TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

From Amusement Today:

[

The Big Bad Wolf Lives Again!

Future exhibit dedicated to the design and development of the innovative ride will be developed (Nov 19, 2009) –Who’s afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

The National Roller Coaster Museum is hopeful, thanks to a generous donation by the management team of Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, future generations will learn what it was like to “travel at the speed of fright.”

The museum will take possession of an original train, track section, sign package and accompanying support materials for the NRCMA permanent collection. “This is an incredible addition to the Museum collection,” Gary Slade, NRCMA Board Chairman said. “When the ride closed on September 7, 2009, it was the oldest operating suspended coaster – and certainly one of the best. We want to thank the leadership team at Busch Gardens Europe for their gift.”

The Big Bad Wolf was originally added to Busch Gardens’ Oktoberfest section of the park in 1984. The project was originally a Schwarzkopf designed flying coaster but after 75 percent completion, the project was turned over to Arrow Dynamics. The “suspended swinging coaster” operated until Sept. 7, 2009 when contest winners rode The Big Bad Wolf for the last time at 8:42 p.m.

“We’re honored that the NRCMA wants to add The Big Bad Wolf to their collection,” said John Reilly, Busch Gardens’ general manager. “It entertained millions of our guests over the years and now will now serve as a reminder for future generations of what the ride meant to the history of the industry.”

“The Big Bad Wolf is historically significant in the industry because of its place in the lineage of steel rollercoaster design,” Richard Munch, American Coaster Enthusiasts founder and NRCMA historian said.

I hope that the museum can provide a good home for this important piece of BGW's history--I wish them well.

Waitaminute... a Schwarzkopf flying coaster? Could they have dusted off some old plans and are having B&M build a new version of that ride?

Not to mention the mysterious track that's been lying around the B&M plant for some time.

Squid

^Hmm--doubtful.

The old story was that Arrow built BBW based on a Schwartzkopf design, but it's a bit murky. This story has been kicking around for some time (RCDB lists only Arrow Dynamics as the ride's builder).

Schwartzkopf had developed some sort of "flying coaster," but never got the chance to finish it (it may have been meant for Busch Gardens).

I'll bow to those who are better at coaster history than me.

Mainly what happened is that Schwarzkopf designed Big Bad Wolf, poured the footers, provided some supports, and went bankrupt. Then Arrow had to find a way to design it to fit the supports and footers.

Schwarzkopf Alpenflug was the name of the model it was supposed to be, and if I'm correct Schwarzkopf called it a "Flying" coaster not a Suspended coaster.

Okay, that makes sense. It's still a huge shame that BBW is coming down. The wife and I really love that coaster! It's nice to see that part of that coaster will be preserved, but to me it just doesn't compare to riding it again and again.

Squid

Here's something that I found interesting- from Schwartzkopf.Coaster.net

http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ESflugbahnGF.htm

This site, BTW, is one of the -finest- repositories for anything from Herr Achterbahn's life. Some of the pictures and models are amazing to see- and this might explain some of the different types of attractions- including the 'Flying' Coaster (Aptly named when you see the pictures).

R.D.

This could be very good all around. The coaster museum gets a major coaster display/shot in the arm, and the Wolf gets a new honored place in history. This was a good move on BGE's part.

Dorkiness kicking in here, I hope that part of the display shows where the section of track comes from. Doubtful, but it just adds something.

Hey, I'm glad to see the coaster museum rolling forward. That's good news too.

A little blurb in from BGW:

More than 60 miles of holiday lights, 900 candles and 600 Christmas trees are ready to light up in two days for Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration. The start of this event may be the perfect way for guests to end their hectic Black Friday on Nov. 27.

Christmas Town visitors will find that Busch Gardens is a place for them to slow down, have fun and spend time with their family and friends. They will experience the park in a whole new light with all-new attractions, dazzling shows and one-of-a-kind gift ideas that will make everyone say, “Now this is Christmas.”

“We can’t wait to debut Christmas Town,” said John Reilly, general manager and executive vice president of Busch Gardens. “It’s a project we’ve been planning for years, and the moment is almost here.”

