Photo TR of four Australian Parks

Two Luna Parks, Dreamworld, and Movie World
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Photo TR of four Australian Parks

Postby capnkyle1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:47 am

Hello out there, my name is Kyle and I am an amusement park nut and long time reader (first time poster) of Theme Park Review.

My wife Kirsten and I decided that Australia would be a nice place for a honeymoon so we made our plans for the end of August and the beginning of September and of course factored in some time to experience some of Australia's topsy turvy action.

So that's the preamble.

Luna Park Melbourne is located in the suburb/neighborhood of St. Kilda and is about a 20 minute train ride from downtown Melbourne. You can either take the train to the nearest station about a half mile away and an easy walk to the park or the St. Kilda tram which drops you off right in front. We opted for the train so that we could see more of the neighborhood which ended up being pretty cool. The park entrance sits dramatically on the corner of several major roads and is completely encircled by the Scenic Railway.

The park is a touch on the pricey side as were all the Australian parks we went to with individual rides costing $8.50 and an unlimited ride pass going for $40. We bought three tickets, two for both of us to ride the Scenic Railway and one for me to ride Metropolis - their other adult roller coaster. I was also eyeing the Ghost Train ride but did not end up riding it.

As soon as we got in line for Scenic Railway it went down and then shortly after that but unrelated to that fact it began to rain. So we hunkered down in the covered queue to wait out the storm and after about 45 minutes the storm passed and the mechanics fixed whatever was wrong with the coaster.

This was our first experience with a roller coaster with a riding brakeman so naturally we opted for the seat in the middle of the train where all that braking action was happening. We wanted to chat with him and he said a few things to us but we did not actually converse since there were signs everywhere sternly warning us that talking to the operator was a big no-no. He did apologize to us when he hit the brake a little too hard on the second to last turn and we crawled through the last portion of the course.

The ride itself was a lot of fun with great views of downtown Melbourne and the harbor and there was some airtime to be had too although if you're tall and/or big you will not be able to fit. I'm 6' even and I had to do some contorting of my legs and scrunching of my butt to fit and my knees took a lot of abuse.

Metropolis was a standard SDC Galaxy with the great first two drops and the double helices. I really liked the name though for some reason. The rest of the park was similar to other seaside parks like Coney Island or places on the Jersey shore although it was all contained by the Scenic Railway.

I believe we spent all of an hour and a half here before wandering around St. Kilda for dinner and beer. Picture time!
5.jpg
I spy a roller coaster!
6.jpg
To enter Luna Park you have to survive the ordeal of being devoured by the giant Moon Man.
1.jpg
This is what it looks like in the stomach of the Giant Moon Man.
8.jpg
Clang Clang goes the trolley in the Giant Moon Man's stomach. Next stop, Duodenum Station!
3.jpg
Ahhh, the big reason I'm here. Why are you here? Are you here for the same reason I'm here? Do you want to be friends?
9.jpg
Fun with murals and old fashioned trains not found in America!
21.jpg
The first turn on the Scenic Railway. There is an excellent view of downtown Melbourne from up here.
19.jpg
The second and fifth turns on Scenic Railway. The roller coaster surrounds the park like the lining of the Giant Moon Man's stomach.
22.jpg
The third and sixth turn on Scenic Railway. The view of the harbor from here is quite. . . scenic.
24.jpg
How scandalous! Avert your eyes!
10.jpg
Well that was fun and exciting and scenic! What else do we have here?
7.jpg
Well they have this little contraption.
11.jpg
There are bumper cars with a fancy cityscape behind them.
12.jpg
There is the Ghost Train to appease your ghostly wants. I declined to ride this and that was silly of me.
23.jpg
Yes, in order to ride the Ghost Train you must devoured AGAIN! These are the rules and they're for your own good!
20.jpg
Spiderhead, Spiderhead, does whatever a spiderhead does.
18.jpg
They also have Metropolis, which is where Superman works.
16.jpg
Hi , my name is Kyle and this is my first trip report! If you think it's good, thank you! If you think it's bad, well then you should see the pants I bought last weekend!
17.jpg
Unlike other swirling actions in Australia, this one goes in the more familiar direction.
15.jpg
As you can see, I have my awesome Eddie Bauer backpack on! I have had that backpack for 15 years! It got me through high school and college! Its name is Clarence.
2.jpg
Number 210! Yay me!
13.jpg
Their carousel was very attractive and slightly out of focus.
14.jpg
As was their ferris wheel with paratrooper gondolas.
4.jpg
And with that, we were spat back out into St. Kilda, gooey and giddy from our first antipodean amusement park adventure. Stay tuned for parts two, three, and four!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Is it me, or are all of the arms on that spider lowered at the same time?

It looks like an Eyerly, but you can only load two arms (4 tubs) at one time on the spiders... unless this is a in-house modification.

That ferris wheel is neat, too!

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Please keep the photos coming! I'd love to see how Dreamworld and Movie World are doing. I miss Australia!

-Zach
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

150 posts and I just get a crappy title!

Postby brilinjo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Kyle, I like your style.

Enough of the rhyming.

Great first post. I really enjoyed part I, looking forward to parts II, III & IV.

Brian

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Great trip report Kyle, it's a shame I've been to Melbourne more than once and have never been to Luna Park - your directions might prove handy if I ever do manage to get down there.

I didn't even know their Scenic Railway had a brakeman, those coasters can really crank up when the brakeman lays off the brakes which they don't normally do for fear of derailing the train unfortunately.

Looking forward to your upcoming reports.

