TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Nobody really knows enough to say who is to blame for what yet. It's up to the police and maybe the courts to sort out.

Thank You! This accident was probably just human error, and no one died. I just figured that the media would make a big deal about this following the monorail accident.

^^ There is two ways it could be Disney's fault. One is if it was mechanical or second, if they had the employees work too long.

Or third, if they employed the driver who caused the accident. Pretty sure they did. And it doesn't matter whether or not he has a license. If any of the guests decided to sue, Disney can't just say "Hey, look, he has a license!" The company will take responsibility because they have to. That's how it works.

I dont know about this one...a "normal" traffic accident, especially a rear end, generally happens when someone isnt paying attention. I look at disney traffic, especially at the parks, kinda really tamed. No real speeding, lots of frequent stops, i guess minimal chance for accidents. But as others have said its gonna be real hard not to say disney is at fault since it was 2 disney bus that are probably maintained by disney...

But I know for now on im walking between parks and will keep a close eye on the ferry's with my video camera in tote...

• 4 months later...

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/changes-at-pleasure-island-wont-be-finished-until-2012/

Walt Disney World hasn’t said much about it plans for Pleasure Island since closing its six nightclubs more than two years ago, but whatever changes are in store apparently won’t be finished until 2012.

That timeframe is tucked inside the Walt Disney Co.’s 107-page annual financial report, which was filed earlier this month with federal regulators.

In a section describing Disney World’s holdings, Disney writes,” In September 2008, the company commenced a plan to enhance Pleasure Island, which will feature new shopping and dining experiences to entertain guests of all ages. The project is expected to be completed in 2012.”

Pleasure Island’s six nightclubs closed Sept. 27, 2008. Disney has said it wants to make the venue more appealing to all age groups — rather than only those of legal drinking age.

But since the closings, only one new venue has opened at Pleasure Island: Paradiso 37, a restaurant with Mexican and South American cuisine. Disney has, however, added some other new elements elsewhere around Downtown Disney, including the Characters in Flight tethered-balloon ride and the dinosaur-themed restaurant T-Rex.

It seems that we'll have to walk through the deserted Pleasure Island for at least another few years... Joy.

• 1 month later...

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-news/theme-parks/pollo-campero-open-concept-eatery-walt-disney-worlds-downtown-disney-late-2010/

Pollo Campero, an international Latin chicken quick-service restaurant chain, has partnered with franchisee Levy Campero to deliver a new restaurant concept in Downtown Disney® Marketplace at Walt Disney World® Resort. The restaurant will feature Pollo Campero’s signature Latin chicken, as well as a new restaurant concept featuring fresh, healthy food.

“This is an exciting opportunity for Pollo Campero to introduce its famous chicken, along with our newest fresh restaurant concept of salads and wraps, to visitors from all over the world,” said Adam Cummis, president of Levy Campero. “We are thrilled to collaborate with one of the strongest brands in the world to showcase our Latin delicacies and look forward to a long working relationship.”

Walt Disney World guests will be able to savor combinations of freshly prepared Campero Latin chicken, unique, flavorful side dishes such as yuca fries and sweet plantains, and Latin drinks including horchata and tamarindo. The menu also will include nutritious and delicious meals such as chef-prepared salads, sandwiches and wraps using simple recipes derived from only the freshest ingredients.

“We’re pleased to offer this new Latin-style restaurant to our guests at Downtown Disney,” said Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney. “Its diversity of offerings and well-balanced options are the perfect addition to our current blend of dining experiences.”

“For decades, Walt Disney World has introduced its guests to rich cultural experiences,” said Juan Jose Gutierrez, chief executive officer of Pollo Campero. “We will build on the park’s rich cultural heritage, helping visitors discover the unique tastes and togetherness of family-style Latin dining.”

Pollo Campero’s food is freshly prepared each day. Fried and grilled chicken is marinated, sending the distinctive Campero flavor all the way to the bone. Fried chicken is hand-breaded in seasoned flour and slowly pressure-cooked without trans-fats, resulting in a flavorful and juicy meal. Grilled chicken features the taste of lime and orange juices, red bell peppers, and a special blend of Latin herbs and spices. The new fresh concept menu will feature fresh salads, sandwiches, fruits, and healthy snacks, as well as vegetarian, gluten-free, sugar-free, low-sodium or organic offerings.

This new family-oriented location at one of America’s beloved destinations – Walt Disney World – exemplifies Pollo Campero’s drive to become one of the top 50 quick-service restaurant brands in the United States. Pollo Campero has spent decades building a brand while retaining the values and service of a family-run business. By combining its efforts with Levy Campero, Pollo Campero has opened new doors including the expansion into Walt Disney World Resort.

And the Orlando Sentinel has confirmed that Pollo Campero's new quick service location will replace the soon-to-be-shuttered McDonald's in Downtown Disney.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/02/mcdonalds-at-downtown-disney-is-closing/

Fast-food giant McDonald’s is leaving Downtown Disney.The McDonald’s restaurant at Walt Disney World’s shopping-and-dining district will close April 30, Disney said this afternoon. It will be replaced by Pollo Campero, a Latin chicken fast-food chain. (More on the new restaurant here.)

Pollo Campero says it serves more than 85 million customers a year. McDonald’s says it serves more than 47 million customers a day.

Representatives for Disney World and McDonald’s said the exit stems from a 2004 decision to end a 10-year exclusive sponsorship agreement between McDonald’s Corp. and Walt Disney Co. The Downtown Disney restaurant was included in that agreement.

“Our alliance partners are ever-changing and this shift in our relationship with McDonald’s reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business,” Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said.

McDonald’s said all of its employees at the Downtown Disney were offered transfers to other McDonald’s locations and that no one would lose their job as a result of the closure.

McDonald’s will continue to operate its restaurant near the entrance to the Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.

“We will continue to work with Disney on mutually beneficial opportunities,” McDonald’s spokeswoman Danya Proud said.

Seems like an odd place to put a fast food chicken place in,although it does say it's a new concept for them and that doesn't really tell you if it will be a counter service or a table service or if it will have a unique theme or design that will make it fit in better at DTD.

^ I'm not sure a quick-service chicken restaurant is exactly the magic bullet that would single-handedly rejuvenate the former PI area.

I know fried chicken isn't the only thing on the menu, but I have something of a hard time with a place that sells fried chicken advertising its food as "healthy."

^ I'm not sure a quick-service chicken restaurant is exactly the magic bullet that would single-handedly rejuvenate the former PI area.

Their effort can be better used that way. Not saying they need to move World of Disney down the strip, but if TLC was given to PI as much as DTD gets, we'd be in a different situation right now...

I was talking to Mary tonight, and asked her about this restaurant. She's been working in El Salvador a lot, and she said this chain is insanely popular there, and it's not unusual to see almost everyone on a flight out of the country carrying a bag of chicken from this place. She actually ate at one last week, and said it was good. She also told me that if you're getting take out you just order at the counter, but if you're eating in, they actually have waiters (not sure if this concept will carry over to the DTD location, of course).

I don't go to DTD a lot, and I doubt I'll ever end up eating at this place, but I suspect it will be popular...

dt