Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1066: Finnegan's Flyer POV video
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby LBIJim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 pm

DAMN!! While not unexpected, the Labor Day closing of BBW is still a shock. I was planning a trip to BGW in October to ride it for (possibly) the final time. Looks like I have some major schedule re-arranging to do.

It was sad but not that great a deal when XLR-8 and Astroworld closed. I wouldn't mind if Ninja (SFMM) and Vortex (CW) shut down. And they can tear down Iron Dragon (CP) tomorrow for all I care. But a little bit of my heart will be torn away with BBW's demise.

Almost as much fun as riding it was watching it in motion, especially the final drop over the river. I'd sometimes stand on the bridge over the river for a good 15 minutes watching train after train make that descent.
You'll be missed, BBW.
LBIThatJim

Did Medusa in the front and back

Postby atem122 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 pm

SFMM fanboys must be rejoicing as Ninja's competition for best suspended coaster gets picked off one by one. First Eagle's Fortress and whatever the hell happened to it, and now BBW, soon Ninja will rule all! :devil: :devil: :devil:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LcHg5265 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:28 am

atem122 wrote:SFMM fanboys must be rejoicing as Ninja's competition for best suspended coaster gets picked off one by one. First Eagle's Fortress and whatever the hell happened to it, and now BBW, soon Ninja will rule all! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Vortex at Canada's Wonderland > Ninja

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby coolcalicoaster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:05 am

atem122 wrote:SFMM fanboys must be rejoicing as Ninja's competition for best suspended coaster gets picked off one by one. First Eagle's Fortress and whatever the hell happened to it, and now BBW, soon Ninja will rule all! :devil: :devil: :devil:

I hate to tell you but Ninja isn't really all that great :?r

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:20 am

^
When I rode it a few years ago, it was one of my favorites at Magic Mountain, and easily on of the most fun coaster around. (Everyone in my group agreed)
I liked Ninja better than BBW

--James

We Ride with Pride

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:27 am

LBJim, hope I gots your name right, have you ridden the coasters you mentioned? Yeah Draggin' Iron isn't that great, but Vortex? Vortex began my love of suspended coasters, and every time I have come off it, I love it even more.

Jeez, I almost hada fan-boy moment. ;)
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!'

Papas

Postby Papas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 am

coasterdude5 wrote:
Huge_Wonderland_Fan wrote:Does anyone know how Six Flags was convinced to save Whizzer ?

I'm glad someone brought that up. While it probably won't happen in this case, it does show that public outcry can sometimes spare a ride from removal.

Whizzer was spared because Shockwave had an accident.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Wild 1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:37 am

^ No Shockwave did not have an accident, it was more or less the fact that Shockwave was tearing itself apart! It was apparently going too fast through the loops and was destroying the wheels on the cars and the top of the loops. Scream Machine had the same problem until they did something to the loop tops. It was just cheaper to replace shockwave then whizzer and with less public outcry.

Now back on topic. I say go for it, I mean if you don't like it don't vote!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 pm

BGW has posted some "FAQs" about the Wolf's upcoming demolition: http://www.buschgardens.com/bgw2/CP/?page=BigBadWolf.

After 25 years traveling at the speed of fright, The Big Bad Wolf will take its last trip through Busch Gardens’ Bavarian village Sept 7. The ride has simply reached the end of its service life. The decision was made to announce the closing now so fans have time to ride the “Wolf” one last time before the ride closes. We are reviewing several design concepts for a new park attraction to replace The Big Bad Wolf, but no announcement is planned at this time.

FAQ

Q1 Why are you removing The Big Bad Wolf?
A1 The Big Bad Wolf has simply reached the end of its service life. The decision was made to announce the closing now so fans have time to ride the “Wolf” one last time before the ride closes.

Q2 Will the public be able to see the demolition process?
A2 Guests will certainly see the results of the work being done at the site. That said, we want guests to enjoy their park experience and will not have crews dismantling the coaster during regular park operating hours. Crews will likely work during the week when the park is closed to dismantle the ride.

Q3 What will you do with the land once The Big Bad Wolf is removed?
A3 We are considering several options, but are not ready to discuss future plans at this time.

Q4 Why not let fans of The Big Bad Wolf ride the coaster during Howl-O-Scream?
A4 Choosing Labor Day to close the attraction gives fans one last chance to ride the coaster without changing the park’s established timeline to dismantle this major attraction.

Q5 Should guests have any concern about the removal of the Loch Ness Monster, which is older than The Big Bad Wolf?
A5 The Big Bad Wolf's ride dynamics and the fact that the coaster has reached the end of its service life were contributing factors in the decision to retire the ride. Loch Ness Monster is a more conventional coaster that does not experience the same ride dynamics as The Big Bad Wolf. Besides, it’s hard to think of a better use for the Loch Ness Monster site than to continue serving this classic coaster.

Q6 Why are you removing a ride without having its replacement ready to announce?
A6 It's not unusual for theme parks to remove rides and not immediately announce a replacement attraction. Besides, we are opening two new attractions in 2009, which represent a significant park investment. We opened Sesame Street Forest of Fun this spring, and we are looking forward to Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration, which opens after Thanksgiving.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:38 pm

KDFAN wrote:We aren't going to let this go with out a fight please go over to http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BBWSAve and sign with your first and last name, Thanks

Ps Robb if you read this can you highlight on title page.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

:lmao: :lolr: :lmao:

EDIT!!!

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!!!

Even more LOL!!!!

I just read the petition. I says:

Goal = 1,000 people.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Does you have any idea how many people visit BGW every day? Or even annually?

OMFG! 1,000 people signing a petition! "Well, then, we better re-think our plans of demolishing the rolly coaster!"

I mean, 1,000 people? That's your goal? That's only 1/30 of TPR's members! Let alone probably about 1/40 of the people who visit the park EVERY DAY!

Seriously. That peition is a joke. Get like 500,000 people to sign it and then color me impressed.

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!