TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

I kind of doubt that you would have much time left to drown after smacking straight into the water at 48 mph. But I think that we would have a MUCH higher chance of a train flying off of any coaster at your local fair. And it's not like that has ever happened so I guess you can say that you were quite safe on the Big Bad Wolf. I am sure every coaster out there needs some sort of welding to go on every here and there. Imagine what needs to be done to the track on the Matterhorn every once in a while.

^1) not a fair, but clicky so it can happen.

2) Matterhorn has had all of it's steel track replaced since it opened. So while yes coasters do deteriate, it's up to each park how far they want to go to preserve a ride. Obviously, InBev/ Busch doesn't want to invest into maintaining or improving the coasters situation (what ever it is) Hopefully we can just hope Busch will add a quality coaster/ atrraction/land that will be as fun and as thrilling as BBW.

So I have never been to BGW before and I only about 3 hours away actually. As soon as I read that article I knew I had to go so I can get on the BBW. So I have planned a trip for 3 days to go to both BGW and Water Country USA.

Are the lines at either parks long during the week?

So I have never been to BGW before and I only about 3 hours away actually. As soon as I read that article I knew I had to go so I can get on the BBW. So I have planned a trip for 3 days to go to both BGW and Water Country USA.

Are the lines at either parks long during the week?

I did that same thing...going on the 24th of August. At least this got me moving on going to the park.

So I had a thought today. I'm actually not upset by Big Bad Wolf leaving at all. Not when you put things into a different perspective. Sure, I like the ride and everything, but when you think about the impact on the industry versus something like...

Islands of Adventure's Lost Continent being destroyed.

Big Bad Wolf leaving seems kind of trivial.

Think about it. Big Bad Wolf has been around for 25 years. And sure, it's a great ride, some may argue the best in the park, but it's not a unanimous opinion.

25 years worth of riders, probably millions that have walked through the turnstiles for more than two decades have been able to experience this "better than average" coaster.

Now let's have a look at Lost Continent, shall we?

This remarkable land, arguabley one of the most fantastical, beautiful peices of theming ever designed in a theme park BULLDOZED in just less than a decade. Some of the best creative work ever put into a park, and it didn't even last 10 years.

An area of a park, that in my opinion, should have NEVER BEEN TOUCHED, should have been "sacred ground" as far as themed areas goes, had some of the most iconic theme park landmarks litterally "thrown in a dumpster."'

That's a travesty. Big Bad Wolf leaving, yeah, it's a bummer. But is that really sadder than the Dueling Dragons statues sitting in the green dumpster waiting for the trash pickup on Monday morning? I don't think so.

And now only to walk through the area and see "Dragon Challenge", a name that sounds like it came out of the Cedar Fair book of ride re-naming, where "Dueling Dragons" used to be.

So yes, it's sad that Big Bad Wolf is leaving us, but I gotta be honest, it's time has come and there are a lot worse things out there to get bent out of shape over.

And here's one more thought...we better get used to some of these older coaster from the 1970s and 1980s being "retired" because I can't imagine that a 25 year old steel coaster isn't expesive to keep in operation.

So unless it's one of the top ten coasters in the world, my guess is that we're going to see this happen more and more over the next 5 to 10 years.

--Robb "Just some late night ramblings..." Alvey

^ I have been so excited about the new HP dark ride that I neglected the fact that this land's overlay will in fact, devour the only "non-franchise" island in IOA. I'm sure the new land will look great, but it's definately a good point to mention that there really wasn't anything at all wrong with Lost Continent.

I for one am not too upset at the removal of the wolf, I consider myself lucky to have gone on it when I did. I'm sure BGE will make excellent use of the land between it and Drachen Fyre, perhaps a new land?

^^That is true Robb. When I heard The Lost Continent was getting "bulldozed" because of the new Harry Potter land I was very upset and forgot about it 'til now. Dueling Dragons turing into the trivial Dragon Challenge would be a fair "loss" as well. Already that the dragons outside the main entrance, old main entrance anyways, are already gone took away from the aspect of the ride. I am too sad to see BBW go, being it's my second favorite ride at the park. But that's what happens to older rides. Better more profitable plans arise and older rides are deemed "unfit" for the cost it takes to run it or just for the publics opinion of it.

Kyle "really late night ramblings" Riedy

True words of wisdom Robb, Big Bad Wolf may be one of the first, but I see many more coasters to go very soon. Coasters like Superdooperlooper and Corkscrew just don't have much service life left. Tragic, but in 10 years it will be hard to find many 70s and even 80s steel coasters around, they will be an endangered species of coasters.

So yes, it's sad that Big Bad Wolf is leaving us, but I gotta be honest, it's time has come and there are a lot worse things out there to get bent out of shape over.

And here's one more thought...we better get used to some of these older coaster from the 1970s and 1980s being "retired" because I can't imagine that a 25 year old steel coaster isn't expesive to keep in operation.

So unless it's one of the top ten coasters in the world, my guess is that we're going to see this happen more and more over the next 5 to 10 years.

