Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:25 pm

I was seriously lost walking up to the loading station of Monstars of Rock.

There is an excavator digging in Kids in America. Another friend of mine has gone there this weekend. Last weekend, going to FMP was the springboard for my trip through the South, getting FK, Carowinds, SFOG, AA, Lake Winnie up to Holiday World, SFKK, and KI to close the week. I got pics of Hard Rock Parkway and a FMP park shirt to mark my milestone of reaching this rock park.

I'm not sure when the SC schools were out but the next day when my friend and I went to Carowinds he explained that the NC schools were not out yet. There were not many people at Carowinds on an early June Tuesday.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:44 am

Attendance lower than owners hoped

Attendance lower than owners hoped
By Joel Allen
Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 5:06 p.m.

A Myrtle Beach theme park opens with a splash, makes big plans for the future and then sees attendance fall short of expectations. Sounds like Hard Rock Park last year, but it's Freestyle Music Park this year.

Four weeks after opening, Freestyle officials say attendance is not as good as they had hoped.

One of Freestyle's competitors, Six Flags, declared bankruptcy last week. That shows these are hard times for the theme park industry. But Freestyle officials say their story will not be Hard Rock Park, the sequel.

We visited the park Thursday, a sunny day in mid-June, when you might expect to see big crowds. Instead, the attraction called Myrtle's Beach looks pretty sparse and the roller coasters have empty seats.

Now, that's great for the guests, but park officials were hoping for better. "We've seen a build on attendance and while it's not maybe as high as we expected, we're encouraged by the growth," said John Stine, Freestyle Music Park, Marketing Director.

Stine says, nine weeks into the Freestyle name and four weeks after opening, it's too early to draw conclusions. While attendance is disappointing, Stine says the park's new owners will not be like their predecessors - open one season, and then go broke. "We're here for the long haul. As a matter of fact, we're already working hard on our 2010 season."

Freestyle faced some major challenges: the highly-publicized bankruptcy of the previous owners and a location hidden behind an empty outlet mall. But Stine says the park is addressing those issues by stepping up its marketing campaign and dressing up the park.

Stine says when following behind something that failed the first time, is never easy. "The other side of the coin is, we got a park that's just absolutely spectacular, we got a great destination here and we know that we got, that's a great mix for, that spells success."

Stine says they are seeing attendance build every day and hope the opening of Fantasy Harbour Bridge later this summer will help attract more visitors.

FPI-MB Entertainment bought the park in February for $25 million, after Hard Rock Park went bankrupt last September. Hard Rock Park cost $400 million to build.
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/news_s ... ?id=314661

FPI-MB may be padded for a year or so, but if this poor attendance keeps up, they won't possibly be able to stay afloat... I guess I'm glad that I'll be visiting the park next week, that way I can see it before it becomes the next Geauga Lake...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:27 pm

The park still has the Elvis stained glass window that I believe I saw at the now closed Hard Rock Cafe Dallas.

Edit: Google imaging it: The Dallas one had Elvis sitting on a throne. Unless it's another window from that restaurant that's not it. I saw an Elvis stained glass window from a Nagoya, Japan location that looks more similar to the FMP one.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:15 am

Six Flags is a competitor of FSMP? :lolr:
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rpdonald » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:35 pm

So I've read through this whole thread and I've got an observation. From my point of view the curious thing is the location. It seems to me that there is a high concentration of parks in the S.E. U.S.. So to put a park with so little going for it smack dab right in the middle of this seems a bit ridiculous to me. I live in the Seattle area and I think this area screams for a park of at least this magnitude. Heck even the Rock 'n' Roll theme would work well IMO. I kept reading Las Vegas over and over again as a possible better locale, so I thought I would throw something a little different into the discussion. What do you guys think??

P.S. Sorry for the rambling. I'm new to this posting stuff, but I love this site!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Attendance lower than owners hoped.

OMG!!! REALLY?

SHOCKED!!!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm

"The other side of the coin is, we got a park that's just absolutely spectacular, we got a great destination here and we know that we got, that's a great mix for, that spells success."

If the park is so great, why isn't anyone going?
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:20 pm

I live in the Seattle area and I think this area screams for a park of at least this magnitude.

I can see it now... Curt Cobainland. I'm buying my season pass already.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Well if anybody is going then attendance is better then I had expected. Can't really say this news is the most surprising thing I've read today.
--Allen

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby wickedtwister » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Well really. I've been as it was HRP and FSMP. I really enjoyed it both times. Some more coasters and thrill rides and a actually Entertaining dark ride could be added, as well as promotions deals and more advertisement could be added. Really i'm not going to be a pessimistic person like some people on the boards, but i see hope and a good future for the park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!