Roller Coasters in the RAW 3 & Coaster Expedition Vol 12

Everland Coaster Expedition Video! Page 11
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Hand 0f Time » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:08 am

The drop looks amazing. That's all I can say. :lover:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby willh51 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 am

Well that brings back some memories, thanks Robb. I bet that would've been cool sans trims in the first year or so, but when I rode it in the final season it was slow, slow, slow.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Lone Rider » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 am

Jeez. Dinn did pretty lousy work on just about every one of their rides. :omg:

My transgendered dreams have come true!!!

Postby Mr. Starr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Anyways, thanks for the video! It's nice to revisit some old rides!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Hercules is one of the worst coasters I have been on. The turn after the first drop was brutal and is one of the only coasters to give me a headache. I rode in 2000 so that might be why since I hear when it first opened it was a much better ride.

Hydra may not be a top tier ride but it is still a lot better than Hercules was.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby peteb » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:09 pm

I rode Hercules in it's second season; the first drop was incredible at the time. The train was really moving before it hit the drop and the speed was just incredible down the hill (no trims). The first drop of El Toro reminds me a lot of the first drop of Hercules. (only speed and acceleration, we won't talk about smoothness) Then came the banked turnaround and to this day I have no idea how such a large radius, banked turn can be so horribly rough. The train shuffled and banged it's way through so badly that your brain hurt. After that I remember not caring much about the rest of the layout since all you could think about is your head and back hurting from the shaking. It's the only coaster I've ever ridden that consistently gave me a headache every time I rode it. It was a huge ride for it's day but obviously the designers and no clue about how to build track properly. And it had nothing to do with the PTC trains; even the slow sections were rough and I've been on very smooth PTC equipped coasters.

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:13 pm

With as much as Dinn failed with coaster building, I would love to see GG or GCI's take on a coaster with this layout.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:18 am

I think it got to the point where the bottom of the first drop wasn't too far away from riding Son of Beast's helixes. It's sad that my favorite part was probably its most original, truest portion of the ride left; the prelift. The 2nd half of the ride was built for that 10-15 feet they removed from the return trip back up the hill after the turn over the pond. My classic story is that I beat the side of the train like a jockey on the turnaround up by the station. The last 10 feet or so of banking on that turn became a joke because there simply wasn't any speed anymore for it.

I think the hill is cursed. I'm not too crazy for Hercules or Hydra.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby robaroo723 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:14 am

CHILLERLC1 wrote:I think it got to the point where the bottom of the first drop wasn't too far away from riding Son of Beast's helixes. It's sad that my favorite part was probably its most original, truest portion of the ride left; the prelift. The 2nd half of the ride was built for that 10-15 feet they removed from the return trip back up the hill after the turn over the pond. My classic story is that I beat the side of the train like a jockey on the turnaround up by the station. The last 10 feet or so of banking on that turn became a joke because there simply wasn't any speed anymore for it.

I think the hill is cursed. I'm not too crazy for Hercules or Hydra.

Agreed. Hydra is a nice coaster, but my least favorite floorless out there. The area seemed like it presented the perfect opportunity for a great floorless coaster, but I just feel like it misses the mark.

I really did like Hercules in its first few seasons, as it was a pretty intense ride.
Home Park: Six Flags Great Adventure
Favorite Coaster: El Toro

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 am

Hey everyone! We have just posted another segment from Roller Coasters in the Raw Volume 3! This DVD is available at the TPR Store:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/

Let me just take a moment to remind everyone about something. Theme Park Review runs completely ad free, no pop-ups, no banners, and as we keep adding new features to the site the server fees keep growing! Please remember that making a purchase from the TPR Store helps keep this site running ad free! (And we would like to keep it that way!)

TPR DVDs are still only $10 each and our T-Shirts are $8. Please help support Theme Park Review! The last thing we ever want on this site are pop-up ads!

And now...for you Schwarzkopf lovers...The Bullet from Flamingoland!

I still say that The Bullet is the most crazy Schwarzkopf coaster I have ever been on. The amazing design that allowed this shuttle loop to do what it did in a very, VERY small amount of space was absolutely stunning. Check it out....add your comments below!

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

From "Roller Coasters in the Raw Volume 3" - This 2-Disc DVD features roller coasters than have been closed, demolished, or re-located. Re-live more than 50 "historic" roller coasters on Roller Coasters in the RAW Volume 3!

Theme Park Review thanks you for your support!

--Robb Alvey
www.themeparkreview.com

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!