TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Getting a celebrity for a security counselor? Of course it's a publicity stunt!

But... A six figure salary?! Isn't that a little bit too much? Or am I misunderstanding something?

I think Alton might be making too big of a buildup... Eventually it will end up being just some kind of fancy new switch track or whatever, and we'll all go "that's what it was all about?!"

We had this discussion over at TowersTimes. On first quick read through it appears to say 6 figure salary but read more carefully and inspected it says equivalent to (or words to that effect) 6 figure salary. For all we know he could be getting paid in carrots or guinea pigs.

Not quite. Id assume they're paying a 6 figure salary but only for the length of the project. If he works for 3 months he gets paid £25,000. That kind of deal.

And what exactly is the Winjas effect?

Hmm... how to describe it without giving anything away. Winjas is a dueling indoor spinning coaster at Phantasia land in Germany. The coaster has surprise elements which cannot be seen by simply watching it. You have to ride it to find out what they are. To tell anyone what it does is to ruin the surprises of one of the best spinning coasters in the world.

You could probably find out what it does doing a google search, but everyone on the Theme Park Review Boards who has experienced Winjas likes to keep its surprise elements a secret for those who have yet to ride it.

@Flipdude: It's a tire driven lift hill. No flywheel. And the ride starts by going into a left hand turn out of the station, no launch and no backwards cars.

@Anyone suggesting alternate endings: No. There are no alternate endings, only badly drawn plans.

However the ride does go backwards for part of it towards the end.

Either these trains are light as anything, or the force on these turns is going to be pathetic, because the lateral bracing on those turns looks like it will buckle with the lightest touch,

Probably the former because of the drop track, but still...

^It may not look anything special, but that's the beauty of the whole thing. They are keeping the secret under such tight wraps that this far into construction, still nobody can figure it out what make sit so special. Don't you see, this is exactly what they are trying to do.

^Right. This is a secret weapon after all...

^^I mean, I wouldn't call it a family coaster just based on those pictures, it really could turn out to be something exciting.

However, I will agree with you, and everyone else, in that it is not going to be a huge coaster. If you look at Jet Rescue at Sea World in Australia, that is the Intamin 2 bar style track, and IMO that looks pretty fun.

Two bar style, Intamin tire accelerator. Looks fun.

^It may not look anything special, but that's the beauty of the whole thing. They are keeping the secret under such tight wraps that this far into construction, still nobody can figure it out what make sit so special. Don't you see, this is exactly what they are trying to do.

Rollercoaster - > travels forward into the second story of a building -> magic -> travels backward into a helix -> train stops -> travels forward into the station.

I'm guessing it's some form of witchcraft involving a descending piece of horizonal track followed by some kicker wheels.

Rollercoaster - > travels forward into the second story of a building -> magic -> travels backward into a helix -> train stops -> travels forward into the station.

I'm guessing it's some form of witchcraft involving a descending piece of horizonal track followed by some kicker wheels.

Could it be a backwards tilt coaster where the rear of the tilt track drops less than 90 degrees as opposed to the front? If the tilt piece of track was long enough to allow the train to start rolling backwards before connecting to the lower track that would definitely add some terror to the ride.

^I mean, that would definitely be pretty awesome to roll back without being connected but I just see that going wrong. B&M could design that, and it would still be a nightmare, now put Intamin in and...just playing. I love Intamin.

Lets say the power goes out mid roll, and then the turntable stops, what happens then?

Also, you're rolling backwards, so you wouldn't even be able to see the not-connection. Cool idea though!