Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: coasterbill and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Thom25 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:46 pm

WOW - Thanks for sharing the video - I get it now.

So is this the magnetic braking technology they got convicted of stealing or is the final brakes? Doubt the court's decision will effect this coaster, but it may impact 2011 and beyond?

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby dragsterfan420 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:46 am

CoryPa77 wrote:
On a side note what is the anti-rollback mechanism like on a cable lift coaster. I know it's not like the traditional John Allen style.

Generally speaking it's still the same type of system, there are teeth on the lift and a dog on the bottom of the train. As long as the train is moving forward the dog will drag over the teeth and only allow for one way movement.

What Intamin has done with their lift systems (chain and cable) is something similar to their eddy current brakes. Essentially the dog is balanced on some fulcrum that the front end (off center from the roll back strip) is being pushed downwards (by the resistive force of the eddy current brake) and that in turn lifts the chain dog upwards so you don't get the click-clack noise you normally get on coasters. Just like with their brakes, the resistive force is proportional to the speed at which the train is traveling so if the train begins to slow it will lose that force and the chain dog will fall down into the teeth of the rollback system preventing the train from traveling backwards.

Every once in a while rides like Millennium Force will be traveling slower than normal up the lift and you can hear the loud click-clack of the dogs because not enough of a magnetic field is being induced to hold the dog up. If you've heard Millennium Force's anti-rollback system you'll know that it's LOUD too!

You can sort of hear what I'm talking about in the first few seconds of this video as the train slows down on the lift.

Thanks for answering the question. I was wondering because you didn't hear the "clickity-clack" noise. Now I see how the whole mechanism works; which is very interesting and intuitive on Intamin's behalf.
Top Wood: The Beast
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Did Medusa in the front and back

Postby atem122 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:17 pm

There was some documentary about Expedition Everest where you can find out how the eddy current anti rollbacks work too, it's on youtube somewhere

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I was going to mention Everest as well, but I believe I may have the documentary on it on YouTube...just a matter of finding it.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:27 pm

I made a diagram with MSpaint to help show what CoryPa77 is talking about.
intaminantirollback.JPG
I'm pretty sure this is how they work.
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby dragsterfan420 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:29 pm

^Yeah, if I understood what he was saying correctly that's how it works. Nice diagram.
Top Wood: The Beast
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoryPa77 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:14 pm

^On the cable lift coasters, it is something similar to this, although with Intamin it appears they have two disc magnets that are turning with a copper rod in the middle which is what lifts the anti-roll backs. These two disc magnets are attached to a wheel that runs up the same track (I-beam) that the catch wagon does for the lift.

On Intamin's chain lift rides (which I guess don't really exist anymore) like Superman:Ride of Steel, there is an actual fin that runs up the track next to the rollback teeth and the bottom of the train has a rod with magnets on it that straddle this fin and that's what generates the resistive force to lift the dogs.

I need to see the Everest video, but I think their way is a little different. I know Vekoma had some unique way of doing it for their SLCs and I'm not sure if this is the same or not.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:19 pm

CoryPa77 wrote:On Intamin's chain lift rides (which I guess don't really exist anymore) like Superman:Ride of Steel, there is an actual fin that runs up the track next to the rollback teeth and the bottom of the train has a rod with magnets on it that straddle this fin and that's what generates the resistive force to lift the dogs.

That's interesting. I never noticed that, thanks for pointing it out.
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Did anyone go to the park over the weekend to see the progress of construction?

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am

Yes I did but since you cant wait til i post instead of asking a rhetorical question I will not post my pictures...
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!