TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Quite a few of the accelerators have 5 cars. Furius Baco has 6. So yes, this is the longest train with those restraints.

You do realize that almost every post of yours in this thread has been about the restraints?

We all know you don't like them. That point has been made several times. Why can't you just let it go?

--Robb

I hate the name.

But it's only a name.

I Loveeeee the support structure of this baby. So sexy. So efficient.

I have never seen details for structure breakdown weight before, but I thought it was interesting that the track and the supports weigh the same amount. I have a feeling for most of the taller coasters out there that the supports weigh much more than the track itself.

I'm totally pumped for this coaster now...the layout looks short but sweet, and it looks like the entire ride from drop to end is just going to be pure Intamin speed.

I kind of wish they could have gone with U-bars, too, but the OTSRs don't really bother me at all. I'm 5' 11" and Storm Runner's/KK's OTSRs come nowhere near my shoulders. The only time I've felt at all uncomfortable in them was during one ride on Storm Runner, where I didn't have the restraint tight enough and smacked my shoulder against the side of the restraint in the flying snake dive.

That all being said, am I the only one who thinks the crest of the first "airtime hill" seems a little too drawn out to give any strong airtime? The smaller hills seem fantastic, but the under-lift hill just seems too drawn out to give anything but floater air...kind of like Kingda Ka's second hill. It almost seems like it might have been better, had they used a stengel dive in that spot.

But either way, I guess I'll find out when I ride it. Even if its not a super airtime machine like SROS or Bizarro, I'll still enjoy it for what it is. Who can deny ANY Intamin mega/giga?

I305 > Driving on the interstate at 90 mph > Sitting in your car parked > The aforementioned in the 100 degree heat > The aforementioned without the AC running > MF

The OTSR's don't bother me at all, I didn't get neck chopped on Maverick one bit and that seems to be the ride that's most complained about for neck chopping.

Oh yea, and pause the POV at the very beginning. Just wanted to say I was right.

untitled1.JPG.85d3adbf1174ffce48f121982125d9c6.JPG

WIN!

^Because with Intamin, we can always appreciate a unique layout with each coaster design with different elements. For example, after going on Nitro, I wouldn't want to travel the miles to go to Kings Island just for Diamondback. The layouts are almost exactly the same. But, with Intamin, each coaster has a drastically different layout.

...Except SROS/ROS.

This was probably questioned back when MF opened, but could giga coasters become a bit more popular once this is built? Maybe part of the reason why these coasters never originally sold before was the layout along with the cost.

Wow, I finally got caught up on reading all of this and only have a few things to say.

I do agree that the name and theme make more sense to go to Carowinds, but isn't their ad campaign saying something about "Lightning Striking Twice"? Maybe theirs will be a sort of knock off....

The Congo was built/themed years ago before all of the newer rides and coaster were added, maybe they just need some sort of retheme, albeit not the "Redneck Alley" that was mentioned a few pages back.

As for the person who wanted to skip this race weekend, by all means please go on that Saturday, as there will be over 100,00 people at the track meaning mostly short (hopefully) lines at the park.

Restraints really shouldn't be an issue, the only thing I am concerned about is taking the first turn at close to 90 mph!!!!!! I can only imagine the force pushing you down into your seat!!!!

And last, as for the colors, if they wanted to go the whole Earnhardt theme, maybe they could've used blue instead of red for the early years Wrangler car he drove...

Enough of my rambling, just get out to Central VA next summer and see for yourself........

Did anyone notice that the link to KDFansite's pics show a model with B&M style 4 across seating??

Roller Coasters are to enjoy; Not to complain about the restraints! To be honest, who cares about them anyway. All they do is keep you from falling out, not blocking your blood circulation.

I don't want to be mean but They are just restraints.

Hmm...

I'm not sure what I think yet.

I like 300 feet

I hate the name

I like high speed turns

I hate the OTSR's

I like 85 degrees

I hate the color

Just hmm...

This could be good, or it could go terribly wrong. But I'm leaning towards good.

All I know is that if the transitions are anything like Maverick, I'll probably only ride it once. My neck was so bruised the next day after riding Maverick.

We shall see.

Oh yea, and pause the POV at the very beginning. Just wanted to say I was right.

Congratulations on getting it right! I definitely thought you had the right idea when I saw it!

Hmmmm.... I wonder why the model has 4-across seating. Maybe this was the initial model before they settled on the design for the trains? Or is it possible that the trains could be different from the renderings?

The model has 4 across seating because they used the Coasterdynamix model system. It only has B&M style track and trains.

I love the layout of Intimidator, it's like the Millennium Force I always wanted. Can't wait to ride it, whenever that may be.

Hmmmm.... I wonder why the model has 4-across seating. Maybe this was the initial model before they settled on the design for the trains? Or is it possible that the trains could be different from the renderings?

Because it's from the original model...We talked to the guy at the announcement that actually put it together... and they was so shocked and amazed when they were asked to build the model.