How large are you talkin'? Thanks, I am glad I can inspire you!

mcjaco- I think what he means with the four rails, is the four actual rails in the switch track. I just have the two rails going from the brake run in to the station, and do not have the extra rails found on the real one for when it goes to the other side of the station. I don't think I am making sense, see the picture below. I made sure I would be able to melt the pieces in to place, cutting takes forever. Fun fact though, if you saw through the spine to quickly, the plastic dust melts and forms really weird shapes on the cuts.

manta.jpg.55586a7e613aafbc8c4f45db308db717.jpg

I think Squid is taking about the actual switch track piece and the four rails that it has. I will not be doing that, no one would see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the IAAPA conference all last week and will be in NYC all this week, so no updates until after thanksgiving. Sorry! Thanks for the interest!

On a better note, I think I am willing to try to make this a working model. I spoke with a chain company about their smallest chain and stuff, and I think it is reasonable to go through with it. I say that because the styrene will be spot on accurate by its very nature, and therefore it should work.

^ You realize the second drop on Sheikra as well as the splash down are not connected to the rest of the ride. Insane is made of wire too thin for any chain. He has no means to launch a rollercoaster in the case of TTD. In other words, no, no other madel will be working unless Jordan has some sort of pro coaster building materials like LIMS, an extremely tiny chain(smaller than mantas) or can somehow connect sheikra.

In all serious this is all awesome, Jordan. You're custom models are amazing!

I was at the IAAPA conference all last week and will be in NYC all this week, so no updates until after thanksgiving. Sorry! Thanks for the interest!

On a better note, I think I am willing to try to make this a working model. I spoke with a chain company about their smallest chain and stuff, and I think it is reasonable to go through with it. I say that because the styrene will be spot on accurate by its very nature, and therefore it should work.

Well...here I go again. First let me say I would love to see this as a working model. That should dispell anyone saying I am being negative.

However, the chain is the least of your worries if you plan on making a working model. It is all about the TRAIN. The train is the single biggest hinderance to creating a model that functions. In order to complete the course with scale-like heights and elements, the train must be amazingly efficient. Bearings are not good enough unless the scale is a little bit larger and the track and support structure can handle the added weight by being extremely rigid. Regular plastic on a metal axle (Knex) is woefully inefficient. While our system (CoasterDynamix) allows good efficiency with light weight, it is nearly impossible to scratchbuild to the level of precision needed. We struggled with this for years. CoasterDynamix was originally designed using ball bearings. Then we found out that the variation in bearings was quite great (when trying to find free-wheeling bearings) so we had to go back to square one. In order to keep the scale appearance, whatever you choose will need to be very small and compact. It is possible to use N gauge or HO train "trucks", but you will compromise scale appearance in the process.

One of the reasons that there are very few working scratchbuilt models is because of these difficulties. The track structure, while challenging, is pretty straightforward using many off-the-shelf modeling supplies. Unfortunately, the trains aren't so simple.

Again, I wish you luck and would be happy to help in any way I can. I have traveled the learning curve many times so I might be able to save you a lot of work. Perhaps along the way we can both learn something.

^^^ and ^^- Ghost has it right in that neither of the previous models will be converted to a working model. Not because they couldn't (cause in theory they can), but because there are too many inaccuracies. For example, Insane is too close to itself from the drop off the MCBR and the final brake run. I wish, but it won't happen.

^I appreciate your help, and will use your models as inspiration. Like you said, the issue will be maintaining the right scale while still having it work. I believe your models are in the HO scale, while mine are much smaller. If they were the same, I would use the lift hill parts from yours and just convert a train. However, it is smaller and therefore I will have to build my own trains. I haven't started on the lift hill yet, so I have time before I have to make a decision, but it will be a big decision to make, so it has to be a wise one. I will keep you posted, all of you, on the development of this coaster.

• 2 weeks later...

2am Friday- Quick Update!

The lift hill has been topped off! The lift hill is still missing almost all its supports, which is why this is a quick update, so check back tomorrow...er today...to check out the finished lift hill. Plans were to have it done by tonight, but my glue didn't dry as quickly as I had hoped.

Edit: Oh Yeah! The first picture below, the transfer track looks super bent or not even or something, don't worry! It still looks really great through that section, I just happened to hold the heat gun in one spot to long and the spine shrunk just a little!

Fun Fact of the Night #1- The styrene glue I am using literally melts the two pieces together. I was just messing around and glued two pieces together, and then took them apart about half way through the drying process, and there was a big, slimy hole in one of the pieces. Dirty stuff.

Fun Fact of the Night #2- If you saw too quickly through the solid spine piece of the track, you actually melt the "sawdust" (which is actually plastic, but work with me) and it instantly dries to create really REALLY weird shapes inside the cut.

108_1450.JPG.5a39433a978e66bfcd4c5ed7599b76ff.JPG

Viola!

108_1449.JPG.398e05bccfa701b0044852476f1134f9.JPG

Want to know what happens when the glue drys slowly and you get impatient of not moving? You improvise.

mastersax- I'm glad you are following! Did you see all the other pages, there are 3 other models buried in them.

hyyyyyper-It may have appeared steep in the other pictures, maybe theese complete ones will look more accurate. In defense though, both Manta and Tatsu have vicious lift hills. From the lie position in the station, you are literally sitting normally on the lift hills. They are steep in real life, I believe in the 45 degree range.

Miley cyrus- Thanks!

HCLcoasters-I agree with you. But if you recall, I purchased all these parts for Riddlers and then switched to Manta. So unfortunately I have to work with what I get, since I spent so much money, and these are just a little big. I think once the coaster is all said and done, it won't be so noticeable. Bummer though right!

thrillrideseeker- You would! Thanks though.

Well, its official, the lift hill is topped off! It stands roughly 1 foot tall! I know that it is kind of random, but it is a 1:145 scale.

At this point, I will be calling the lift hill complete and will be moving on with the rest of the track. I know that it is missing the evac elevator, but I consider that a decorational thing, so it will be one of the last things that I put in. This is the week before finals, so it will be put on hold until next wednesday. Due to my position in the university, I will be on campus with nothing to do until next friday, which should hopefully give me enough time to get, say, the first drop done? No promises though!

On a sadder note, this won't be a working model. I know that I should stop talking (my model choice, working vs static, etc), but I did speak with the chain company and found out that they do not have a chain even close to as small as I need. I would go with a coasterdynamix system, however they run in O(1:48) and HO (1:87) scales, so about twice the size of my model. Sorry.

Please enjoy what I have so far!

108_1464.JPG.4b09b3dcee15c55673b164a5e93c2375.JPG

Until next time!

108_1461.JPG.0a0426d95eac80adb3891f64bb82460c.JPG

If you go to the main forum page, there is a photo TR of seaworld. I swear this picture is in there too.

108_1460.JPG.e40e335b8662d6cf7edfb796e590844f.JPG

Eventually the almost MCBR will be in this picture.

108_1457.JPG.d65736b772d3497d7bc9228f3c65385d.JPG

Station, switch track, and the start of the lift!

108_1454.JPG.0dc3934e14b2ad1d9380603cd99fc782.JPG

There she is!