I have severe vegetarian

Postby CreditCrazy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Nice trip report! Looking forward to seeing the rest. Australia definitely has some interesting coasters that sadly never seem to get much attention.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Nice trip report. It is always good to see parks that are a little bit hard to visit for most of us. Glad to see you post this and look forward to seeing the other 3 parks. I have already put this report in the TPR Park Index. I would like to see you submit some of your photos of the coasters too. There is a link to do that at the bottom of the Park Index Page.

Bob

X is the best. Tatsu sucks.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:21 pm

Great job so far.
I'm excited to see the rest.
My mom and I are going to Australia in a couple of years. It was going to be next year, but we decided to take a couple "mini-vacations" next summer. (LA, NY, etc. Hey, with $29 one-way fares, you can't beat that!) When we're there, we're hitting up Sea World, Dream World, and Movie World. I'm excited :)

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby stuartnz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 pm

That Luna Park entrance is even scarier than the Sydney one.
Looking forward to the rest of your pictures! :omg:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby capnkyle1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for the comments everyone, sorry it took me awhile to get back to this.

The second park we checked out was Luna Park in Sydney. We had originally planned to go at night to take advantage of some of the great views across the harbor and to enjoy an evening stroll across the Harbor Bridge. However, distances are very deceiving and making the walk from downtown Sydney requires some backtracking to get on and off the bridge. Hence we arrived too late to ride anything but we did get to enjoy the lights of the midway and the view across the harbor. The location really is fantastic.

Fortunately we had enough time the next day to go and do the park properly and this time we took the train which ended up being far far quicker. Luna Park charges $10 per ride and has a couple of ride pass packages. Unlimited rides on the Go Wild pass are $40 or $45 depending on when you go but we went with the Go Silly pass which was $30 (can be $35 depending on the day) which gets you into Coney Island, on the ferris wheel, wild mouse, carousel, and dodgem which was pretty much what we were interested in. We ended up being at Luna Park on Australian Father's Day so the place was pretty busy with families and young children.

Luna Park occupies a long, narrow strip of land on the shores of the Harbor below a bluff on which a row of tall apartment towers were located. I couldn't imagine how nice the views were from up there, looking down on the park and across the harbor at central Sydney. The park is bisected by the Coney Island funhouse with the back half seeming to be relegated to more modern rides and sparse decor. Nothing back there interested us so we never ventured beyond Coney Island. The front half was classic seaside park with funky architecture and lots and lots of lights.

The Wild Mouse was fun and was built on top of a building so it was quite difficult to photograph. It was also our first wooden wild mouse. It features inline seating so with two adults in there it was pretty snug and we took a few bumps on the hairpin turns which seemed more violent than on today's wild mice.

We also checked out their old style funhouse which led you through a long corridor filled with classic gags like shifting floors and curvy mirrors. The corridor leads you into the large central room where you have free reign to try the rotating barrels, mirror maze, more shifting floors, big slides, and a social mixer. We had a great time on everything but the social mixer which seemed to be for children only. The slides were fast and steep and the barrel took some skin off my elbow. We spent about an hour in Coney Island before heading out.

On our way out we took a ride on the Ferris Wheel where some kid cut his way through line and forced his way onto our gondola and the ride ops sent us off despite our protestations. The entire time he yelled down to his PaPAA down on the midway. Kirsten, my wife, was none too pleased.

Overall, Luna Park was very cool with great atmosphere and location, however they do kinda need a headliner attraction as the park has a sort of incomplete feel or rather a feeling that something has gone missing. Definitely worth an hour or so if you're in downtown Sydney and can escape across the Harbor for awhile.

And on with the pictures!
1.jpg
Welcome to Luna Park Sydney! They have a big Moon Man entrance too. Again with the devouring. . .
2.jpg
I wonder what he's looking at.
17.jpg
It's awfully colorful here! Let's check this place out.
19.jpg
Ooooh look! They have a pretty Rotor!
14.jpg
Where?
3.jpg
Oh and look at Coney Island, it's amazing!
13.jpg
Where!?
12.jpg
Oh and look! They still have the neon sign from when the Big Dipper was here!
15.jpg
WHERE!!!???
18.jpg
Geez, chill out dudes, we'll come back tomorrow and show you!
7.jpg
Oh so that's what the Moon Man is looking at. Well I can't blame him, I'd spend my days looking at that too. So pretty. . . must. . . snap. . . out of it. . .
20.jpg
Wild Mouse alert. We have a confirmed Wild Mouse sighting!
21.jpg
Oh yeah, that's a nasty mouse we've found. It'll bruise your clavicle if you aren't careful!
22.jpg
This one is not playing today.
24.jpg
Here is a rather dark photo of the interior of Coney Island. If you squint, you can see the children piling onto the Social Mixer.
25.jpg
Here are the elbow skin eating barrels and the slides of certain steepness.
23.jpg
Wheeeeeee!
5.jpg
Luna Park recycles! This is very green of them.
6.jpg
Just like my headless hot disco woman. The only thing she misses is bacon!
11.jpg
From the Ferris Wheel you can get a great view of the Harbor.
10.jpg
It sure is pretty up here
9.jpg
What a nice day, isn't this great honey?
8.jpg
Uh. . . you seem. . . upset. Is something bothering you? Is there something in this gondola that isn't agreeing with you?
26.jpg
PaPAA!! PaPAA!!! Hey! PaPAA!! Up here PaPAA! PaPAA!! Lookit PaPAA!! PaPAA! Watch me! PaPAA! PaPAA!

Ugggh, And on that note, I bid you adieu and from Dreamworld I will broadcast next.
4.jpg
AGGGGHHHHH!!! WHERE!!!????!!!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive