Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Page 79: Pirate ship andwater slide are the 2019 additions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:03 pm

^I'm game for a meet up. PM me when you and anybody else want to go. Had a good time there last year and would love to hit Splash Beach. I need a bowlslide credit. :)

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

The Alabama Adventure Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:07 am

As many of you know Alabama Adventure, home of the CCI creation Rampage, was purchased by new owners mid way through last season. You probably also know the park has not always received the greatest reviews from coaster enthusiasts (see here) for many different reason, many because of things the park did to itself. Well 2009 has brought many changes to the park! Some will be viewed as good, some might consider the changes bad. Place me in the former category. IMO, the park looks and is being run as best as it ever has. Lots of things have been done this season and I would like to document some of these changes for you, as well as giving you TPRers that might be visiting the park for the first time on the Deep South Trip a little preview if you will.

Please note these photos have been taken over the course of the entire season, some during the day, some at night, and some in between. I am going to try and post them in an order that will make sense of it so they won't exactly be in chronological order. Enjoy!
CIMG3417.jpg
The front gate area has received some fresh paint this season and some nice new signs informing guests of the park's rules.
ticket purple.jpg
Two of the ticket booths were painted purple with green trim....
green ticket.jpg
...and two were painted green with purple trim. Some nice new signs like this one here for The Veronicas have been placed throughout the park advertising the concert series
fountain test.jpg
What's this? It appears the park has replaced it's interactive fountain with a "new" fountain (seen here simply testing the pump)
fountain night.jpg
Here is the "new" fountain testing after close one night. The park is continuing to fine tune things so it might be a little while before it looks "perfect."
upsurge sign.jpg
The big change this season is the new water slide UpSurge!
sand beach.jpg
One change some might view as "bad" was the removal of the sand beach at the wave pool. This was done because you have to walk through that area to get to UpSurge! This is all that remains of the beach.
upsurge 1.jpg
UpSurge! is a Boomerango from White Water West.
Upsurge 2.jpg
After some turns you drop down then up into a partial half pipe...
upsurge 3.jpg
Then over a small hill and through a water curtain into the splash pool.
upsurge 4.jpg
UpSurge! THROUGH THE TREES!
trash can.jpg
Another thing the park did was repaint many of the trash cans (teal, orange, green, etc.) and add park logos to them to help the park look cleaner.
marvel mania 1.jpg
Marvel Mania also received a new paint scheme!
marvel mania 2.jpg
The train received a logo...
marvel mania 3.jpg
...numbered ride units...
marvel mania 4.jpg
...as well as park logos on the train.
zoomerang 1.jpg
Zoomerang's train also received a new paint job!
CIMG2906.jpg
It also has a new ride logo on the front...
zoomerang 2.jpg
...and yes even more park logo decals!
zoomerang 3.jpg
The train also received some new safety signs (so did many other rider including the Mind SpinNer. Yes, the park renamed Mind Spinder Mind Spinner!)
zoomerang 4.jpg
All of the rides also received new safety signs. Here is the one for Zoomerang.
danger.jpg
Unfortunately, the park also had to add a TON of these signs as well after last summer's events at SFOG.
guest conduct.jpg
Just realized I forgot to post a pic of the new guest conduct signs...
smoking area.jpg
The park almost doubled the smoking areas in the park. They are clearly marked with red lines and red benches. Here is the one by Rampage. There were 8 areas on opening day.
scrambler 1.jpg
Scrambler also received a new paint scheme!
scrambler 2.jpg
It also has new logo decals...
scrambler 3.jpg
...and new number decals!
gorge alabama 1.jpg
The boats on Wild River Gorge also received a new paint scheme. Half feature an "Alabama" scheme...
gorge auburn 1.jpg
...the other half feature an "Auburn" paint scheme (PS...36-0...)
gorge alabama 2.jpg
"Alabama" boat in action.
gorge auburn 2.jpg
"Auburn" boat in action.
cahaba.jpg
The logs on Cahaba Falls also were repainted (again) this year and had hand rails added
space shot.jpg
This change actually happened last year, but the park added higher seats and thicker lap foam on the harnesses. This allowed the park to drop the height restriction from 52" to 48". I hear there could be another change to the ride soon though...we'll see ;)
rampage 1.jpg
And finally, here are some of the changes at Rampage, starting with one of its new safety signs.
rampage 2.jpg
The chasis of the red train was painted gray this year...and all lap bars were recovered with orange foam (they ere all black last year).
rampage 3.jpg
The blue train also had all of its lapbars recovered orange (last year half were black and half were orange). And yes, the park does run both trains when needed!
height stick.jpg
All of the rides also received new height sticks at their entrances/lines. Here is the one for Rampage.
weather rock.jpg
If you have ever visited the park before you know there is a large rock by Marvel Mania. The story goes when they were building the park they were having lots of trouble removing it so they decided to leave it as landscaping. Well this yer the park gave it a "story" so to speak. Meet the "Weather Rock."

Well that does it for major updates so far. I'll post some general park photos from this year later! Thanks for reading!
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:19 pm.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Reon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:22 am

Upsurge looks so much fun! I'd love to get one of those up at Kings Island, and I'm not even a waterpark enthusiast....Anyways, the improvements look great. As someone who works at a small, outclassed park, I appreciate all of the not-so-well known parks
Proud Coney Island Ride-op for 6 years!
Kings Island MSD/Racer crew of 2011
Kings Island Vortex/Windseeker crew of 2012-2013
Best Coaster Ever: :airtimer: Phoenix :airtimer: Top Steel: Intimidator 305 (Maverick in CLOSE 2nd)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Primogen18 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 am

Zoomerang is now sponsored by 80s Metallica? Nice Photo TR though, been curious about this park for a while.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm glad you picked out these improvements because as a first time visitor I saw all these bold objects and got a great first impression of this park.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Solid Gold » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:47 pm

If I chose to take my first visit on say, a weekday in early July, would park operations accommodate a successful visit?

Could I get 5-10 rides on Rampage, 2 on Zoomerang, one on all the other big rides and maybe 2 rides on Upsurge?

CoasterPrince09

Postby CoasterPrince09 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:04 pm

The park looks beautiful. I'm guessing the drop tower is getting a new program? Anyway, I love what AFE is doing with Clementon Park in the North and Alabama Adventure in the south.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby itsasamccormick » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 pm

They have a smaller weather rock at Six Flags St. Louis! So corny!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Solid Gold wrote:If I chose to take my first visit on say, a weekday in early July, would park operations accommodate a successful visit?

Could I get 5-10 rides on Rampage, 2 on Zoomerang, one on all the other big rides and maybe 2 rides on Upsurge?

You could easily do all that. The only "iffy" one would be UpSurge. Even on weekdays the line is usually all the way down the tower since it's the new attraction and has been really popular with guests.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Glad to see all the improvements and great coverage here. Got a kick out of the Alabama and Auburn Rapids boats, although you'd think they'd replace the headrests from where the Soul Glo people sat. Oh well, the new management is trying to brighten the place up. Kudos to them.

Hope to make it down there in a few weeks to have a look. Until then, again, great job in highlighting the good things.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!