TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

^ Everytime I had another tour guide, who told the whole story a bit different and they all also used another route. For sure I would not make it 5 times, but I enjoyed it each time and never got bored. Maybe the reason that I never paid for it was also a good point on it!

--Soren

I definately recommend the Segway tour - I thought it was worth the cash. Its priceless watching other guests faces as you go past in a tour group...

However, DO NOT:

Spin your segway in fast circles - I was very, very close to crashing and burning....

Get people to take pictures of you - wearing that helmet makes you look ridiculous....

Anyhow, great tour, worth doing the once!

1865756159_CopyofDSCF0795.JPG.0e1bdc611d7beb832339e3983b0168a5.JPG

See, I told you it makes you look silly.....

When I'm visiting Florda again in 3 years, when my oldest daughter will be 11-12 years old, I'm actually thinking of doing the Segway tour after reading the above. It looks like fun, although the price is quite high imo.

They should include some free fast passes in the $ 85

• 5 months later...

Hi. We were just in Florida in February (check out my vids in the other forum) and we had such a good time we decided we have to go back for the Food and Wine Festival this year. I've been looking through some old threads, and there doesn't seem to be anything specifically for the Food and Wine Festival, so I thought I'd start this thread for people who've been, and people who want to go.

Here are my first questions for any experts out there:

Food and Wine Festival and the Disney Dining Plan?

When we were there in Feb. we had the Dining Plan and thought it was a great deal. Can you use your Dining Plan "points" for the special stuff at EPCOT? Does it make sense to get the Dining Plan again if we're planning on pigging out at EPCOT every night? If we can't use the Dining Plan, is pigging out at EPCOT every night going to be too expensive? Are there enough different things to try that you can pig out every night without boring your taste palet? Wow, I just said pig out like 4 times...

Ok, I will leave it at that for now. Food and Wine veterans, help me out!

Morgan,

I've only done the Food and Wine Festival twice. (Most recently 2003)

I know very little about the dining plan, but what we did was basically walk around the lake twice. Whenever we ran out of food or drink, we just bought what was next in sight.

There were (are) loads of carts and vendors selling food and booze all the way around. It was quite fun to do in the early evening and then catch Illuminations while somewhat (Or more) inebriated.

I do remember though, it did get quite expensive, and that was 5 years ago.

JJ

No, Food and Wine is separate from DDP. The food is varied, there's usually 18-20 countries with various things, but the portions are not big and they are expensive ($4-7 each). So expect to pay $20-30 to make it feel like a meal.

It IS fun though, as long as you go when it's not too crowded.

^I'm not sure if that's correct.

I know when we were there last year tons of the foods at the stands had the Disney Dining Program Logo and counted as a snack.

Now, I know on most of the plans you don't get that many snacks a day so it really wouldn't pay if you want to eat a lot at Epcot on this trip.

I know when we were there last year tons of the foods at the stands had the Disney Dining Program Logo and counted as a snack.

Now, I know on most of the plans you don't get that many snacks a day so it really wouldn't pay if you want to eat a lot at Epcot on this trip.

Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Sharktums, I just thought of a question for you. Did you have any trouble finding enough vegetarian snacks and stuff?

Hmm, maybe it was only 2006 that happened. I was there a few times last year but didn't notice if it was different

I'd say that most of the items have meat.

Here's a link to all of the dishes they had last year. The menus are somewhat similar year to year.

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ep/fw07/fw07b.htm

Wow, thanks for digging that up for me. My stomach is grumbling now! Although most of the items have meat, there are still quite a few vegetarian offerings. I mean, it is the Food and WINE festival, so I'm totally up for just trying lots of wine and letting Markus take care of the food part.

Has anyone taken part in an actual wine tasting, (where you get to sample several wines, perhaps paired with special cheeses), at the festival? I something like that even offered as part of the festivities?

No, Food and Wine is separate from DDP. The food is varied, there's usually 18-20 countries with various things, but the portions are not big and they are expensive ($4-7 each). So expect to pay $20-30 to make it feel like a meal.

It IS fun though, as long as you go when it's not too crowded.

That's good advice. Do you know when the most crowded times are? We're planning on going for the last week, which is the first week of November, basically.

Food and Wine is great because you can experience many different beverages and foods. I have done Wine tasting in Germany and France and it was great. Not too expensive, but well worth the money!! I also just bought food when I was hungry. It could get expensive, but that is typical for a theme park. I hope you really enjoy!

• 5 months later...

. . . I mean, it is the Food and WINE festival, so I'm totally up for just trying lots of wine and letting Markus take care of the food part.

Has anyone taken part in an actual wine tasting, (where you get to sample several wines, perhaps paired with special cheeses), at the festival? I something like that even offered as part of the festivities?

yes. i've been going once or twice every year. the wine tasting seminars are the best thing for us. they usually have a speaker from a country, wine company or expert of some sort with four samples to taste.

we went on a saturday the second weekend this year, 2008.

this year they cut the seminars in half. they used to have two areas set up for them but only have one now. with the increased traffic as the festival has gotten popular, the lines were already getting long. this year you had to get in line about an hour early. someone there said they have seating for 100 at each seminar but have been turning away another 100 or more.

later on the place was so crowded we could barely walk . i'll go back, but never again on a weekend.

I filed a comment to guest services about my experience but haven't heard any response from them.

• 10 months later...
The genuine Mexican cuisine of the San Angel Inn inside Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion will be joined by a variety of tequila flavors in La Cava del Tequila, which opens on August 28 next to the restaurant.

Guests visiting La Cava del Tequila will have the opportunity to enjoy over 70 types of authentic tequila from several major brands, ranging from the simplest to the rarest of them all, aged to perfection and made from the finest distilled spirits from the Agave Plant. A “Tequila Ambassador” will be on-hand to educate Guests on the history of Tequila making and its rich Mexican heritage.

Through the décor, art work, original artifacts and products served it will celebrate the heritage and tradition of Tequila making in Mexico.

Exotic and unique-blended margaritas will be served introducing a variety of flavored salts, spices and tropical fresh fruits masterfully prepared by experienced mixologists.

For those who crave Epcot’s annual International Food and Wine Festival year-round, a variety of quick tastes “Tapas style” will be available, including freshly made Guacamole, home fried Fresh Corn Chips , Salsas, Ceviches and Tostadas.

Link

This isn't huge news, but:

- It is Epcot.

- It is Food and Wine Festival related.

- It involves premium alcohol.

- All of that makes it important.

467796878_b8yfq-m.jpg.9abb9cadd7f00b5a859ebc26a0e20f7d.jpg

Random stock photo of the interior of Mexico. Swine Flu not included.