TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Seems like a rather cramped area to be building. I do not think that cedar creek mine ride is coming down, so could this be just some utilities moving? I did see some stuff going on the island when riding MF, but i was thinking this was for Halloween.

Oh, no. Work stories. I worked at CP the summers of 2003, 2004 and 2005, and I visited as a guest more than 100 times between 2007 and 2008. I've got plenty of stories. Gross stories, fun stories, horror stories.

Seems like a rather cramped area to be building. I do not think that cedar creek mine ride is coming down, so could this be just some utilities moving? I did see some stuff going on the island when riding MF, but i was thinking this was for Halloween.

When I was on MF I also just saw halloween stuff on the island but I wouldn't be sad to see CCMR go at all. I think CP is good with family rides/family coasters right now and CCMR isn't too popular either. I'd love to see a flying coaster take its place right on the lake.

CCMR is still doing around 850,000 riders per year which is right in line with rides of similar status in the park. I'd also speculate it's not expensive to maintain, and there's really not much land to gain in a full removal that they couldn't find elsewhere. Not to mention CP really does not have a history of removing roller coasters. I wouldn't call it likely.

Wasn't Viper removed to make room for El Toro?

Yeah but they built in and around Rolling Thunder

Anyway, Im always hoping for new coasters at the Point but Im pretty sure were not gonna see one in this particular clearing. I could maybe see some sort of flat ride or water ride, but as some have said its probably something for Halloween.

Anyway, Im always hoping for new coasters at the Point but Im pretty sure were not gonna see one in this particular clearing. I could maybe see some sort of flat ride or water ride, but as some have said its probably something for Halloween.

I highly doubt it is for halloween because Terror Island was easially put on Millennium Island last year with no clearing and it was not even near the clearing.

CP may have a tendency to rip out trees, but they only do it for a reason. The clearing will be for a new ride. Kinzel even confirmed that CP would be getting something new for 2009 about two months ago.

Since the cleared space isn't really big enough for a coaster, they could use the lagoon for space. Or take out Mine Ride (and/or Snake Rive Falls) as some are speculating . I'm hoping it won't have to come to taking those out though. I really would be sad to see Mine Ride leave.

Most recently in 1978 they removed Jumbo Jet and another Wildcat they had before their current model.

I think 30 years of not removing a coaster (and even then, relatively minor coasters compared to the sprawling CCMR) set a good enough precedent for most folks to know I didn't mean back in Cyclone's days.

When I was on MF I also just saw halloween stuff on the island but I wouldn't be sad to see CCMR go at all. I think CP is good with family rides/family coasters right now and CCMR isn't too popular either. I'd love to see a flying coaster take its place right on the lake.

I am not a big fan of CCMR either, I just do think that CP will want to tear it down. A coaster weaving between the turns of MF would be pretty good.

I am still sticking with a bigger version of Pilgrim's Plunge - it will be the world's tallest water ride in 2010 and would be billed as the replacement to White Water Landing.

In looking at PP with the elevator vertical lift, it would be perfect for that area and for CP. I do not think that they would have to remove CCMR in order to build something like this...

I agree that if CP got a bigger PP, I wouldn't really think of it as a shoot the chutes, but more of a flume, from what I've seen of PP. As for coaster wise, I always enjoyed CCMR, and I think CP needs to replace with some something like Everest, or just a bigger Vekoma Mine Train.

A good family coaster is what they need.

CP may have a tendency to rip out trees, but they only do it for a reason. The clearing will be for a new ride. Kinzel even confirmed that CP would be getting something new for 2009 about two months ago.

Since the cleared space isn't really big enough for a coaster, they could use the lagoon for space. Or take out Mine Ride (and/or Snake Rive Falls) as some are speculating . I'm hoping it won't have to come to taking those out though. I really would be sad to see Mine Ride leave.

New for 2009?

I wouldn't be suprised to see a new water ride there, and it is the perfect size for one.

It would be really cool if they could put in a splash battle there somehow. I know CP dosen't do much with theming, but I think this would be something they could easily pull off. It could be either western themed or Peanuts themed. These rides seem to do well at other parks, and CP needs a new true family ride, so this would be perfect.

I think CP is getting a new giant flume ride, but I actually don't want it and I go to the park at least once a week. The water rides are always walk-ons at Cedar Point and most people I know skip them and go to Soak City even though Soak City is pretty bad. And I don't think Cedar Point NEEDS a new water ride, they have two working ones which is around average for most parks. Also CCMR is going no where, with Six Flags Magic Mountain getting a new coaster, that would make them the undisputed coaster capital, and plus its the 40th anniversary for Mine Ride.

I have not been to Cedar Point myself... but is it just me, or does Raptor seem like it needs a minor update? The sign and the nets (that cover the walkways from loose articles) appear very outdated to me.

Also... what are people's thoughts on Wildcat? Haven't heard too much about it.

^

Don't see anything wrong with Raptor. Wildcat is Wildcat I guess lol. It's a small wild mouse coaster that gives a decent ride. I enjoy it but would never wait in line for it.

As far as the ride for next year, my sources keep hearing a water ride guys. I was hoping for a coaster but not in 2010. As far as being an Intamin flume, that I don't know yet however.