The Disney Cruise Line (DCL) Discussion Thread

P. 20: Fall 2019 Itineraries announced! Booking starts 5/24!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby exmouse » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:13 am

Not quite sure what little tune you mean. Each area of the ship has different background music. It use to be a case that each area had a dedicated CD player that would loop. So you'd only hear the same song every hour or so and that's assuming you didn't move around the ship.

I know when I went back in 2005 the music in some areas had been updated. Studio Sea had lost the god awful compilation of old TV theme tunes (Brady Bunch, Mister Ed etc.) and had more contemporary music. The Atrium, Buena Vista Theatre and Walt Disney Theatre were the only places you'd hear endless Disney tunes.

One of the biggest frustrations when I went back was seeing lots of theme effects either broken or not being used. One of the reasons is over the years they'd been forgotten about and the information hadn't been passed down.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby vistaway » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:48 am

Hey exmouse, you must have a ton of great stories! Our paths might have crossed at some point - I was part of opening crew for the Wonder and joined the ship in Venice in May of 99 while she was being finished. Days of cleaning and unpacking the dining rooms, followed by evenings of riding the buses into Venice (for free, of course :)), and cheap Peroni under the stars (being eaten alive by mossies).

One of my favourite places on the ship was the server room behind Animators (next to the always-dirty toilet). The stacks of laserdisc players, servers, amps, etc that hummed away producing the show next door - that was pretty cool.

I loved to start the Animators finale late at night when the dining room was empty. Seeing the show by yourself or with a few friends...too unreal. I played it for a few guests who missed it on occasion and it nearly brought them to tears.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby exmouse » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:19 am

Those LCD players (why didn't they go for DVDs?) were a nightmare and part of my responsibity as an entertainment technician. At least once a week I'd have to go and reset them in the middle of a meal/show.
Were you onboard the night of the power failure when we were minutes away from having to evacuate the ship? Due to leaving late we tried to make up time but over laoded the generators and they all failed. In Wavebands some of the Frequent Sea played accapella to entertain the guests. We moved osme of the emergency lighting to create some spot lights. Or the night one of the deck hands had a go at steering and did the equivalent of a hand break turn. Bottles fell of shelves in the bars, people fell over etc. I was training a guy to do Mickey Mania in Stuido Sea when his chair start rolling through the tech booth. I had to grab hold of him and hold myself up at the same time. Or how about how the ship smelt of puke and orange freshner during Hurricane Floyd. The crew beach on Castaway never did look as good after Floyd.
Those were the good old days.

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Postby Not For Sale » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Disney Cruise Line's Newest Ship - Disney Dream

With the construction of their newest ship, the Disney Dream, under way, Disney Cruise Line is literally building a Dream. Today in New York City, Disney Cruise Line held an event that allowed attendees to explore some of the signature elements from the Disney Dream.

We are all looking forward to innovations like:

*First of a kind watercoaster! A high speed thrill ride called, The AquaDuck! Riders zip through a see through tube that curves out over the side of the ship giving riders a view of the ocean 150 feet below!!!!!!

*2 new restaurants-The Royal Palace, a tribute to the Disney princess stories & The Enchanted Garden which transforms from day to night!

*A re-imagination of Animators Palette.

*Parents can escape on the perfect date night at the Dream's Skyline Bar that has views of the world's most famous cities!

*Virtual Portholes in the ship's interior cabins let guests have "views" of the ocean using digital technology. That's right, a TV instead of a window, and it'll occasionally show a character popping up, like Mickey or the starfish from Finding Nemo.

*Interactive experiences for the kids, Disney-style. Kids will be able to interact with Crush, the animated turtle from "Finding Nemo," via a cinema-size plasma screen, and experience what it is like to be "toy size" in Andy's Room, a larger-than-life replica of the "Toy Story" set. There will also be a play area called Monsters Academy, visited regularly by Mike, the lovable green guy from "Monsters Inc."

Inaugural sailing - January 26, 2011
Starting January 30, 2011, The Disney Dream will alternate between 3 and 4-Night sailings and Disney Cruise Line will alternate between 4 Night Sailings and & 5-Night sailings with 2 stops in Castaway Cay the summer of 2011.

Read from the experts, and watch the video. It has a lot of concept art and cool stuff not talked about on the post.
disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/presenting-the-disney-dream/

On a sidenote, they're doing a rebroadcasting (I think) of the live webcast where they announced all of this at 5:45 EST on www.disneycruiselineevents.com/disneydream/
PortholeSMALL.jpg
Most of the time you will see what is truly going on outside the ship, but from time to time different Disney characters will pay your cabin a visit through the 'interactive porthole'.
DuckSlideSMALL.jpg
A watercoaster on a ship! World's first! At 765ft long, very respectable too! Oh, and clear tube so you can see out!
disneydream1.jpg
A mock up of what it will look like when you first 'take the plunge' on the Duck!
disneydream2.jpg
Just one of the AMAZING themed kids areas on the ship. Truly this ship is geared to children and it gives them a once in a lifetime experience to be part of the Disney films.
disneydream3.jpg
Don't worry adults, there's stuff for you too! Including this bar, where the 'windows' change to show you different famous skylines from around the world.
disneydream4.jpg
Ok, I'm scared already! The booths you see here in this fairytale themed restaurant actually rotate! Not for use as a teacup (sorry Robb!) but so that you can face different guests if you'd like!
disneydream5.jpg
And an overview on this beautiful new ship coming out early 2011! Bookings open up November 9, 2009!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:49 pm

So excited!

Can't wait to see what else they have in store for the new ships! Although the pricing is going to be very scary. The 10+ year old Disney ships still get a giant premium over the other lines, I can't imagine how expensive these new ones will be!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

A water coaster on a cruise ship? Color me impressed.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby coasterfan21 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Wow this ship looks great. I have always thought that the Disney Cruise Line was just lacking that wow factor in their ships, but this ship just looks like it is what the doctor ordered. The water coaster looks amazing, and I am looking forward to seeing what else this ship has to offer.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Swiminn6 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Oh my gosh! This will be a must "go on" once built!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Keep in mind the ship really won't (and shouldn't) appeal to teenage boys.

On the other hand I was showing KT the renderings of the Kids Club which has four different rooms: Andy's Room, Laugh Floor, Nemo, Pixie Hollow, and she was very impressed and asked to go right now.

I went on the Disney Magic when I was 19 and even though I love Disney, it was not for that age group at all. It really is more for families or HARD CORE disney fans.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby coasterfan21 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:15 pm

^true, I agree with you 100% because Disney is definitely a family company, but it is nice to see something that someone my age would enjoy, as well as the whole family.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!