Christmas Town debuts on Black Friday, which is considered the busiest shopping day of the year. After such a hectic day, guests can unwind at Christmas Town and let the magic of a million twinkling lights and the aroma of fresh-baked cookies wash the day’s stress away. Where else can guests combine heart-warming Christmas shows, dazzling light displays and feel-good food and drinks with their shopping?

I'm really looking forward to some Trip Reports from this!

--Robb

Been reading reports about the event, and mostly are all good. Biggest complaints are that when the sun goes down and the temp drops, none of the coasters are open. Supposedly last night it was so busy they opened up parts of Italy and Festa.

Wolf is all but gone. Only parts of the lift hills seem to remain. I'd post a link to Behind the Thrills who has a few pics of it, but my old account is MIA..so...restart here. But it's on the front page of their site.

Kind of shocking to see where it used to stand...can't really tell it was ever there.

^Hey I live in Florida...so the time I get my info its all a mess. I had a few friends at the event til close and they said that no coasters were running, while they were under the impression that Griffon, Alpie and LNM would be up...so, you can see their confusion.

Wow, not only do they remove it but they rip it to pieces like it's some Togo from the eighties. I know it makes no sense to take it down nicely but I feel like I am watching one of my own pets from my childhood get put down with a chainsaw. Seriously, this can't be worth it. Blackstone better get something Universal quality into that location because I feel that not even another great B&M machine can make me forget these pictures.

http://www.buschgardensnews.com/WebObjects/BuschGardensNews.woa/Contents/WebServerResources/CMSResources/New_hours_for_Christmas_Town.pdf

CHRISTMAS COMES EARLY TO CHRISTMAS TOWN

Busch Gardens extends its hours for this highly anticipated event

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (Nov. 23, 2009) – Park officials today announced they are

extending its daily operating hours of Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

Christmas Town will now be open from 3 - 10 p.m., which is a two-hour extension to

each day. During Christmas Eve the park will be open from 3 – 9 p.m. closing one hour

early.

“Our park’s big addition is getting even bigger,” said John Reilly, executive vice

president and general manager of Busch Gardens. “Christmas Town is a highly

anticipated event and we want to give everyone enough time to experience the sights,

sounds and scents of the season.”

Christmas Town opens at Busch Gardens on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

from 3 - 10 p.m. beginning Nov. 27. The park will open each evening Dec. 18 - 27,

excluding Christmas Day. Some sections of the park will remain closed for the season,

and some rides and attractions are weather dependent.

Christmas Town admission tickets are available for $19.95. Guests with active

Busch Gardens passes save 50 percent on Christmas Town tickets as well as free

parking and in-park discounts.

Event details are available on the new Christmas Town Web site at

www.christmastown.com.

The park has also released official video and photos from the event.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=XmasTownOpen_qm4k[/coastertube]

BM1127SX01_010H.jpg.4a3fde61f9914f0f280b7724b88db2b9.jpg

Please note that all of the above captions were quoted from the press photos...

BM1127SX01_009H.thumb.jpg.5f7711b0df2625d45b7950ce1ec1dd86.jpg

A 45-foot Christmas tree lights up the Germany section of Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_008H.jpg.68ba5471704210b1d651d339f8c2f495.jpg

Another canopy of stars hangs over head as guest walk through Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_007H.jpg.962acb617513ffcd761328ea4b17ba72.jpg

A canopy of stars hangs over head as guest walk through Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_006H.thumb.jpg.39aefefa766ee7d5f5dec917cc708eab.jpg

Carolers sing to the crowd at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_005H.jpg.59edabff2ce5e54ad377a2a806a983f4.jpg

Guests enter Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration for the first time. Throughout the theme park, more than a million twinkling lights were used to decorate the holiday-themed event which debuted Friday, Nov. 27 at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va.

BM1127SX01_004H.thumb.jpg.5031d37ac7399a3b9694d5d20f359a51.jpg

Decorations like toy elves turn a theme park into Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_003H.jpg.217d3dd2e6b0e1fd74f6b559777aad92.jpg

Lollipops and many other sweet treats can be found at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_002H.jpg.7e2e1a85a660d1079f1b84e266c83462.jpg

Performers of Rejoice! sing to the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.

BM1127SX01_001H.jpg.da3bae36c2f1916177802aff50e65cf9.jpg

Santa Claus waits for the next child to join him at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration.