TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Got a question for those that have been to SFKK. Is the park worth a visit over a 4th day at Universal Studios FL? We are thinking about stopping on the way down or back, but unsure of if it is worth it.

Thanks

No, I would not say it is worth the visit. The only way I would rocommend this park is if you really want 6 more credits.

I think Six Flags would be better off selling SFKK (and SFA), and giving some of their rides to other Six Flags parks.

When I visited SFKK for the first time a couple weeks ago, it was horrible. Every coaster except Roadrunner ran one train, and when the trains on the coasters finally would come in the station, the ride operators would just be talking to each other and were in no hurry to open gates/check restraints/send the trains out.

IMO, it's just a bad park that is ruining Six Flags' reputation.

Sfkk is not a bad park. Six flags has ruin this park rep. B4 this park was sixflags, kings island and kk was about on the same level, and ever since sf came, da park hast got a desent new fresh coaster not use from another park (greezed lightin), also sf took out many of this park rides b4 sixflags took over. also i wld like to say sf only put into this park grezzed lightin, mega wedgie,tornado and deluge since 2003, everything else was invested by this parks very first owner or ed hart.

Sadly, They just shipped all the twisted twins trains to SFSL to be scrapped more then likely. I suspect the log ride, the kid rides, and TT will be demolished this offseason.

First of all, the kiddie rides in the Northwest Territory section of the park have been gone for at least 5 years now. The only things that remain in that area are Mile High Falls (not a log ride), the Twins, Zeppelin (flat), and a small stage.

Back when the Northwest Territory was first closed off, the park said that they were going to rehab MHF...and I believe that. When I was last at the park, there were workers walking up and down the lift, the boats were still in the station, and the splash pool had been drained and cleaned out.

However, I said it in 2007, and I'll say it again now---good riddance, Twisted Twins. In its later years of operation, the shuffling on that ride was getting unbearable. I couldn't believe how the cars bounced from side to side, the way they were doing. I do love the look of those trains, though, and I believe they were the very first wooden coaster rolling stock from Gerstlauer. (But please, SFStL, don't put them on the Eagle!)

Robb, the park has been steadily improving since 2005. I'm glad you all enjoyed your visit, and if EVERYONE went to the park with an open mind, I'm sure they would have a good time there, as well. My only beef with Six Flags is that they seem to remove a major ride (or two) EVERY YEAR, yet never seem to replace it.

In a little more than a decade, the following rides have been removed from the park:

-HUSS Ranger

-Schwarzkopf Indoor Jetstar

-Vekoma Boomerang (Vampire)

-Wet/Dry slides

-Kids indoor play area

-HUSS Swing Around

-Numerous childrens' rides

-Chance Chaos

-Vekoma Wakiki Wave

-Intamin 2nd Gen Freefall

-HUSS Rainbow

I would be completely SHOCKED if someone could inform me of another park that has removed that many rides in such a short period of time (without closing). Now, I'm all for replacing old rides with new ones...but the problem is, nothing's getting replaced!

I still have faith in the park, as it indeed turns a profit every year (according to multiple sources), but I'm really hoping to see the park make much more progress in the near future.

Monsterfan, you should definitely take the time to visit the park on your way back home. It is a unique place, and though some don't like that aspect of it, others love it...and you might be one of the latter. Thunder Run is a fun wooden coaster with loads of airtime, and Chang is a great B&M with multiple moments of airtime while still providing a MUCH smoother ride than Mantis. (Plus, there is really no need to spend 4 full days at Universal.) Have a fun trip!

I had a lot of fun there in 2006...but then again there was a bit more to do back then (Twisted Twins, Mile High Falls, Hellevator, etc).

It is a unique place, and though some don't like that aspect of it, others love it

That's a good way to put it. SFKK doesn't have a grand entrance like KD or Canada's Wonderland, it doesn't have any well-themed areas and hardly any well-themed rides, it's split in two by a road, and it was, and still is I believe, home to the state fair. So it's a unique place, and I think none of those things I mentioned goes against the park in any way. It's a decent local park with a nice southern comfort type feel to it.

Honestly I'm all for removal of Twisted Twins. It wasn't that exciting of a ride and it was nothing to write home about. I would like to see the park expand with some smaller new attractions in Twins's relatively large footprint.

