TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Just found this on rcdb. Can anyone find this elsewhere on the interwebs?

Alton Towers Resort is taking no chances with its new ride and has brought in celebrity security expert Tony Adkins, formerly seen on Xfactor to join the team on project 'Secret Weapon 6'.

Mr Adkins a.k.a "Big Tony" has previously spent seven years as a professional bodyguard, most recently to the XFactor's Simon Cowell, and has also worked for Princess Anne, Iron Maiden and Boy George. Mr Adkins will act as a security consultant to the park on the equivalent of a six-figure salary directing and providing advice to the in-house security team.

The estimated £15 million rollercoaster, scheduled for launch in March 2010 is set to be a world first, with a never-before-seen feature that bosses hope will attract crowds to the Resort. Interest in the ride from fans is so intense that theme park bosses felt it necessary to appoint somebody who has experience of dealing with aggressive fans.

Morwenna Angove, Sales and Marketing Director at the Alton Towers Resort says: "There is a die-hard fan base out there dedicated to the discovery of information about the new ride and the Resort is desperately trying to keep it under wraps. We're pleased to announce the appointment of Tony, whose previous experience of working in a celebrity environment will stand him in good stead to deal with our superfans."

Tony Adkins, head of security at Alton Towers Resort commented: "I have looked after celebrities and even a member of the Royal Family, but this has to be one of my most interesting assignments yet. I've heard a lot of things and I'm hoping that the fans aren't as scary as Simon Cowell!"

This means the coaster is really going to be awesome.

Bad news for us though

As others have said, it probably is a PR stunt. I also think it could be part of the theme. On the other hand, how public was this announcement? If the mainstream media knew about it, then that affirms my idea, but if nobody but enthusiasts really know, then perhaps they are serious.

Getting a celebrity for a security counselor? Of course it's a publicity stunt!

But... A six figure salary?! Isn't that a little bit too much? Or am I misunderstanding something?

I think Alton might be making too big of a buildup... Eventually it will end up being just some kind of fancy new switch track or whatever, and we'll all go "that's what it was all about?!"

I think Alton might be making too big of a buildup... Eventually it will end up being just some kind of fancy new switch track or whatever, and we'll all go "that's what it was all about?!"

But the thing is, even if it is that, the publicity stunt will have worked, they will have huge gate figures, make a ton of money and have a brand new ride that people will still enjoy. Whatever way you look at it, this ride will generate a huge amount of revenue for the park.

-Craig

But 15 million pounds, if that is correct, is a huge capital outlay. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is exactly but that is more than the cost of Intimidator 305. Return on investment may take a while.

Here's hoping it will be something mind blowing though I'm not sure how.

$23,827,500 is the conversion at the current rate, but you have to think the £15 million will not just be for the ride and hardware, it will be for theming ground work, general contractors etc.

I wouldn't expect the park to make a significant return on their investment in year one, but over a period of say 5 years they should make a very very nice return on that investment.

^That seems logical given they possibly have to excavate significantly because of the height restrictions as well. I love how that height restriction led to Nemesis being arguably the best invert in the world.

ROI 5 years that's about what I would expect. It will be interesting to see the changes in crowds at KD when i305 starts operating, now that one could be significant.

I'm dying to see the layout for this one, it could be fun.

If the real ride track is going to have that layout, the theming for this coaster must be pretty extensive. I can't imagine that the coaster track, even with a moderate amount of theming, would have that large of a price tag. I'm looking forward to see what's going to be inside that building.

Getting a celebrity for a security counselor? Of course it's a publicity stunt!

But... A six figure salary?! Isn't that a little bit too much? Or am I misunderstanding something?

We had this discussion over at TowersTimes. On first quick read through it appears to say 6 figure salary but read more carefully and inspected it says equivalent to (or words to that effect) 6 figure salary. For all we know he could be getting paid in carrots or guinea pigs.

Am I the only one who thinks for the first time Alton Towers are taking Secret Weapon literally, calling in the SAS to stake out the ride while it is in operation and taking out a ride on each turn and the last person alive at the end of the ride is the person who survived the "Ride Into The Unknown"

-Craig "That would be a much better idea for Saw: The Ride" Knight