--Robb "Just some late night ramblings..." Alvey

Locally, people are pretty sad about BBW's impending demise. It's a local "rite of passage" when a kid grows tall enough to ride it. But the suspended coasters are a major maintenance headache, and I'm sure the park isn't just ripping BBW out for no reason. But, frankly, losing the Loch Ness Monster would be even sadder--that's the park's iconic coaster, I think (even if it isn't the greatest ride in the world).

Times change.

^ Given the choice between BBW and Loch Ness I would definitely keep Loch Ness and get rid of BBW. However, with the number of high-thrill coasters at the park, BBW should be replaced with another family-friendly coaster. Seeing that in the last 5 or 6 years, the park has been concentrating on the addition of highly-themed attractions that rival Universal's and Disney's, it would be great to see maybe an indoor. Maybe another ride themed to a brothers Grimm story or a "sequel" to BBW. It would be great to rampage through another Bavarian village but with even more theming. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole plan was to rebuild the ride the whole time.. think about it. They waited until the last minute to announce that they would be getting rid of it, and the reason is most likely because they couldn't afford the high-maintenance requirements of the old ride for another decade. However, you would think if they were, they would have announced that they were rebuilding the ride instead of simply removing it. Guess I'm just an optimist.

As always, Robb's analysis is perfect. Lost Continent should have been left alone. I'll really be sad the day they destroy Mythos. Though management has already sort of destroyed it with the dumbed-down menu, but that's a different story...

I'm still trying to figure out if I can get down to BGW for one last BBW ride. Might be able to fit it in the schedule at the end of the month. We'll see.

dt

As always, Robb's analysis is perfect.

Eh...no, that's a matter of opinion really. He's saying that the retheming of an area of a theme park is more devastating than losing a classic coaster...

Obviously people have personal connections with Big Bad Wolf and are upset with its removal and Robb loved The Lost Continent and he's not too pleased with its partial destruction....but is his analysis really that fair? Some people don't love the Lost Continent as much as he does, and Robb clearly doesn't see what others see in BBW.

^Yes he does! That was the whole point of his thread. At least people got to experience the awesomeness that was Big Bad Wolf for 25 years.

Please don't talk down to any of our users, especially the site owner, it won't be tolerated.

As always, Robb's analysis is perfect.

Eh...no, that's a matter of opinion really. He's saying that the retheming of an area of a theme park is more devastating than losing a classic coaster...

Obviously people have personal connections with Big Bad Wolf

Eh...no, that's a matter of opinion really.

So you're saying that people DON'T have personal connections with Lost Continent? So you're saying that the opinions of someone who likes coasters outweighs the opinions of someone who likes theatrical theming? Do you have any data to back that up? Of course, not. Your letting your sphincter do the thinking instead of your brain.

"Obviously."

Here is more of my opinion - you have no clue what you are talking about and I think your post sucks.

--Robb "Yup! That's my opinion! And I'm entitled to it!" Alvey

For me, at any rate, losing a coaster is honestly worse than a name being changed and some theming being redone

Honestly, it's going to be just as well themed as "Dragons challenge" because they have that previous theming level to come up to

Times change, theming changes, it's still the same dueling dragons we know and love, just with a dumber name, i can cope with that

BBW Was the first inverted coaster i rode, it's been a personal favorite of mine for a few years, and i'll be far more sad to see it go than i was when they announced LC Becoming harry potter

Times change, theming changes, it's still the same dueling dragons we know and love, just with a dumber name, i can cope with that

Exactly. And for me, it's still the same Busch Gardens Europe we know and love, just without Big Bad Wolf, and I can cope with that.

Thank you for posting out of your own personal opnions and feelings and sharing them, and not telling other people that their opinions are "obviously" wrong.

--Robb

I for one, feel that both losses are equally severe. Dueling Dragons had THE BEST themed queue of any ride in existence IMO and a Harry Potter re-theme will ruin it for anyone who's waited in the original. The queue was so good, I always wished there was at least somewhat of a wait so that I could stand there and revel in the details. Big Bad Wolf was an extremely good coaster. Really the two are like apples and oranges.. but in the end they are both losses and all losses are bad. However, Big Bad Wolf will most likely be replaced by another coaster. The original Dueling Dragons will be lost forever and replaced with Harry Potter. While there's no saying what will replace BBW, I think it's safe to say that you can't get much worse than Harry freaking Potter as a replacement. Not to mention it makes less sense to take a ride already established in a particular section and changing it just to fit in with the theming of a new section as opposed to removing a ride because the high-maintenence costs outweighed the ride's worth profitably.

So i suppose in the end, Dueling Dragons is more of a "loss" and BBW is more of a "replacement". That is, unless they decide to not replace BBW. In that case, BBW would be the greater loss. But that is unlikely seeing how many fans the BBW had.

In summary, Robb has the better argument.

^ To be honest, I wasn't looking for an argument nor was I trying to compete with anyone. I was just trying to look at things from a different perspective and offer that view to others who have blinders on about BBW right now.

For example, BBW being taken out is very minor compared to ASTROWORLD BEING BULLDOZED!!!!

I'm just trying to remind everyone to look at things from a different view or even the 'bigger picture" sometimes.

It's fine if people want to dis-agree with me and post their views, but I'm not going to tolerate being told I'm "obviously wrong."

(Not saying you said that, but I just wanted to clarify)

--Robb