Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1874 - Coconut Shores coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
El Toro Make Me Erect

Postby HCLcoasters » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm

The complaints from all the KD fanboys are cracking me up.

I am actually liking the looks of this ride. At first I was not really happy with it but now it's started to grow on me and I really can't wait for this spring.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:08 pm

redfoot12 wrote:^Ugh. NASCAR riff-raff. Not looking forward to it.

I resemble that comment! I am an avid NASCAR fan and go to Bristol, Richmond, and Martinsville on a regular basis. So what if KD is cashing in on the amount of people that are. Where else can you find 165,000 people sitting around a 1/2 mile racetrack size stadium. That is a heeluva lot of people to draw from to entice to your park. As far a "riff-raff", sure there are the "redneck" types at the track, but there is also businessmen with their families, and average everyday people. Personally I can't wait to get back down to KD and try this monster out, it looks amazing!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Dat86Dude » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:08 pm

I expected this, I guess sort of let down from what everyone was predicting or expecting. I noticed complaints about the ride layout, location in the park, trains, name, etc. but I think this is what we should expect right now and for the next few years. It's a bad economy right now and it seems that $25 million is the limit for rides at these chain theme parks, i.e. Cedar Fair and Six Flags. Universal, Disney and Busch(or whoever they are ran by) are the exceptions to this $25 Million limit. Im only speaking for the United States but as we see with Intimidator 305 a "recession" giga coaster. They really cutback on the roller coaster but thats not to say the ride won't be fun, I wish we had ANYTHING down here right now. Naming/Sponsoring of the ride was a money grab and just like the sports arenas and stadiums and we may see more and more weird names for rides. Of course all of what I'm saying may not happen but it was something that was on my mind this morning...

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:13 pm

eddie200330 wrote:
redfoot12 wrote:^Ugh. NASCAR riff-raff. Not looking forward to it.

I resemble that comment! I am an avid NASCAR fan and go to Bristol, Richmond, and Martinsville on a regular basis. So what if KD is cashing in on the amount of people that are. Where else can you find 165,000 people sitting around a 1/2 mile racetrack size stadium. That is a heeluva lot of people to draw from to entice to your park. As far a "riff-raff", sure there are the "redneck" types at the track, but there is also businessmen with their families, and average everyday people. Personally I can't wait to get back down to KD and try this monster out, it looks amazing!

Maybe I should have said "NASCAR GP"?

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby VegasCoaster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm not sure how high that second hill is considering they list the other hills at being 150 ft, which can mean total or maybe they are only counting the second hill in that. Regardless,

MF: 1st drop: 300' 2nd Hill: 169'
I305: 1st drop: 300' 2nd Hill: 150' max.

and keep in mind that Intimidator will have much less track before hitting that without an overbank. There ought to be more airtime on that thing than the video shows considering MF at least used to have some floater air on the second hill. The other hills look to have a great profile for air considering how fast you ought to be going in some of the views too.

Edit: Oh and the the construction will be interesting as several people have said. I doubt they will build it like a cable stayed bridge since that generally involves having cables you want to keep there, but it is possible. Its possible that they also just designed the track for construction loads, which you have to do with practically every structure anyway. If they use 2 cranes since they have 2 big towers, they could just use it to support the weight of the track hanging out there, but that seems rather expensive unless the lift hill goes up in a week or so and then one of the cranes leaves.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Well, it's not as tall as I was expecting, but I think the layout looks GREAT! Those quick transitions would be really fun (with lap bars), and the drop seems like it will be insane.

While I don't like Intamin's new OTSR's, I definitely don't think they will ruin the ride experience. Maverick and Storm Runner are both on my Top Ten list, and they both utilize these restraints.

My main problem with them, besides the occasional bashing of the neck, it that they seem to tighten considerably when any strong force is experience. On the pullouts on the first drops of every Intamin I've ridden with these restraints (even Pilgrims Plunge), those bars are pressed down very hard and crush my upper-legs, making the rest of the ride uncomfortable. (Especially on extreme negative-g hills. Yikes!)

Nevertheless, this looks like a great addition to KD, and I will most likely make the trip all the way up there next year because of it.

BTW, does anyone know how many passengers each train can hold? The concept art doesn't give a very clear image of how long the trains are, but I think I counted 32. I was pretty surprised to read that the coaster will only run 2 trains. I'd hate to see the line if one of them had to be taken out of commission for the day...

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 pm

chad5871 wrote:
CP_RULES wrote:Oh yea, and pause the POV at the very beginning. Just wanted to say I was right. ::lol::

Congratulations on getting it right! I definitely thought you had the right idea when I saw it!

Hmmmm.... I wonder why the model has 4-across seating. Maybe this was the initial model before they settled on the design for the trains? Or is it possible that the trains could be different from the renderings?

Any clue as to the cost of that model & wether or not KD will be selling it in their shops? I wouldn't mind having that bad boy in my bedroom,that is if there's enough space in there to assemble it of course.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby chad5871 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:27 pm

^I'm pretty sure that the model was just for promotional purposes and won't be sold.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 pm

the layout (minus the lift hill looks kinda like Mega-Lite.

You have a point here. It looks like a blend of Mega-Lite, MF, and Maverick. Definitely next gen.

Ok, that lift is just plain HUUUUUGGGE!

Hey, another great ride to look forward to in 2010. Congrats to KD! =)

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby thrillseaker92 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 pm

raptorcrew2002 wrote:Can we please stop with the red and yellow...

I swear it's like they had tons of paint left over from TTD or something. Not knocking red or yellow paint, but i think it's time for CF to diversify with the color wheel paint options.

Actually CF is clever by using those colors. Red is a color that stimulates hunger, therefore making you want to eat. Yellow is a color that stimulates energy and happiness making you have a better day at the park and wanting to come back.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!