TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Yeah, but I think the big difference between RFII and Flying Turns is that once construction started, it actually finished in one off season.

I love Knoebels as much as the next person, but I agree this is getting kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, but I think the big difference between RFII and Flying Turns is that once construction started, it actually finished in one off season.

I love Knoebels as much as the next person, but I agree this is getting kind of ridiculous.

I think ridiculous is a bit of an understatement.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

I think they shouldn't have put an opening date on the coaster since they knew they were doing something that hasn't been done in a very long time.

Didn't they only have documents from one Flying Turns ride to go by?

I hope they get things worked out and I'll give them all the time they need to make it right.

This has got to be the record for the worlds longest construction.

http://www.rcdb.com/1870.htm

Orphan Rocker beats it by about 18 years...

Flying Turns is based off of a defunct ride concept and Knoebels is just trying to get the bugs fixed out of it. Chances are there are a LOT of bugs to fix so it's gonna take a while before this thing actually opens to the public...

^ I don't believe SBNO qualifies as still underconstruction. The other one has had work done as recently as 2004 and is listed by RCDB as "under construction" not "SBNO since 1983"

Anyway, I hope knobels can get all the kinks ironed out. If it does open, I'll try to get there within the first couple weeks, because I have a feeling it will be closed for refurbishment fairly quickly and fairly often, if they keep it operating at all.

-James Dillaman

At this point I'd hate to see the construction costs on this thing. I'm at the point at emailing the park and seeing what is holding them up and what they still need to complete.

If anyone is going to Knoebels tomorrow, hopefully we might find out what's going on.

I'm at the point at emailing the park and seeing what is holding them up and what they still need to complete.

Personally, I think the people at the park are tired of constantly having people ask them, "When is Flying Turns going to be done???" and have already said multiple times that "the ride will be done when it's done." I don't think there's much else they could tell you beyond what they've posted on the site.

That said, I'm definitely hoping for a positive update at PPP!

^ I agree. On Facebook, for almost every message they post, there's usually at least one comment on FT. A few times I've responded telling the people that the park's doing it's best and it will be open when it's ready. And I can't imagine the amount of emails they get asking them when it will be ready.

Mike Boodley of GCI fame is now on the FT team. In what capacity, and since when, I have no idea. Dick didn't elaborate, and nobody bothered to ask.

Dick said that the first of the next-generation trains is supposed to arrive in two weeks, although I think I've heard that before. He also said that he'd open it in December if it was ready. I think I heard that two years ago.

I'm at the point at emailing the park and seeing what is holding them up and what they still need to complete.

Don't do this. Seriously. This is the last thing the park needs is to hear from some random person they don't know asking them "what's holding it up" as though they don't already know.

Here's a thought...I'll bet the ride might get open faster if they didn't have to answer some pointless emails.

--Robb

^ Nope! The ride is still standing and still under construction... Sad because it actually looks like a really fun ride. Especially going that turn going over the cliff...

(Orphan Rocker)

Standing, yes - under construction, no - I had a look at this while I was in Australia, and it's rusted beyond belief in certain areas, with the "car" (if you can call it that, it didn't have a seat) looking in a particularly bad way.

I reckon it's a safe bet that this ride will NEVER open now. Shame

• 2 weeks later...

Dick mentioned that Mike Boodley had been involved with the Turns for the last 6 months or so. I wonder if the changes to the brake run and final lift were based on his input. I don't know whether his involvement includes design of the cars.

I'm as disappointed as the next person that this ride hasn't opened yet, but just a reminder to the "kids" in here: Parks owe you nothing beyond the usual business transactions. You give them money, they'll let you go on rides, play a game, eat a hot dog. They'll keep the place generally clean and safe. Most will even let you rent a parking space for the whole time you're there.

They're not required to provide you with a new multi-million dollar coaster every year, record breaking this or record breaking that, and they're certainly not obligated to tell you when ride X will be open, or why it isn't open on such and such date. Do you think Knoebels is deliberately not opening this ride just to tick you off? Don't you think they're as frustrated, if not more, than you are that the ride isn't open yet? They're the ones not making money off the investment. What are you losing? A credit?

They probably didn't realize up front how difficult it would be to bring the ride up to modern construction and safety standards without sacrificing the original ride quality. Actually, wasn't one of the problems with a previous version of the cars that the ride was too wild and random?

Here's my personal totally unofficial explanation for why the ride isn't open: American fat asses weigh a lot more than they did when the original FT's were open in the 1930s. They have to figure out a way to haul 400-500 extra lbs down the course without the train flipping over or jumping out of the trough. *Disclaimer: The previous opinion may not be shared by Knoebels Grove or the owners of this website.*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard over at rrc:

Barbara Knoebel passed away Friday afternoon (Nov. 27th)

Tentative services are scheduled at Elysburg Presbyterian Church on Friday evening (12/4) with a viewing and a service Saturday (12/5) at 11:00. There will be a viewing prior to the service.

In lieu of flowers, Barbara requested that donations to be made in her name to Give Kids the World.

Edited by jedimaster1227