Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby PointeBreak » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 am

Hey, if it comes as far as the Gold Coast, that's good enough for Australians! :) It would be really great if it was located along the beachfront of Surfers Paradise.

You DO have Luna Park. Ok, that's not going to be as good as an Astroland/Cyclone combo but the GC is a logical spot for a boardwalk park and we don't have one of those yet.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 am

^Luna Park Sydney is very desolate, not much there. It used to be fun before the ghost train fire, I only went a few times as a little kid but I have vivid memories.

It would be nice to add Coney Islands rides at Luna Park Sydney but that place is ruled by developers waiting for the state government to cave in and let them build high rises.

Site Admin

Coney Island (Luna Park) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:56 pm

After a year of ultimatums, threats and stop-and-go negotiations, the Bloomberg administration has agreed to pay $95.6 million to a developer for seven acres in the heart of Coney Island, in a crucial step forward for its vision of turning the faded and dormant seaside amusement district into a glittering destination reminiscent of its heyday, according to executives on both sides of the negotiations.

The city’s deal with the developer, Joseph J. Sitt, capped a long standoff between the two sides, with each claiming it had the best plan for the revival of the fabled playground, but neither able to bring those plans to fruition in a deadly real estate market.

The city will announce the deal on Thursday, but the reality of a revived Coney Island remains a long way off.

Mr. Sitt began buying land in Coney Island in 2005, promising a modern, Las Vegas-style resort with hotels and condominiums among the rides. Today, much of the land sits vacant. While the Cyclone roller coaster, the Wonder Wheel and Nathan’s hot dog stand remain, the Thunderbolt, Child’s restaurant and even the Astroland amusement park are gone — cleared away for new ventures that were never built.

More if you click the link to the article above.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:50 pm.

Knows where his bowel is

Postby HEADCHEEZ » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:58 pm

I think I speak for everyone when I say...

FINALLY!! :br

Last coaster I rode= Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City - 7/26/2017

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby The Disneylander » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:11 pm

I'll believe it when I see some groundbreaking.

The Coney Island fiasco has gone on a bit too long for me to rely on things like this to stoke my hope, but maybe this will prove me wrong.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Sounds interesting, and hopefully the development finally gets built. Although with how long it has taken to get here, I'm sure that if the project does end up getting built, that it will go through several more changes. That being said, I still have my doubts that this project will ever be completed.

TPR's Hairstylist to the Stars!

Postby piers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:15 pm

This is good news, it is a place I have always wanted to visit/get mugged at.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Mike Bloomberg rocks!
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Swiminn6 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 pm

I remember a long long time ago reading about this and looking it up on google and it looked amazing. Here is what I found that was envisioned for the park.

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm

I hope this does go into effect. I enjoyed my few visits to Coney Island & think the place could some new life!
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!