Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby geaugalakeinexile » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 am

downunder wrote:^The Darien Lake one might be a little different, it's a Zamperla rather than an Intamin like Motocoaster. The Zamperla is taller than Motocoaster but a bit slower with a different launch system to Motocoaster.

Neither are exactly destination coasters in my book. Even though I have been to the Gold Coast since Motocoaster opened, I will ride the Darien Lake one first, such is my lack of desire to go to Dreamworld.

Darien Lake is marketing this coaster for what it is, a family coaster.
The ride is much better than it looks in videos.
I got to ride it on opening day and was impressed.
The seating position makes the ride seem faster, and adds to the track banking. The 48" min. height limit lets more in the family ride.
If you want to find out more about Darien Lake and see video of Motocoaster check out darienlakecentral.com

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Thu May 15, 2008 8:28 am

Paul_Hollibone wrote:At Dreamworld in Australia.

http://rcdb.com/id3950.htm

Marketed as a major kick arse thrill ride, when in reality it's just an awsome family ride, which has a crappy queue line system.

That is largely debatable. It is a family ride, but awesome is definitely not the word I would use to describe it. The Motocoaster at Dreamworld is the most disappointing and pointless coaster I have been on in a long time. Honestly both times I rode it, myself and everyone else on the ride at the time left hugely disappointed. I just kept saying, "What was the point."
I hope these ones are better and provide a bit more thrills. I also agree that this does look like a cheap carnival attraction.
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby RCoasterny » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:13 pm

An F1 tornado touched down north of Darien Lake, and was visible from the park itself. The tornado was 100 yards wide and traveled for 4 miles. It then became a funnel cloud and crossed over I-90 heading northeast towards Rochester. It nearly formed again near Hilton where a town carnival was going on at that time, but all they got was a very severe thunderstorm with heavy downpours.

Here's the news article from a local Rochester station about the tornado:
http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/ ... gT31g.cspx
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 am.

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:38 pm

pft, F1? Dragster produces higher wind shears than that, LOL.

Thats cool. Considering winds were only 72-112, I woulda been tempted to drive through it or something.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jslim39 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Whoa... scary. My grandparents live in Rochester, I hope they're all ok. Also glad to see nothing happened to the park, especially since I'll be going in August.
GO STEELERS!!!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DLMindEraserTL » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Yea I was working when all of this came down so to speak. We were told just to remain at our rides and not take shelter.

I was working up on Mind Eraser and could see the tornado through the park past the Giant Wheel. Deffinatley scary stuff at the DL today!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 am

Real wrote:pft, F1? Dragster produces higher wind shears than that, LOL.

Thats cool. Considering winds were only 72-112, I woulda been tempted to drive through it or something.

Yes, you do that [/sarcasm]

Can take balls to the face

Postby paintballer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:35 am

Pff, F1??? Man, what a wimpy tornado. Live in Texas for awhile, I would still go during an F1..

Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

Postby RCoasterny » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:58 am

Here's a picture submitted by a reader to the Democrat and Chronicle that shows the tornado near Darien Lake..

And here's another article about the 2nd tornado that may have touched down at Hilton- where a carnival was going on at the time.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... 1002/RSS01
bilde.jpeg
(submitted by K. Charbonneau)

Can take balls to the face

Postby paintballer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:28 am

RCoasterny wrote:Here's a picture submitted by a reader to the Democrat and Chronicle that shows the tornado near Darien Lake..

And here's another article about the 2nd tornado that may have touched down at Hilton- where a carnival was going on at the time.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... 1002/RSS01

Cool picture, We get plenty of those around the spring/summer

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!