But a Mega Lite would be fine too. (Wishful thinking)

Well here I go. I love this park, really I do. I'm not saying it's better then KI, HW or CP because it's not. Twisted Twins was my very first wooden coaster so I have mixed emotions. I thought it was "ok" but the attendence for the ride was I would say almost less the 100 people a day on average.

I think Mile High Falls is staying since DBru is correct, it's still there and looking good. What ever happens next I hope it's good, because if it's not it could mean the doom of this fun little park.

Sadly, They just shipped all the twisted twins trains to SFSL to be scrapped more then likely. I suspect the log ride, the kid rides, and TT will be demolished this offseason.

First of all, the kiddie rides in the Northwest Territory section of the park have been gone for at least 5 years now. The only things that remain in that area are Mile High Falls (not a log ride), the Twins, Zeppelin (flat), and a small stage.

Back when the Northwest Territory was first closed off, the park said that they were going to rehab MHF...and I believe that. When I was last at the park, there were workers walking up and down the lift, the boats were still in the station, and the splash pool had been drained and cleaned out.

Robb, the park has been steadily improving since 2005. I'm glad you all enjoyed your visit, and if EVERYONE went to the park with an open mind, I'm sure they would have a good time there, as well. My only beef with Six Flags is that they seem to remove a major ride (or two) EVERY YEAR, yet never seem to replace it.

In a little more than a decade, the following rides have been removed from the park:

-HUSS Ranger

-Wet/Dry slides

-Kids indoor play area

-HUSS Swing Around

-Chance Chaos

-Vekoma Wakiki Wave

-HUSS Rainbow

I would be completely SHOCKED if someone could inform me of another park that has removed that many rides in such a short period of time (without closing). Now, I'm all for replacing old rides with new ones...but the problem is, nothing's getting replaced!

It was the same thing. And really, its kinda hard to tell if something had been removed behind their great barrier wall as the only tall rides are TT, and Mile High Falls.

and theres a few issues with your list of rides that have been removed, You say they was removed but you didnt say what replaced them. So heres a updated list

-HUSS Ranger

-Schwarzkopf Indoor Jetstar - Replaced by the Thrill Theater

-Vekoma Boomerang (Vampire) - Replaced by Roadrunner, and Sky coaster

-Wet/Dry slides - Replaced by vampire - which was replaced by the rides that replaced it

-Kids indoor play area - never remembered this (guessing this was the first play area where the ball factory is)

-HUSS Swing Around - Replaced by a show

-Chance Chaos - Replaced by deluge

-Vekoma Wakiki Wave - Replaced by Tornado

-HUSS Rainbow

As you can see they have replaced more then half of the rides they have removed . In fact they have added more rides. And the kiddie rides they did remove was because 1. they was in the way of a bigger new ride, and 2. they already had a pretty big kids section.

1997 - Ball Factory

1998 - Medium size lazy river

2003 - Greezed Lighting

2005 - Tornado

2007- Deluge - Buccaneer Beach Remodeled

2008 - Mega Wedgie

Yes thats mostly the waterpark but thats really the thing that brings alot of people to the park that live here.

Alot of other improvements have been made to the park itself such as repainting a majority of the park, and other changes.

What i would like to see happen, is a expansion of the park by removing or doing something to T2 to make it less painful, removing all of the northwest territory, if possible expand around the back of blizzard river to the path that leads up to the batman arena area(behind T2) and add 1 Major roller coaster, 2 medium scale rides and other small rides and activities. They could remove the batman arena also. Its in the way if you ask me. Theres always the amphitheater on the other side also. I also wouldnt mind if they repainted the Wheel either

Another Improvement they need to do, is finish retracking thunder run, and get the train refurbished, or buy a new one altogether.

