Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: fastgreg12 and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Captain Coaster Nerd!!

Postby JamesMC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:28 pm

^about the whole "Geared" and "Round" thing---

Kinds sounds like a turntable which would make that thing I found on Wikipedia make sense if they are talking about a reverser turntable for the water/coaster hybrid. (p.s. I think the Wikipedia page has been deleted as of a couple days ago.)

I was really hoping for a flyer or a GCI, but a new water ride would be great. It does get mighty sticky some days at The Point.

We'll know in 7.5 hours in my time zone.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:34 am

^^ Yes we know. It has been posted 2 times in the past 3 pages. (Your post was the 3rd time)

2012+Mayan=BS!

Postby Chris Benvenuto » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:43 am

Well, about 25 minutes, and I'll edit my post to include the article at press time! Here's to it! ;)

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby stellaclose » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:53 am

From twitter....

One last bit of info...it's not a coaster! Details at 9:10 a.m.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:11 am

A Whitewater Family Adventure Begins!
http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/r ... /index.cfm

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Grab your paddles and climb aboard the newest river-ride adventure this side of the Appalachians! Shoot the Rapids, an all-new family water ride, will rise above Cedar Point’s rustic Frontier Trail when it makes a splash on Opening Day 2010.

During the 2,100-foot-long journey, adventurers will travel through a wooded area and around an illegal still used for brewing sweet-tasting elixir, all while encountering surprise water elements and special effects. Guests will navigate the waters aboard a 10-passenger boat. Riders will be seated in five rows of two and will be secured by individual over-the-head lap bars.

The excitement builds when the boats ascend one of two lift hills. The first and largest hill will be 85 feet tall and will drop riders down onto Millennium Island at a 45-degree angle. The second hill will be 49 feet tall and will end with a dramatic “shoot” through water rapids and rockwork.

Guests on the Frontier Trail can keep their feet planted on dry land and watch as riders complete their wet and wild trek down the final drop.

“Shoot the Rapids will instantly become a family favorite,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “Our guests wanted another option to cool off on warm summer days. We listened, and Shoot the Rapids will deliver the perfect combination of refreshment, thrills and new memories at Cedar Point.”

Shoot the Rapids will cost more than $10.5 million to build and will be the most expensive water ride ever built at Cedar Point. It will have a capacity of approximately 1,200 riders per hour. The ride will last three minutes. A rider height requirement has not yet been determined and will be released at a later date. The ride was designed and manufactured by IntaRide LLC of Glen Burnie, Md., the same company that built the Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force roller coasters and the Thunder Canyon river-rafting ride.

Ready to take a ride? Please visit cedarpoint.com for a computer animation of Shoot the Rapids, plus construction updates and photos, a live construction webcam, video blogs and more.

All The Details
Design
Capacity Approximately 1,200 riders per hour
Ride Time Approximately 3 minutes
Color Scheme Tan-colored supports and steel trough

Manufacturing
Manufacturer IntaRide LLC
Investment $10.5 Million

Boat Statistics
Number of Boats 10 fiberglass boats
Riders Per Boat 10
Safety Restraint Individual over-the-head lap bars with hand grips
Seating Individual seats; five rows of two per boat

Physical Dimensions
Angle of Descent 45 degrees
Angle of Lift Hill Ascent 25 degrees
First Drop Height 85 feet
Ride Length 2,100 feet
Second Drop Height 49 feet
Water Volume 728,000 gallons of chlorinated, filtered water

Videos:
http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/r ... videos.cfm
str_aerial01.jpg
str_aerial02.jpg
str_finalsplash.jpg
str_firstdrop.jpg

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:13 am

I always thought CP needed a not too wet ride after getting rid of the Mill Race and White Water Landing, and this is it!

And for someone who rode the original Shoot the Rapids in the 70's, I think it's a cool nod to the past.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby slither37 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 am

Looks like a good ride, but sure many will have a different opinion.

I will make him an offer he can''t refuse.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:15 am

Damn I was hoping for Togo :)

Anyway, good to see another water ride in the park.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:25 am

Very Exciting announcement! I love the location of it!

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:26 am

pianojohn wrote:I always thought CP needed a not too wet ride after getting rid of the Mill Race and White Water Landing, and this is it!

If you watch the animation, you will get completely soaked on this ride.

Looks like a decent addition to the park, but as a former Paddlewheel captain, good bye to what little charm was left along that side of the ride.

PreviousNext