Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby haux » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 am

Can we change the sub header for this subject from "They are resurrecting a classic ride!" to "Opening fall 2013"?
I am out of ideas for what to write in this signature box.

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:54 pm

haux wrote:Can we change the sub header for this subject from "They are resurrecting a classic ride!" to "Opening fall 2013"?

Seriously. The ride itself will become a classic ride by the time it opens.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:25 pm

Ccron10 wrote:I'm at the point at emailing the park and seeing what is holding them up and what they still need to complete.

Don't do this. Seriously. This is the last thing the park needs is to hear from some random person they don't know asking them "what's holding it up" as though they don't already know.

Here's a thought...I'll bet the ride might get open faster if they didn't have to answer some pointless emails.

--Robb

I'm a culture ho

Postby Noxegon » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 pm

netdvn wrote:^ Nope! The ride is still standing and still under construction... Sad because it actually looks like a really fun ride. Especially going that turn going over the cliff...

(Orphan Rocker)

Standing, yes - under construction, no - I had a look at this while I was in Australia, and it's rusted beyond belief in certain areas, with the "car" (if you can call it that, it didn't have a seat) looking in a particularly bad way.

I reckon it's a safe bet that this ride will NEVER open now. Shame :(

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby rgb60 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Dick mentioned that Mike Boodley had been involved with the Turns for the last 6 months or so. I wonder if the changes to the brake run and final lift were based on his input. I don't know whether his involvement includes design of the cars.

I'm as disappointed as the next person that this ride hasn't opened yet, but just a reminder to the "kids" in here: Parks owe you nothing beyond the usual business transactions. You give them money, they'll let you go on rides, play a game, eat a hot dog. They'll keep the place generally clean and safe. Most will even let you rent a parking space for the whole time you're there.

They're not required to provide you with a new multi-million dollar coaster every year, record breaking this or record breaking that, and they're certainly not obligated to tell you when ride X will be open, or why it isn't open on such and such date. Do you think Knoebels is deliberately not opening this ride just to tick you off? Don't you think they're as frustrated, if not more, than you are that the ride isn't open yet? They're the ones not making money off the investment. What are you losing? A credit?

They probably didn't realize up front how difficult it would be to bring the ride up to modern construction and safety standards without sacrificing the original ride quality. Actually, wasn't one of the problems with a previous version of the cars that the ride was too wild and random?

Here's my personal totally unofficial explanation for why the ride isn't open: American fat asses weigh a lot more than they did when the original FT's were open in the 1930s. They have to figure out a way to haul 400-500 extra lbs down the course without the train flipping over or jumping out of the trough. ;) *Disclaimer: The previous opinion may not be shared by Knoebels Grove or the owners of this website.*

Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

Postby RCoasterny » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 am

Knoebels has posted pictures on their facebook page of the new Flying Turns chassis. It looks quite heavy duty!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=lo ... 7828210550

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 am

Wow!

Much more professional-looking than the prototypes, but I wonder how such a heavy thing is going to treat the track? Hopefully the wheels are soft.

Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

NEWS: Barbara Knoebel passes away

Postby RCoasterny » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:29 am

I heard over at rrc:

Barbara Knoebel passed away Friday afternoon (Nov. 27th)

Tentative services are scheduled at Elysburg Presbyterian Church on Friday evening (12/4) with a viewing and a service Saturday (12/5) at 11:00. There will be a viewing prior to the service.

In lieu of flowers, Barbara requested that donations to be made in her name to Give Kids the World.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:59 pm.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:19 pm

This is really sad news...may she rest in peace.

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:33 pm

My thoughts go out to her husband, Dick and everyone else in the Knoebels family which includes the employees. Barbara was a sweetheart and will be missed. At least she isn't suffering anymore.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!