Too bad Six flags doesnt got the money to do it but all that work alone would increase profits from the park on huge scale. Maybe the City could help . I mean they are willing to throw money at a 400 million dollar bridge that we dont need just to make people in the east end shut up so i dont see a problem helping to pay for some work at the park

-HUSS Ranger

-Wet/Dry slides

-Kids indoor play area

-HUSS Swing Around

-Chance Chaos

-Vekoma Wakiki Wave

-HUSS Rainbow

Great Adventure, rides removed since the beginning of 1999 (end of 1998 season)

Poland Springs Plunge (2nd log flume)

Stuntman's Freefall

Chiller

Swings

Evolution

Jumping Jack Flash (Huss Jump)

Time Warp (Inverter)

Pirate's Flight (Balloon Race)

Spinnaker

A bunch of kiddie rides from Bugs Bunny Land

2 kiddie rides from Looney Tunes Seaport this year

1 kiddie ride from the Golden Kingdom this year

Viper

Taz Twister (Rotor)

Rodeo (Break Dance)

El Sombrero (Trabant)

Chaos

Joust A Bout

Spinmeister (Enterprise)

Pendelum (Frisbee)

Looping Spaceship

Scrambler

Movietown Water Effect (Splashdown Boat)

Adventure Rivers (section of wet/dry slides)

Koala Canyon (kids water play area)

Houidin's Great Escape (SBNO)

Bumper Cars (SBNO)

Music Express (SBNO)

Tango, Rockin Tug (SBNO)

There are probably a few more I missed too.

^But look how many rides Great Adventure has gotton in that time.

A lot of coasters- Medusa, Nitro, Superman, Kingda Ka, El Toro, Dark Knight but not much of anything else.

The only new non coaster rides added since the few rides still there from the War On Lines 1999 additions are a few kiddie rides (Bugs Bunny National Park and 1 ride in Wiggles World) and Tango which has not operated at all this season.

What has happened to the park is it has become nothing but coasters and kiddie rides. The are approximately 12 flats/water rides in the park that are currently operating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the coasters but the lack of rides for people that don't ride coasters is a major problem with the park.

^ sounds great. but id do a few changes, but i like the GCI, but maybe a gravity group coaster but if we manage to get anything, ill take a GCI.

I thyink they need to remove the go karts and use that as a pathway into a new section which they own all the land behind Chang which is huge. Adding with my idea on expanding and improving a few posts above where they connect the back end of the northwest section to the path to the batman arena, i say they finish that out with expanind that into a section goes all the way behind Chang and put a path to connect it at the go-karts location. That section is very promising.

I am probably going to regret this and please don't quote me on my own site. Theres a reason why I didn't post there.

This is what I know;

It appears that four complete trains are on site, they arrived Friday (July 3rd) morning. Sorry next time I will try to get more pictures. These cars look like they are in pretty rough shape, there is more rust than paint on some of them. I think the mega zepth ones sitting in the grass look in better shape.

I would say there is a good chance if they track well they will be put on SE, if not probably parted. At this time I am hearing conflicting reports. However I would say its a good chance they are going onto SE. The last time SE got new trains was 20 seasons ago and the original pair was only on the tracks for 15 seasons.

Oddly enough two days after I sent that photo in I was at HW and ran into a group of SFKK employees. It sounds like from their accounts that whole section of the park is going to be leveled, the bad news is they didn't sound to hopeful that it would be replaced.

Hope that was a little helpful. I will see if I can find out more.

I cant believe its been 4+ years since my last post.

Hmm.. thats what most people want im sure but they have been known to make some dumb decisions, like building a go-kart ride infront of a spot they could expand into and build a entirely new area. with the bad part being they charge 20 dollars for a ride on it.

Well heres my dream plan for the northwest section. I took Cody's basic plan and just expanded it. Most of this will never be done I realize that but you can hope.

Lime Green - Gravity Group/GCI

Aqua - Underground pathway under Thunder Run

Gold - Re-landscaping. (It looks like a overgrown mess at times, and the others are sometime bare)

Navy Blue - Thrill ride section(featuring maybe a Drop zone style ride or something like what SF new orleans had(one side launched, one dropped.), And a frisbee ride.

Purple - Premier Rides Water Coaster(keeps a water ride there and adds a coaster, to my knowledge these dont exist in the US yet)

Pink - Impulse Coaster (like wicked twister, but themed to dragsters)

Dark Green - Not really sure at the moment, but maybe a kind of entertainment area and some other rides.

I wouldnt mind if it took years to make, to me thats the best plan for that section.

1186564797_Northwestsectio2222n.jpg.7b1c88ade524fece42099c5a46644b29.jpg

Ill describe the colors above

Keep in mind too that the park originally wanted both Twisted Twins and even Mile High Falls higher than they ended up, but they were very limited by the proximity of the airport. There was basically only one "high" section in the whole park than runs from the old Hellevator location, Skycoaster, Ferris Wheel and Chang.